Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 11:13:31 AM EDT
Pink Floyd bassist writes opera  
18 Aug 2005

Pink Floyd bassist Roger Waters has completed his first opera after 16 years in the making.

Ca Ira - which features Welsh baritone Bryn Terfel and other classical music stars - is an "operatic history of the French Revolution".

It is due to be released on CD in September and will be performed in concert in Rome later this year.

Pink Floyd, whose first album was released in 1967, recently reunited on stage at the Live 8 concert in London.

If the intellectuals of the modern opera world are catty about it, so be it.

Roger Waters

Waters, 61, began working on Ca Ira in 1989 when songwriter Etienne Roda-Gil approached Waters with his libretto, which was illustrated by Roda-Gil's wife Nadine.

"He wanted to know if he could use my old songs.

"I looked at it and sort of fell in love with it... after six weeks I had a demo that was over two hours long."

The project was put on hold when Nadine Roda-Gil died of leukaemia, but Waters and her husband eventually began working together again.

Waters wrote both the French and English versions.

Ca Ira will be performed in concert in Rome later this year, but Waters said his aim was to have it performed by an opera company.

He said he was nervous about the reaction from the classical music world.

"I'm in some state of trepidation because I feel that I'm putting my head on the chopping block," he said.

"It's actually very melodic and it's unashamedly emotional. So, if the intellectuals of the modern opera world are catty about it, so be it.

"I fully expect some resistance. There will be a lot of, 'Who does he think he is?"
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It will probably be about as good as Paul McCartney's (sp?  Not like I give a shit about his name) "Liverpool Oratorio" .

R
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#2]
 I have a feelng it will be an opera about a kid who lost his dad in the Great War and then spent the whole rest of his life griping and wallowing in self pity.

Hope I'm REALLY wrong!

I love Rog, but sheesh, he needs to quit being such a wet blanket!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a feelng it will be an opera about a kid who lost his dad in the Great War and then spent the whole rest of his life griping and wallowing in self pity.

Hope I'm REALLY wrong!

I love Rog, but sheesh, he needs to quit being such a wet blanket!!!

Yeah, really. He's done that already.

The Wall is perhaps the best album ever, but SHEESH! Give it a rest!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Let's face it gents, there are only two operas worth a hoot:

This one:

And this one:

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]

"Oh Mr. Jones! Mr. Jones! You're my dreamboat!"

"KILL THE WABBIT! KILL THE WABBIT!"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top