Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Back then, if you were just a ethical person you followed all the laws. Jefferson once said "Ignorance is no excuse for the law." I don't honestly know if he would say the same thing today. Back then, the average Joe that just was a good man could get by without any run-ins with the law. Today a decent man can't even live like that. With so many laws, morals just don't work the way they used to.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Based soley on what I've learned from books and Western historians, I think the best thing about that period of time would be the code of honor most pioneers had.  

If a man gave you his word, you knew you could count on it. Helping neighbors was a common occurence.

Women and children were held in a high regard. Harming either just wasn't tolerated.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The Best Part of the Pioneer Days. Well, I guess my Primary interest in those days would have been being a Mountain Man. I would have lived like that.  

Any laws that I would enforce. Well in my particular instance , as mentioned above, I would have to live by the laws of mother nature. And I am not talking about the GREENS PERVERTED LAWS.  Taking my knife and probbing across a frozen river , or Digging holes to make shelter. Or keeping my Powder Dry.  How to shoot a Grizzly bear. Or how to find shelter in a snow storm. You know the laws of the Planet Earth and A Human beings problems with survival, you know the Laws you Can't Repeal.

Ben
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel sorry for anyone who had to eat hardtack. Its like eating dehydrated bricks!!  

-T.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top