Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 4:53:50 AM EDT
Pill may kill women's libido

Kate Jones, medical reporter
03jan06

WOMEN taking the Pill could spoil their sex lives forever, new research suggests.

Libido levels have been found to drop when women take the Pill and even after they stop taking it, a US study has found.

The new findings cast doubt on previous studies that claimed sex drive was restored within a month of coming off the Pill. Now it seems changes to a woman's sex drive could be permanent.

Lead researchers Dr Irwin Goldstein and Claudia Panzer, from Boston University in Massachusetts, said many women would be unaware of the Pill's side effects.

"I don't think women realise the Pill can do bad things to their sex drive," Dr Panzer said.

"Not everybody will be affected, but this is out there and it is real."

The Pill is taken by more than 100 million women around the world.

In preventing ovulation, the Pill increases the amount of sex-hormone-binding globuline (SHBG), which blocks the effects of testosterone, which is is produced in a woman's ovaries and is essential in both male and female libido.

Dr Goldstein and Dr Panzer studied 125 women who were patients at a sexual dysfunction clinic -- 62 were taking the Pill, 40 had previously taken it, and 23 had never taken it.

Levels of SHGB were seven times higher in women who took the Pill than those who didn't.

Even a year after coming off the contraceptive, women had up to four times as much of the hormone than women who had never taken it.

Although more research was needed, Dr Goldstein said the findings indicated the Pill could permanently diminish a woman's sex drive.

"There is a possibility that it is imprinting a woman for the rest of her life," he said.

Consultant gynaecologist and director of Melbourne's Jean Hailes Foundation, Liz Farrell, said while it was possible the Pill reduced a woman's sex drive, other factors could be to blame.

"We know that libido is an incredibly complex and complicated emotion," Dr Farrell said.

"It can be influenced by our health, our psyche, and relationship dynamics. The Pill may be a contributor, but not necessarily the cause."
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:54:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm, and all this time I thought it was wedding cake.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#2]
You cannot kill that which is already dead.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]
you guys all win the prize.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:25:38 AM EDT
[#4]
As if they needed yet another excuse......
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1  This is a scientifically proven fact.  I personally have seen it happen with all my married friends and family.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:34:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As if they needed yet another excuse......hr

After twenty years they don't even bother with an excuse.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

lol, thats exactly what I was thinking as I clicked on this thread  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:42:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  This is a scientifically proven fact.  I personally have seen it happen with all my married friends and family.

+1
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't seem to effect my GF.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:47:20 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 on the cake.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#11]
My personal theory had to do with the wedding ring causing a disruption of a certain little known Chakra in the finger. Ancient pagans knew that a metal ring on a certain finger would prevent overpopulation and then introduced the technique into wedding ceremonies. The Christian ritual of wedding bands is an old pagan ritual that was assimilated after the spread of Christianity through Europe.

[Homer Simpson]God bless those pagans.[Homer Simpson]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:50:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

just wait....give it a few more years.

Seriously though, if that's true and the pill companies knew it then I see a "tobacco size" lawsuit coming.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Funniest shit I've heard in a long time!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:58:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously though, if that's true and the pill companies knew it then I see a "tobacco size" lawsuit coming.

i will be the first in line. oh the humanity
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:00:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Feed her the Wedding Cake and EVERYTHING CHANGES!!!!

I have this vision of Charleton Heston screaming, "Soylent Green is people.....!!!!"
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:04:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1

Last two girlfriends,for a total of 5 years. Might have made them a little more crazy, but for damn sure no reduction in sex drive.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i will be the first in line. oh the humanity

Folks, sorry to disappoint you...but this is VERY old news.
You're screwing with the female's homonal balance and you DON'T think that will affect libido?
Please.
FTR? Those of you with wives/gf's who are on norplant or the patch are also at risk for less nookie.
If you're done makin' babies...get snipped and you'll get laid more often.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:08:28 AM EDT
[#18]
ouch
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Didn't take me long to figure that out.  The gf went off the pill a few months ago.  After the first month the sex drive was completely different.  While I hate condoms, I rather have nookie 6X a week then 3X a month. Not to mention how emotional it makes woman.  The Pill isn't what it is cracked up to be.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My personal theory had to do with the wedding ring causing a disruption of a certain little known Chakra in the finger. Ancient pagans knew that a metal ring on a certain finger would prevent overpopulation and then introduced the technique into wedding ceremonies. The Christian ritual of wedding bands is an old pagan ritual that was assimilated after the spread of Christianity through Europe.

[Homer Simpson]God bless those pagans.[Homer Simpson]

We don't wear rings and have a great sex life,so maybe you are right.

Actually,her depo shots messed her up til she went off them after I got snipped.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1 That did it for me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Wife was on three different types of pill over the last three years.
I forgot what the first one was, it was OK as we were newlywed.
The second one was L'Ovral or however it's spelled and I lived with the fear that she was going to pin me to the wall with a fork.  Libido?  What's that?
The last one was Orthocyclene sp? and it was OK as far as moodiness, but her sex drive tended towards 0 except for about 3 days in the middle of the month.

She's off the pill and actually wants it now.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:27:59 AM EDT
[#23]
THIS IS A FUNNY THREAD, BUT +1 ON THE WEDDING CAKE LOL
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:32:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Nothing kills a libido like a diamond.
Sure, the first week it awakens a whole new beast in your wife.
Then that week passes......
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#26]
i hate the pill
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#27]
It ain't nothin' a fistful of $100's couldn't fix.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I remember a picture floatin around where it has two sides.. one side is a woman's leg's crossed... the other is when the man presents a diamond ring.. and they "magically" open.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember a picture floatin around where it has two sides.. one side is a woman's leg's crossed... the other is when the man presents a diamond ring.. and they "magically" open.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#30]
I always wondered what long-term use of something like that would do. My theory seems to be proven correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top