Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2009 4:40:58 AM EDT
I've heard two sides to this debate.

1. Leaving rounds in mags for extended periods weakens the springs.  You should unload them and relieve the pressure.

2. Magazine springs are designed to be under pressure and it's OK to leave them loaded for extended periods.  The loading/unloadnig cycling is what weakens them over time.

Which is it?

Either?  Both (depending on the quality of the springs)?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:43:42 AM EDT
[#2]
leave them loaded.

compression and decompression weakens the springs, not resting in either position.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

1. Leaving rounds in mags for extended periods weakens the springs.  You should unload them and relieve the pressure.

2. Magazine springs are designed to be under pressure and it's OK to leave them loaded for extended periods.  The loading/unloadnig cycling is what weakens them over time.

Which is it?

I think the true answer is in the middle of those extremes.  The force will be reduced, but the spring will still function as it should.  There was a link posted some time ago where the actual force of the spring was measured...and after like 5 years, there was a 20% or more drop in force...though the spring still worked as it should have.  I don't know how to follow up on that link though...I'll fool around with google for a bit...
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

all 300 or so mags i have for everything i own stay loaded.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:50:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
leave them loaded.

compression and decompression weakens the springs, not resting in either position.

/thread
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm still unconvinced either way.

I haven't noticed any lack of function in mags that I have kept loaded for months at a time.

BUT...

I have noticed that old-time flashlights that have had batteries stored for months at a time lose a LOT of spring tension and even when stocked with fresk batteries, they get intermittent contact and flickering due to weakened springs. It's probably attributable to crappy spring wire in the flashlights (haven't noticed this problem with maglites), but it does concern me.

In any case, almost every gun has springs that are somewhat pre-compressed (not to their full range, but compressed nonetheless). yet there are no shortage of century old firearms that function just fine with all original springs (including old integral magazine bolt action guns).

Even an unloaded mag's spring is under compression. If you are truly worried about a magazine spring taking a "set" you'd have to remove the floorplate and store it disassembled. Same goes for your AR's buffer tube.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:53:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Loaded.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Leave them full.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:17:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:21:13 AM EDT
[#10]
on a related note ... can anyone recommend a vendor who sells GI quality replacement mag springs?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
on a related note ... can anyone recommend a vendor who sells GI quality replacement mag springs?

Take your pick:

Chrome Silicon

Stainless steel
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

http://www.specializedarmament.com/catalog/Accessories_Tools-12-0.html

I prefer the red springs.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Leaving rounds in mags for extended periods weakens the springs. You should unload them and relieve the pressure.

2. Magazine springs are designed to be under pressure and it's OK to leave them loaded for extended periods. The loading/unloadnig cycling is what weakens them over time.

Which is it?

Either? Both (depending on the quality of the springs)?

Ditto

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Full.

Anecdoal.  But I fired three mags that had been loaded in 1944-45 a few years ago and all worked fine.

I've shot loaded mags of mine that were 10 or so years old and all worked fine.

Actually, from what I understand the working of the springs (loading and unloading) is actually what weakens them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:53:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take your pick:

Chrome Silicon

Stainless steel

well you just opened up a whole new can of worms.

chrome silicon vs stainless steel?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#16]
i keep em loaded when i can afford the ammo to do so
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I wonder about leaf springs and roll springs like the ones in aftermarket 10/22 mags?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is SPARTA!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#19]
If I have them, I load them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Even an unloaded mag's spring is under compression. If you are truly worried about a magazine spring taking a "set" you'd have to remove the floorplate and store it disassembled. Same goes for your AR's buffer tube.

The springs under your truck . . . .

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#21]
leave them loaded
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is it?

+1

But I don't have that many mags.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Someone breaks into your house,you gonna call a time out and say wait til I load?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Note to physicists and mechanical engineers:

The spring strength equation does NOT have a variable for time.  In other words, keeping your spring loaded does not reduce its strength.  But over compressing the spring will cause deformation and ruin it.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Empty.  Why load mags you have in storage? It's enough weight on the shelves as it is.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I keep my P-Mags loaded with the dust covers on. I've got three of the six 1911 mags I've got loaded, but one is in the gun and the other two are close by in case I would need them for whatever reason. Everything else is empty. If I can't fight a home invader or the like off with 25 rounds of .45 ACP, 9 rounds of 12 gauge, and 140 rounds of 5.56mm, I'm screwed anyways. And I'll be deaf the rest of my life regardless.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#27]
The mags that are currently in service are kept loaded.  The mags that aren't in service stay unloaded.  P-Mags and 1911 mags are rotated every few months in/out of service.  I'm more concerned about deformed/cracked feed lips more than anything else.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Guess my problem is that I need more guns and rifles.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Loaded.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is it?

I'll side with this guy, I think he knows what he's talking about.

(I keep mine loaded, too.)
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Full.  What's the point of having an empty magazine?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#33]
leave them loaded.

they still have 1911 mags loaded from WWII that function fine today.

you do more harm in loading and unloading then keeping them loaded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top