Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/25/2005 6:01:23 AM EDT
My unit just got back from the area and took some decent pictures. They are still being uploaded but they should give you an idea of just how much was destroyed there. They stopped at Camp Shelby, MS for staging and pushed forward to Poplarville High School. When there was an opportunity, they made a run down to Gulfport/Biloxi to see just how bad it was.

Katrina Pics

Josh Russel was an Army Soldier who died the day after Katrina hit in a HMMWV accident when the vehicle flipped after hitting powerlines. The other occupant had an arm ripped off but survived.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:03:22 AM EDT
Did the Friendship Oak in Long Beach make it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:03:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wingnut116ACW:

Josh Russel was an Army Soldier who died the day after Katrina hit in a HMMWV accident when the vehicle flipped after hitting powerlines. The other occupant had an arm ripped off but survived.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:09:27 AM EDT
wow
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:21:50 AM EDT
I need to go to Waveland/Bay St. Louis area off of Highway 90 to check on mother-in-law's camper. Do you know if that's possible? Are there checkpoints? Will I be allowed in if so? I have a copy of her Miss. Drivers Liscence and a notarized letter asking us to check on her camper trailer and storage unit to take pics for insurance. She's been in touch with people in the area and both are still there, but no report on the damage to them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:25:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 6:25:49 AM EDT by Wingnut116ACW]
I wasn't invited on this deployment, but I just asked one of the guys that made the trek down there. He says you should be able to get through the checkpoints if they are even still in place.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:31:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 6:31:54 AM EDT by CajunMojo]

Originally Posted By Wingnut116ACW:
I wasn't invited on this deployment, but I just asked one of the guys that made the trek down there. He says you should be able to get through the checkpoints if they are even still in place.

Thanks for the info.

ETA: thx for the pics also.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:00:23 AM EDT
www.beauvoir.org/

The Jefferson Davis home was severly damaged...
This was an old mansion that was in beautiful shape. A lot of the historic buildings on the plantation were completely destroyed

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:34:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:
Did the Friendship Oak in Long Beach make it?

The Friendship Oak only lost one limb.
That's impressive considering the thing is held together with bailing wire.

Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
I need to go to Waveland/Bay St. Louis area off of Highway 90 to check on mother-in-law's camper. Do you know if that's possible? Are there checkpoints? Will I be allowed in if so? I have a copy of her Miss. Drivers Liscence and a notarized letter asking us to check on her camper trailer and storage unit to take pics for insurance. She's been in touch with people in the area and both are still there, but no report on the damage to them.

You should have no trouble getting in. Where is the storage unit?

My mother's house was just south of the McDonald's in Waveland. It had 3.5 feet of water in it if that gives you any idea how bad it was near Hwy 90.
Top Top