Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2002 10:23:10 AM EDT
How often have the media bitched about access to military operations?

Yet here we are, they finally get good access to Anaconda and what do they give us? 30 second clips... Even the footage on CNN's website was a bunch of 30 second clips from different tapes spliced togeater.

Fuck military censorship- what is the MEDIA holding out on us.  They should be running all tapes the DoD releases UNCUT, UNEDITED, and without their stupid talking heads blathering over it.  I think they are far more concerned about any of their principals loosing face time and the $ associated with it than they are about covering the war...UNLESS it furthers their agenda. We saw every second of COFFINS being unloaded in Germany live- but they wont run the full tapes of combat in Afghanistan...

I am just livid...[pissed][frag]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The press has respected the right of that slain reporter's family to grieve in peace, however every morning Katie is shoving a microphone in the face of some GI's widow and asking her about how she feels.  WTF?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Edited to add poll.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#3]
'I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore' the Hun screams out his window, to no one in particular.

Be that as it may, I don't give a rat's rear what NBC, CBS and ABC show of the War - I never watch those stations anyway.

Fox News is doing a pretty good job, IMHO, of showing as much of the War as is commercially possible.

I would love to be watching the 'All War, All of the Time' Channel, but I'm not certain that it's available.

But smart people know where to find the good stuff, the others are just barely able to point to North America on a globe, much less the land-mass of Eurasia.

The only reason they can pick out North America is cause it looks like those maps they show on the weather segment of the evening news.

So I say let the networks broadcast as they desire - it's the law.

Too bad we did away with tests for being able to vote in elections so long ago!

Eric The(JustKidding!LetTheMentalMidgetsHaveTheirVote,AsWell)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#4]
This isnt a poll about "should they be required to broadcast" the footage.  That would make them a propaganda arm of the government. No, I was wondering how many thought they had a MORAL obligation, as a matter of honesty, to pass on everything they get, so there isn't even the apperance of impropriety.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry. But of course they [u]should[/u] show a whole lot more of the fighting!

They should stop pushing the Democrat agenda so blatantly, too, but I doubt that stops anyone.

Maybe the Pentagon should just set up a t.v. in their briefing room and let it run 24/7.

I'll guarantee you that CSpan would have it on quite often.

Eric The(Apologetic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#6]
"it's a free press".

i like the "War Channel(tm)".

i am sure there's a war going on somewhere at any given time. if not, there must be a "police action" or insurgency. in a pinch, the War Channel could hire mercenaries from the back of SOF and start one.

the DOD could sell combat footage and buy another cruise missle.

what i want to know is what sort of advertisers would pay for airtime on the War Channel. beer and gun makers would be naturals. i'm not sure body bags would go over well, tho.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If you been listening to Rush at all during the last month, you know the Democrats are SCARED TO DEATH of Bush's high poll numbers, and these high poll numbers are in part due to the War on Terrorism.

Over the last two months, they've tried everything to get his poll numbers down:

1. Jackass Hollings and his attempt to link Bush to Enron.

2. Light in the Loafers Leahy stonewalling  the judicial appointments.

3. Dickless Daschle (now to be called Tom Dasschole, if ya knows what I means ) holding up tax cuts and economic stimulus.

4. And most recently Black-hater Byrd and Dipshirt Dasschole questioning everything from the Pentagon to paper clips re: the War effort.

They've all failed MISERABLY.

Now they pull out a dirty but familiar play from teh playbook -

Get the media hacks to undermine Bush's credibility thru biased news coverage (all teh while Congressional Dems claiming to support Bush. Did anyone hear Tom Dasschole today claiming to support the President? He MUST think we are idiots.)

CBS, NBC and ABC are nothin more that a wing of the Democratic Party.

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#8]
the media are like bad scripts from far west wing, showing what they see and what they want you to see, not what is really happening.  
this is how they educate the masses that it is much better and safer to live as abused slaves rather than fight and die for something that you believe in.
the media sux.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with Mr. Hun.

FNC is the only news that I can stomach to watch.

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Hell, boyz, I'm watching the coverage on Fox News, and they're running wall to wall coverage of the [u]individual[/u] soldiers at the Gardez battlefront!

It's heartwarming! They start every sequence off with a different guy from a different unit.

They've even had some Brits on the air!

Now that's what I like about Fox News!

Eric The(GottaGo!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree that they should not edit such footage to change the apparent events and circumstances (creative editing) but hey, it's a free country. They're even free to LIE.

Maybe we should have a 'war footage' channel.  Nothing but uncut, unedited, and live war footage, 24-7.   I'd watch it!

CJ
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ever see a segment of "Jay_walking" on the Leno show?? Best I can figger is he has a TREMENDOUS amount of footage doing interviews outside the DNC Conventions during election years.
View Quote

Of course, Leno's only going to put on the stupidest and strangest.  It's hard to get laughs at someone who knows the answers.  Hardly a representative cross section of America.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#13]
... I'm getting sit-reps, and pictures too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, I was wondering how many thought they had a MORAL obligation, as a matter of honesty, to pass on everything they get, so there isn't even the apperance of impropriety.
View Quote

This would be expecting an awful lot from our "unbiased professional journalists of the American media"...
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#15]
"I like the War Channel(tm)
View Quote

Well didn't CNN basicly do just that during Desert Storm?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Care to pass on your links?

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

... Guess I shouldn't have even said anything, but I can't now. I'll say this much, flak has been heavy enough to ground aircraft.
I'll post pix once declassified.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did anyone hear Tom Dasschole today claiming to support the President? He MUST think we are idiots.)
View Quote

We are. (speaking as average joe america)

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree 100%, ArmdLbrl. I was just discussing this same topic the other day. We should all know the good, bad and ugly of War. They pulled this same shit during the Gulf War. What a joke. Do you really expect the Military to give us the real truth? Freedom of the Press is pretty damn important. Without it, we have Fascism. Frankly, with all the ultra-right members on this board, I am surprised at the poll results.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

... Guess I shouldn't have even said anything, but I can't now. I'll say this much, flak has been heavy enough to ground aircraft.
I'll post pix once declassified.
View Quote

YOU.. YOU... Uhg... You military guys with .mil access shouldn't even be voting on this! All you do is inflame my jealousy...

Can you confirm though that the Apache units are asking for bayonets for their Chain Guns?[;D]

Its a joke, but they must be flying really low for a Apache to get hit in the canopy by a RPG. What are they doing, flying up to the caves and firing right into the opening point blank?!?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Here, guys...have some fun in this directory:

I'm not going to post it as a hot link, though...if you go back a directory or two in a manual edit, you'll know why.

http://jccc.afis.osd.mil/LBOX/full/

This is a minor security hole in action.  Have fun while it lasts!

Yes, this security hole has been reported to the relevant webmaster.  Some time ago.  It's not YOUR fault they haven't closed it!

There's nothing here that's classified, though.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here, guys...have some fun in this directory:

I'm not going to post it as a hot link, though...if you go back a directory or two in a manual edit, you'll know why.

http://jccc.afis.osd.mil/LBOX/full/

This is a minor security hole in action.  Have fun while it lasts!

Yes, this security hole has been reported to the relevant webmaster.  Some time ago.  It's not YOUR fault they haven't closed it!

There's nothing here that's classified, though.

CJ
View Quote

They closed it down on me, and I didn't get to finish looking at them all. Some good AR pics though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top