Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 8:08:05 PM EST
So, I've had one of these things on the bottom of my right foot for well over a year. I've tried seeing the Doctor and doing the freeze treatments. After doing that 4 times and getting charged for it, It never really worked and was quite painful for a few days.

So, My next deal was to try and get rid of it myself. I picked up a little bottle of this stuff from walgreens and it claims to get rid of it by applying it twice a day. So I did that for a month or two and it really looked like it was healing up.

Now, After a 1-2 months it slowly came back. It's not bad but I want to get rid of it. It's not nasty in any way but it's uncomfortable at times.

I think the #1 issue is that my feet sweat anytime I wear shoes or boots. If i walk around in socks they stay dry. I think sweaty feet is what prohibits the healing.

Any tips?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:09:36 PM EST
The Dr. has to basically carve those suckers out of your foot, then freeze.

It's a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:15:01 PM EST
They are caused by a virus, all treatments are only temporary.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:15:13 PM EST
look up the apple cider vinager methood. It works sometimes

disclaimer: I am not a doctor. This is just my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:20:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By Zedhead:
The Dr. has to basically carve those suckers out of your foot,.

Yea, The only way I got rid of it was to grab my knife and carve it out. There is a little black seed you need to get out before it wont come back.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:22:30 PM EST
Use duct tape. Place it over the wart. Everytime you shower take a scrub brush and scrub the hell out of it. It will take about a week but it will get rid of it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:23:49 PM EST
Thuja Occidentalis tincture.

Seriously, look into it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:24:57 PM EST
Me speaking as a doctor: Go see a podiatrist and have it removed professionally.

Me speaking as my own personal experience: Get something to bite on, because it will really hurt when you carve deep enough to hit living tissue. A pocket knife is too large - scalpels or new sterilized razor blades are better. Ice cubes help numb things a bit, and a few weeks of using that wart killer stuff can cut down on the amount of carving.

Really, though, you're better off having a podiatrist cut it out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:25:54 PM EST
after multiple freezes and cut outs, the only thing that got rid if a couple stubborn warts was a laser

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:27:56 PM EST
Duct tape, it works. Just keep peeling the dead skin off around the wart. After a few weeks it will come out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:32:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 8:33:33 PM EST by AZdrifter]
Leave it the hell alone.
I tried duct tape, freezing it, lasers, cutting. Just grew back bigger.
Spent ~2k in copays and many days healing up.
Last year the thing turned black and died on its own. weird.

Edit - had it for 12 years
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:02:10 PM EST
I used that solvent stuff, then carved a giant hole in the bottom of my foot. Took forever to get rid of the fucker.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:10:06 PM EST

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:12:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:

Yes it's a virus, but you can permanently remove a wart.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:12:14 PM EST
At the doctor's ask for blyomycin(sp?) or something like that its some kind of anti-viral med that they inject into the wart. then 2 weeks later they cut it out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:12:44 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:55:36 PM EST
The only sure fire way to get rid of it in one treatment is what I call "The Lightning Method."

Your Podiatrist will numb the area around the wart, and proceeds to use what is basically the Lightning Gun from Quake 3, and fry the wart.

Soon, your little examination room will fill with the smell of burning flesh, and when it is done, he'll bandage you up, and off you go...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:01:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 10:12:52 PM EST by GlutealCleft]
The Dr. has to basically carve those suckers out of your foot, then freeze.

It's a lot of fun.

Go see a dermatologist. He can make your body "allergic" to the wart, and your own body will fight it off. It is slow, but painless.

Ever since I was a kid, I've had warts (including plantar warts) on my feet. With freezing them, they'd come back every six months. They tried freezing them, cutting off the blisters, and applying acid. No luck. They tried direct antiviral injections... no luck.

Finally, I went to a dermatologist. He used a technique that tricks your body into being allergic to the warts, so your own immune system fights them off. It is slow, but works amazingly well. And since your immune system is getting involved, it can somewhat increase your resistance. Once I used that treatment, they only come back about every ten years - and each time, they don't come back as badly.

When I get the plantar warts, they go all the way through my skin - epidermis, dermis, the whole works - as deep as they can possibly grow. They also get big, to where they interfere with my ability to walk. But I just go in once each week, they swab them, and I go home. After a month or two, they're gone, and the worst pain I've had was maybe a little soreness for a day or so. On the otherhand, I've known people who went to the podiatrist... since all he has is a scalpel, all he can do is carve a big chunk out of your foot ("When the only tool you own is a hammer..."), and my friends who have gone that route have had a VERY painful time for a while after that. The "allergic treatment" takes longer, but is a whole lot easier on you than carving up your foot.

The dermatologist is definitely a better choice. Go see one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:51:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:

My doc told me that 30%- 40% of all warts come back.

If you found a successful way to treat it, continue. Eventually you'll get the viral core out of the wound and it won't come back.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:54:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mountaineer51:

Yea, The only way I got rid of it was to grab my knife and carve it out. There is a little black seed you need to get out before it wont come back.

+1 You need to carve it out.

Sterilize the sharpest knife you have a start digging. It actually doesnt hurt if you just cut out the wart since there are no nerve endings in the wart material.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:54:49 PM EST
My son had a few very large ones on his foot. After about 3 treatments from one Pod Dr, Antibiotics, scraping and freezing, nothing worked.

We took him to a different Pod and he prescribed a small bottle of pasty acid, we applied 3 times a day and covered with tape. After about 3 months they finally died and have not been back, this was over a year ago.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:09:25 PM EST

I too once thought there were seeds in the wart...turns out its just dead skin/ necrosis. And after all that digging...haha.

I've tried freezing, duct tape, etc....sometimes it works , more often it doesn.t They are bastards.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:51:10 PM EST
You will probably think I'm crazy for saying this but.... When my brother was young he had planter warts on his foot. So my mom took him to our pediatrician who was near retirement. However, he said before I perscribe him any medicine try giving him two teaspoons of Pepto Bismol a day and see if that works. He said the active ingredient in the medicine was also found in Pepto. So my mom gives my brother two teaspoons of Pepto for a couple of weeks and guess what the warts vanish and he never got them again.

Then I come along and I get a wart also. So my mom gives me Pepto and it goes away after a few days and I have never got them again. You may just want to try that and see if it works, it did for my brother and I.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:55:10 PM EST

Brake cleaner FTW
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:28:55 AM EST
I am sure the Arfcom doctors (real ones) will freak out.

About 20 years ago after graduating from College and moving 350 miles from home I developed plantar warts for the first time. I tried everything including digging them out and nothing worked and only led to more pain. I am a walker, and these things were a problem I was going to be done with.

I heated up the end of a length of steel coat hangar wire red-hot over one of the gas burners of the stove or with a lighter and sunk that directly into the center of the wart. It hurt bad at first, but the nerves would die and the pain would subside to tolerable levels. I would apply the heat in cycles until I felt I was deep enough. I had three or four of them on my left foot, it killed them and they did not come back. For me at that age (24), they healed pretty quickly covered with neosporin and a band-aid.

It hurt but it worked.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:29:29 AM EST
You can get rid of them with liquid nitrogen and a Qtip. I have had several in my lifetime and a qtip dipped in nitogen and applied with some force can kill it and get to the root.

For those that dont know, this type of wart grows in not out so the common methods to get rid of a wart will make this type of wart laugh at your normal procedures to rid yourself of a wart.

Good luck my friend, I know how painfull these warts can be.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:41:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 3:42:24 AM EST by Glock9]
My son had them and went through the pain of freezing them, cutting them and finally found a doctor who put silver nitrate on them. Like magic they were gone and never returned
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:12:30 AM EST

Or do it yourself... When I was 16 or 17 I had one on the bottom of my right big toe. After a couple freeze treatments and then acid on it every day for a few weeks, I started digging with a knife and tweezers. I ended up pulling 7 or 8 "seeds" out of the center of it and they went DEEP. The tops of them were probably 1/16" to 1/8" below the normal surface of the skin and the length of the seeds were around 1/4" to 5/16" long. You do the math on how deep they went...

What it left me with was a crater in my toe that practically went to the bone, BUT, I never had another wart on that toe again. I fought with that stupid thing for over a year and 1/2 before I finally had enough of it and started hacking on it.

I've had a few since then that I've been able to simply freeze off, but they usually take a few applications.

FWIW, if you go buy the "compound W freeze off" stuff, it does the same thing as the doc does. Also, save the little applicators because you can re-use them if you want. Once you run out of the "freezing" solution in the can, just grab the "can of air" that you use for dusting your computer and place the applicator in the orifice. Use it the same exact way as the compound W solution and you'll save a LOT of money on that stuff.

I've been using the can of air for the last year or two when I get these things and it works just fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:38:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By MACGI98Z28:
I am sure the Arfcom doctors (real ones) will freak out.

About 20 years ago after graduating from College and moving 350 miles from home I developed plantar warts for the first time. I tried everything including digging them out and nothing worked and only led to more pain. I am a walker, and these things were a problem I was going to be done with.

I heated up the end of a length of steel coat hangar wire red-hot over one of the gas burners of the stove or with a lighter and sunk that directly into the center of the wart. It hurt bad at first, but the nerves would die and the pain would subside to tolerable levels. I would apply the heat in cycles until I felt I was deep enough. I had three or four of them on my left foot, it killed them and they did not come back. For me at that age (24), they healed pretty quickly covered with neosporin and a band-aid.

It hurt but it worked.

This.

After many failed attempts at having the doc. dig/freeze it out, I did almost the exact same thing, except I used boiling water. First I cut out as much of the wart tissue as possible. Then, boiling a big kettle of water, I took a plain drinking straw, put it in the water and held my finger over the end, forming a vacuum to keep the water from dripping out. Then put the open end of the mouth of the straw over the wart and released my finger off the straw so the water would sit directly against the wart. Did this a few times 'till the wart and surrounding flesh was white. Worked like a charm. Killed the mian wart and several smaller surrounding ones.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:40:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By rwk3:
Duct tape, it works. Just keep peeling the dead skin off around the wart. After a few weeks it will come out.

A big +1! My son had one that was bothering him badly. We tried every over the counter method known, no luck. Had an appointment at a podiatrist set. A nurse who works with my wife told us to try duct tape, figuring we had nothing to lose we did. Two days later he pulled the tape, wart, root, everything popped right out, hasn't come back in 6 months.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:49:05 AM EST
This is what worked for me while I was underway in the great USN.

Dr scholls chemical patches. Place on foot and leave it there. At the end of the day take it off.

Turn a can of "Dust Off"(compressed air) up side down and carefully spray affected area. Be very careful as you can cause permanent nerve damege with freezing. repeat and it will go away.
I promise.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:50:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 4:50:40 AM EST by sporter]

Use the over the counter equate brush on wart remover/killer.

1st day apply covering all of wart.
2nd day apply again.
3rd scrape away ONLY dried dead portions of said wart and re-apply wart remover.
4th: see 1st day, start over.

This will have it gone in about 3-4 weeks.

Been there done that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:57:26 AM EST
Finger nail clippers and a hot soldering iron.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:23:55 AM EST
Thanks for all the tips, Guys!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:00:58 PM EST
I've had one for 5 years on my right foot...

It doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:34:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By ToddB:
Originally Posted By rwk3:

A big +1! My son had one that was bothering him badly. We tried every over the counter method known, no luck. Had an appointment at a podiatrist set. A nurse who works with my wife told us to try duct tape, figuring we had nothing to lose we did. Two days later he pulled the tape, wart, root, everything popped right out, hasn't come back in 6 months.

yep
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:26:53 PM EST
There used to be a product called Vergo. It actually worked, so they took it off the market. I put it on a wart I had on a finger, and a week later the plantar that I had on my foot for at least a year was gone.
Top Top