Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2004 12:23:59 PM EDT
I was wondering how many people have gave plasma. I just needed to know what they have to do, i have heard that some places pay for it and others dont. I would appreciate any infromation yall have from personal experiences.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I did it once when I was right out of HS.  They gave money for it here.

They put a needle in each arm and would take blood out of one side, run it through a machine that took the plasma out and pump it back in the other side.  It felt kind of cold when the blood was going back in.

I don't remember how much money I got from it, but it was not an incredible amount.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I donate plasma on a pretty regular basis, I've got pretty rare blood, and am told my type is in great demand. Donating plasma takes a little longer than just donating a pint of whole blood, but its not a bad experence. That is as long as the vampire knows what they are doing and can get the vein on the first shot.

1 stick, whole blood is drawn out, centerfuged, and all the blood product minus the plasma is put back in.

I've never taken money for donating blood or plasma.

echo6
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Im curious, after you donate how does it make you feel for the rest of the day or week.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember a few years ago maybe like 3 or 4 I called up a place and I asked how much they paid, at the time I remember thinking that it was pretty good money, but I never actually went and did it.

Now I dont remember how much it was but I was thinking it was like maybe $40 or so.

However just a few weeks ago one of my friends was going to do it and they were telling him that they would only give him $20, which IMO isnt worth it.

Any idea if prices have just dropped because alot of people are doing it or something?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Spartacus556:

Empty... Kinda like when you have sex with someone you just met, wake up, and they are gone.

Only, your ass isn't bleeding and there isn't a $20 taped to your forehead.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Im curious, after you donate how does it make you feel for the rest of the day or week.

I felt fine.  I did not fell any different after I gave blood either.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I donated plasma twice a week for about a year about 8 years ago. $15 cash for each sitting, tax free. I needed the money to buy my wife's wedding ring.

The great thing about donating plasma is that you do not feel tired AT ALL after you donate it - unlike donating blood.

They pump the blood out of you, put it in a centrafuge machine to remove the plasma out of your blood, then pump the blood back into you.

They encourage you to drink a lot of water afterward.

The sessions for me lasted just over an hour. I watched TV the whole time I was there.

Plasma is desperatly needed in the process of operations.

If you go twice a week every week (assuming $15 each visit) that equals $1560. I think I made $1200 that year.

I might just do it again.......good ammo money.

Out
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#8]
hey my friend just got off the phone with them and they said its 50 a week if he does it 2 times a week thats not too bad of money, his main concern is the scaring he dont want to look like a heroin addict you know  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
hey my friend just got off the phone with them and they said its 50 a week if he does it 2 times a week thats not too bad of money, his main concern is the scaring he dont want to look like a heroin addict you know  

If I remember right they gave me some kind of card to prove that I gave plazma.  Since I only did it once I could not tell you if doing it a lot leaves perm. scars.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#11]
For which rifle? The 40 watt or the 40 mega-watt?

CW
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]
An ex girlfriend did it religously...
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried donating it after high school too.  Got the first pint out and I didn't do too well, so they never took the second pint.  I don't have any problem at all with needles, but I was pretty scrawny back then.  I'm 80 lbs. heavier now so I should try it again.

Nowadays, I have an abundance of plasma, so stop by the farm some time and I'll give you as much as you need.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I still have small scars. You would not notice them unless you were really looking for them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I used to give on a regular basis and never had a problem.  AFter my multiple back surgeries I gave twice and each time my pain level increased dramitically.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#17]
A good friend of mine is unemployed (by choice, he's lazy), he gives plasma twice a week. They give you $15 the first sitting, and $35 the second sitting 2-3 days later in the same week, so thats $200 a month. He is sometimes there 3-4 hrs, not because of the procedure, but because of the amount of ppl there and waiting. They do use a BIG needle for plasma, I wanna say 12ga. He recommends not eating fatty foods before you go or it will take longer and to drink lots of water. He does have some scars from giving plasma regularly for the last 6mos. They don't look like junky track marks, but they ain't preatty either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top