Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/15/2006 7:39:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 8:20:37 PM EST by Rincon_11]
So, I'm thinking about putting on a pig roast but I don't know exactly what is involved. I want to keep it under 700-800 if possible. I know it's going to be a lot of work, but it's a celebration and I want it to be a memorable event. I wanted someone to do all the work for me, but to have such a thing catored it is looking like at least $1500.00. Seems pig roasts aren't a common thing in the Southwest.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:42:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 7:50:47 PM EST by buckmaw]
www.deltablues.net/roast.html

Check that out.

I will look for something else...

Here is the one I was looking for

Its a "Cochon de Lait"
Its how they cook'em down here in Louisiana...

generalhorticulture.tamu.edu/prof/Recipes/Cochon/cochon.html

^^^^^^

Try that one.. its GOOD!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:00:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By Rincon_11:
Seems pig roasts aren't a common thing in the Southeast.

Huh? We call 'em hawg roasts.

$700 - $800 will buy a lot of pig and a lot of beer. I'm gettin all tingley just thinking about it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:21:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By buckmaw:
www.deltablues.net/roast.html

Check that out.

I will look for something else...

Here is the one I was looking for

Its a "Cochon de Lait"
Its how they cook'em down here in Louisiana...

generalhorticulture.tamu.edu/prof/Recipes/Cochon/cochon.html

^^^^^^

Try that one.. its GOOD!!

Thanks, I will check them out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:23:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By kingston_fisher:

Originally Posted By Rincon_11:
Seems pig roasts aren't a common thing in the Southeast.

Huh? We call 'em hawg roasts.

$700 - $800 will buy a lot of pig and a lot of beer. I'm gettin all tingley just thinking about it.

Oop's, typo. Meant Southwest. Everyone I ask about them, I am meant with, "We eat beef out here."
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:26:59 PM EST
Going to a roast in a couple weeks....they'll have chickens in the cavity while cooking, supposed to be good shite.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:44:58 AM EST
I've done it and you're right: It is a lot of work.

Got the full pig from local butcher 106 lbs of him. Rented a horizontal smoke from the Redstone Arsenal MWR. Started smoking him around 10 PM at night, stayed up all night with it. I used red and white oak, well seasoned, that was put into 5 gallon buckets with water to make the smoke. Used a temp gauge to keep it in the smoking temp range vs. cooking vs. too cool.

I used a dry rub from Texas BBQ (Texasbbq.com) pretty good stuff. And no, I didn't drink any beer until the next day, there's no way I could have stayed up all night.

I also smoked beef BBQ ribs (Fred Flintstone ribs) and chicken. Had about 35 people over the next day, ate like a bunch of pigs we did.

Got pics, I should store them somewhere so you can see them, let me work on that. Got questions, postem up!

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:07:46 AM EST
BBQ mmmmmmm
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:00:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By Merlin:
I've done it and you're right: It is a lot of work.

Got the full pig from local butcher 106 lbs of him. Rented a horizontal smoke from the Redstone Arsenal MWR. Started smoking him around 10 PM at night, stayed up all night with it. I used red and white oak, well seasoned, that was put into 5 gallon buckets with water to make the smoke. Used a temp gauge to keep it in the smoking temp range vs. cooking vs. too cool.

I used a dry rub from Texas BBQ (Texasbbq.com) pretty good stuff. And no, I didn't drink any beer until the next day, there's no way I could have stayed up all night.

I also smoked beef BBQ ribs (Fred Flintstone ribs) and chicken. Had about 35 people over the next day, ate like a bunch of pigs we did.

Got pics, I should store them somewhere so you can see them, let me work on that. Got questions, postem up!

Good luck.

Merlin

A 106 lb pig only fed 35 people?! Shit man, that's not going to work. Did you have any any of it left over? How much was the pig?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:17:02 AM EST
this dudes got some great tips and recipies
www.bbqu.net/
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:34:34 AM EST
Another option would be, Check around your local communities. I you have any Polyniesians (sp) in the area (Tongan, Samoans or Hawaiians) they are the experts... they will help you at a very low price, they call it an UMU (EEWWW-MUUUU) I have one for my son every other year. Check out the link below:

UMU Link
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:40:26 AM EST
Underground, Hawaiian style is the best.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:46:38 AM EST
I think you are supposed to go up to the podium one at a time and insult the officer in a humorous way.

Top Top