Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 10:55:50 PM EDT
Looking at getting a pipe, what's the best pipe and tobacco for starters?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Chartwell is one of my favorites, packs well, smooth, not bitter, no bite, and smells good......
Damn, I just described the perfect woman!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Acapulco Gold?

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:17:36 AM EDT
[#3]
AZ-K9,

That's kind of like asking, "I'm getting my concealed carry permit. What's the best handgun and ammunition for concealed carry?"help
Get a pipe tool. You can pick them up pretty cheap from a tobacconist or from a drugstore. Or you can get relatively expensive ones. Speaking of drugstores, you can pick up some tobacco there. While there are lots of fancy, custom mixes of tobacco at smoke shops, there's nothing wrong with the Captain Black line and similar that you can get at drug and variety stores (though you'll get some folks who regard some less expensive pipes and tobaccos the way some people here have about "tupperware" and some lower-priced weaponshes
Part of the joy of pipe smoking for me is the variety of pipes and all the paraphernalia that smoking pipes entails -- but you can accessorize as much or a little as you want after you get a few basic things.

Check out www.pipes.org/

Enjoy your pipe,
Chris
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:21:28 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, I tried pipe-smoking once for a brief time. Didn't enjoy it nearly as much as sitting next to someone smoking a pipe.

I found cigars to be MUCH more enjoyable, and equally pleasant to the nose.

Pipes can be had for cheap in Walgreens. No point blowing lots of $$$ up front. Also, I always liked Borkum's Riff tobacco, which is what my dad used to smoke. Comes in a white can or bag with a sailing/nautical design drawn on it in black. Can also be found in Walgreens/Eckerd/CVS, etc. Great for starters.

YMMV. Either way, I hope you enjoy it!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm going to start a vile, evil, addicting vice.  Which brand should I choose?

-Troy

So many to choose from: cocaine, heroin, crystal meth, crack....

Oh! You meant TOBACCO! Sorry!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:56:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I loved the smell of that cherry tobacco my granddad smoked.  In the real world though I thought it tasted like shit.  

Now, if I could just talk the old lady into pipe smoking...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:58:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't stink like cigarettes do, but still better to not smoke at all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#9]
there should be several threads on pipe smoking that a search would drag up.  

NOTE: don't get hung up by the pipe smoking purists who just make everything complicated and expensive; go to the drug store and buy a corn cob pipe and some half and half or captain black.  if you like it, then go nuts sir!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't smoke.  It's dirty, expensive, and harmful to your health.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#11]
It is NOT good for anything in your mouth.  Cancer and dentures may be in your future.  (Mrs B used to work for a dentist, and encountered some "fun" cases.)  IIRC, Ericthe(NotAnymore)Hun stopped a little while ago in order to avoid those two experiences.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#14]
As said above, get a cob pipe. They cost about $6 and once they build up a layer of carbon most people can't tell the difference between cob or Dunnhill briar.  I like Davinci tobacco.  That is the best blend that I've found so far.  My pipe smoking is limited to one or two bowls per week.  I get pipe bite if I smoke everyday.

No smoking at all is healthier than pipe smoking.  That is a fact.  I think pipe smoking is much less dangerous than cigarettes.  Nobody I know of smokes a pipe all day but many people smoke cigarettes all day.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, apparently (I don't know, haven't found 'em, but I've been told) there are studies that show that people who smoke a pipe tend to live longer than people who don't smoke, because it's supposed to be destressing. Of course, you have to decide if it's worth living longer with no teeth and with a tumor on your gums.

If you do start, make sure to not inhale it, it only stays in your mouth.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I’m not normally one to preach, but my advice is just don’t start!

I smoked a pipe for twenty years.  Quitting was an enormous struggle (which resulted in a serious weight gain).

Even though I quit over fifteen years ago, my eye doctor claims he can still see the results of my smoking in my retina.

And the first time I visited my current dentist, he knew I was a pipe smoker from my worn down right, front teeth.  (Apparently some pipe smoker’s teeth actually start to move around, but I don’t seem to have developed that problem.)

That said, I always liked the bourbon flavored Borkum Riff tobacco.  I used matches to light up (a regular lighter is a good way to burn the top of your bowl).  And don’t forget to get some sort of stand for your pipes.  Also, let a pipe cool down before using it again or you’ll ultimately burn it out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#17]
These posts just reminded me of something;
Give up the idea of smoking, or any other use of tobacco, but check out some of the cool pipes out there. I've seen collections that you aren't allowed to even touch the bowls, much less put something in them.  [
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#18]
My dad used to smoke Amphora - in the blue pouch.

He quit, after many years of smoking 2-3 bowls each evening. Limited it to (real) holidays - and only one pipefull.

Of course, cancer still got him, but it was the one that runs in the family, not lung or mouth CA...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top