Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/27/2002 8:46:26 PM EST
Is it possible to claim residency in one state while working in another? I might be beginning work as a software consultant and have begun investigating the benefits (tax-wise) of becoming incorporated as a business in the state of Nevada and then contracting out to do work in PRK. Those thoughts quite logically led me to start thinking about how nice it would be to finally be able to purchase any number of Evil Weapons not available here in the enlightened PRK...dare I think...gasp...even Class III's! So I started thinking about how if I could just get myself classified as a resident of Nevada, my life would be a immeasurably better. The scenario basically entails me purchasing/renting some sort of house or apartment which I will furnish and otherwise treat as my residence, including it being my mailing address, except that I'll be spending most of the week working, and spending weekday nights in PRK. Does anyone know what I need to do to satisfy the BATF as a resident of one state even though I may be drawn by work into another? I've read the BATF's site and the only thing I remember is that a residence is defined as something something a place where a person intends to make a home. That got me worried that there might be some sort of asinine "time spent at claimed residence" requirement that would determine a person's residence by where he/she spends the most time at. But people who would normally be recognized (to the layman) to live in a particular state are commonly required to travel all over the place for a multitude of jobs; airlines, railroads, military, various business functions, etc. So if I wanted to get a house in Nevada..what else would I have to do and/or how long would I have to wait until I could be considered a resident? Is there such a thing as dual residency between states, much as some countries recognize dual citizenship? Oh, and if anyone as any informed advice or experience with incorporating in the state of Nevada...or in general I'd also be very appreciative. Might there be a light at the end of the tunnel? Might I one day have a collection of EBR's to post here at this bastion of 2nd amendment celebration? Might I one day be [more] free?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:07:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:29:03 AM EST
I think if you actually have a place in NV, with copies of the utility bills and the like, you can establish residency there. You will want to register to vote in NV as well. The biggest issue is taxes, and from what I can tell from the research I did in 1999-2000, is that you are taxed based on where you did the work, not where you live. So, even if you are a true independent contractor, with an office in NV, if you work in CA you will have to pay CA income taxes. If you work out of your house in NV and transmit your work to CA, you do not pay CA income taxes since you performed the work in NV. If you are a contractor working for a bodyshop in CA, you will most likely have to pay CA income taxes.
Top Top