Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2002 6:09:57 PM EDT
Looking for the following:
At least enough land to have my own 300 yd range
Real Trees
with house or without(may motorhome & need just pad & hookup)
good gun laws
low taxes
not too cold
not near interstate or city
Wallyworld nearby
low cost of living
some hardwoods
fishing would be nice
will probably not be full time resident
Any info about a good quiet place to retire will be appreciated..

Edited to add that this is between a year and two years from now...
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Duluth Minnesota/Superior Wisconsin. Either city is right on the border and right at the tip of Lake Superior, largest fresh water lake in the world. Great hunting/fishing. WI has lenient gun laws. Both cities 3hrs from Minneapolis/St.paul & 3hrs from Canadian border. Practically no crime. Great weather. Could go on and on.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Northern Arizona. A lot of wooded land for sale at good prices.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#3]
This may be obvious, but DO NOT, repeat DO NOT come to Kali.

Not that we wouldn't mind the company, but save yourself.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
spent 20 years in the desert...   Need water to reconstitute...   I've become a dried out old fart...
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I hear ya Kali...   I've had enough "mission tile" for a while...
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Aimless;  What area are ya in NY?   I lived in Niagara county for 15 years and hunted/skied southern tier...   That's a possibility..
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Duluth Minnesota/Superior Wisconsin. Either city is right on the border and right at the tip of Lake Superior, largest fresh water lake in the world. Great hunting/fishing. WI has lenient gun laws. Both cities 3hrs from Minneapolis/St.paul & 3hrs from Canadian border. Practically no crime. Great weather. Could go on and on.
View Quote

He asked for "not too cold" and "low taxes"----and you recommend the Duluth, MN and Superior, WI area?  You've got to be kidding!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
How 'bout South Carolina.   Woods water wilds wimmin whiskey wunnerful.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Aimless,

Are you in Police work there? Just wondering!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Yup, LEO, I use to work up at OSU PD.  Know any of them?  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't know the gun laws, but I always thought Western Montana might be the ticket.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:48:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Cannot really reccomend Iowa because we are not friendly to the full-auto crowd. If that is not a hindrance, southern Iowa may fit the bill if you happen to pick a county that will issue CCW permits.

Missouri might be a good choice, but they don't currently have CCW.

My uncle recently relocated to Arkansas and loves it. Don't know anything about their gun laws though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:43:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't know the gun laws, but I always thought Western Montana might be the ticket.
View Quote

Not a bad idea. I believe Wyoming has low taxes. There might be parts of either state that will have milder winters, though they can be cold and windy in most parts.

Nebraska isn't too bad. I'll return there when I retire in 20-30 yrs. SW Nebr. is pretty temporate, not as dry as Arizona but a lot less humid than the eastern half. Nebr's biggest fault, gun laws wise, is NO concealed carry permits. Open carry is okay, class 3 full-auto is okay, heck-about everything is okay-just NO concealed carry. [:(]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:05:41 AM EDT
[#18]
South Western Kentucky near Cumberland Lake.
The Dam release water keeps the Cumberland River cold enough to catch trout year round. Low population, CCW state, good turkey and deer hunting, good water, good land prices, and friendly people.  In Russell County the main stay for farmers is cattle.  It has lots of rolling pasture and the cost of living appears to be low.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:07:16 AM EDT
[#19]
i thynk you better keep your butt here in the desert...,it'll rain again some day.....![:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#20]
As far as ny.....my opinion is....the farther s/west you get...the better......oswego is nice.....so is some of the north...(cold)...but near allegheny....etc.....LOTS of hunting--fishin---open land....and close to pa......(and...the deer get pretty big here in wny)....[:)]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Coos County, just south of te halfway mark on the Oregon coast. Big trees, reasonable prices, lots of shooters, no crowds. Not hot. I live just south of here, go surf this site;
[url]http://www.bandon.com/[/url]
and here; [url]http://bandonbythesea.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Wyoming has every one of those things you want.  Lots of land, mild winters, low crime, prarie of mountains, and lots of friendly people.  Gun laws are also great, and we are a shall issue state.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#24]
East Texas should fit all your requirements.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Southern Idaho fits all of your wants but maybe the not to cold one. Winters here are mild compared to some of the parts of the country but we still get the cold and some snow. We are classified as a frozen desert and don't get tons of rain but it's not anything like AZ.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top