Posted: 6/16/2007 3:04:38 PM EDT

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Great pics.  And i like the holster and mag carrier.  The Red looks cool
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Stupid question, I never have participated in these.

What is the guy behind the shooter holding in the air while he/she shoots?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]
timer
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Stupid question, I never have participated in these.

What is the guy behind the shooter holding in the air while he/she shoots?

He's the range officer. He's holding a timer.

He's responsible for range safety, enforcing rules, and timing  the event.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
How long have you been competing Mxpatriot51?  I want to get into IDPA and 3 gun events but I don't know where to begin.  Should I come out to the events to observe and practice or should I just jump in feet first?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How long have you been competing Mxpatriot51?  I want to get into IDPA and 3 gun events but I don't know where to begin.  Should I come out to the events to observe and practice or should I just jump in feet first?

Just go. They'll tell you everything you need to know, and they'll explain the rules for each stage in detail. You'll also have someone pretty much right behind you the entire time you're shooting.

The thing that sucks about IDPA is that you spend 4 or more hours there and you're only shooting for about 2 minutes total.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

about a year. I'm in sharpshooter, but will be bumped to expert after the state match. My times are nipping on the heels of master class shooters, though.

I practice a ton; and I mean a ton.

Just jump on in. IDPA shooters are the nicest bunch you'll ever meet. Bring a concealment garment, a holster, a pistol, at least three magazines, and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#10]
DAMN that looks like a good time!

What does it take to participate in one of these shoots?

Can anyone do it?

Do you have to be a good shot?

Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Can anyone do it?

Thanks for the pics.

Being a good shot helps.

You should be experienced in drawing, reholstering, etc. SAFELY. YOu don't have to be fast, just be safe and you'll do fine.

See idpa.com if you want to learn more about it; or my website (will work on it soon) actionsportshooter.com
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Can anyone do it?

Thanks for the pics.

Only thing required is to show up.

Might want to read the rules at IDPA.com

The game has less relevance since the magazine ban ended unless you are in a banned state.  However, they still do a good job making it a fun game.  Not a big fan of "drawing from concealment" because the vests people wear scream "im carrying a concealed gun".  I'd just assume let everyone draw from the open and not pretend its "practice for engaging from concealed carry".

Having fun is the most important part.  Shoot at the speed you are  comfortable.  If at any time you don't feel comfortable stop.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just recently quit and started my own game.

I got tired of standing in the hot Florida sun for 4 hours for what amounted to 1.5 minutes of actual trigger time.

I got together with some buds and did the new game last week and it was a BIG success!

It eliminates all the bad parts of IDPA and uses good parts of other gun games.

Almost no waiting to shoot.

NO pasting!

VERY high round count per stage.

Scoring is done while the next shooter is competing. No waiting!

No down1 down2 BS. you either hit it or you didnt!

No elaborate stages to tear down. It all goes in the trash at the end.

I'm still polishing and tweaking it, I'm just trying ti figure out WTF I'm going to do with it after I get the bugs worked out!

Sounds like you're talking about the steel challenge. 250-300 rounds; hit or not hit, stages are left up.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nope no steel involved.

Are you familiar with the Steel Challenge, though?

It's aired on OLN, and sometimes FOX news comes out. It's all about speed and accuracy; and all the pro's are there. KC Eseubio (just butchered his name, sorry), JJ Racaza, Rob Leathem, Todd Jarrett, etc.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They just had the Nationals here last month or so.

I talked to Jerry miculek.

His wife got bit by a snake.

oh really, was it a poisonous snake? how's she doing?

the main match is coming up in August, I can't wait.

I live 45 minutes from the ISI ranges where it's held, and I'm a member there, so I run it once a week for practice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Try USPSA IPSC also.

higher round counts and less restrictive rules.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Try USPSA IPSC also.

I have shot a little USPSA, I'm going to start shooting it again. Schedule is just jammed packed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Try USPSA IPSC also.

+ 1 billion!
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/mxpatriot/Shooting053.jpg
i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/mxpatriot/Shooting041.jpg
i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/mxpatriot/Shooting039.jpg
i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/mxpatriot/Shooting037b.jpg
i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/mxpatriot/Shooting034.jpg
i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/mxpatriot/Shooting032-1.jpg
i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/mxpatriot/Shooting032.jpg
i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/mxpatriot/Shooting024.jpg
i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/mxpatriot/Shooting023.jpg
i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/mxpatriot/Shooting012.jpg

When shooting strong or weak-hand only try clenching your non shooting fist and holding it up against your chest. It helps.

I have tried that, can't really tell a difference. I'm a good weak hand shooter, at least 10-15% of my overall practice is done weak hand. I've found it's nice to keep my hand back there (unless a reload will be needed when strong hand only) or else I have a tendency to let it come back to the grip while not shooting but still on the clock (like after a reload or while moving between firing points).

But yea, that's good advice. I see the majority of people do it that way, and I do it that way sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#24]
That looks like fun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I thought you have to draw from concealment in IDPA?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I thought you have to draw from concealment in IDPA?

Yes, in general you do. But my club has regular IDPA days, compact days, and revolver days. ON compact and revolver, you can shoot in the "non" class with any ESP, SSP, or CDP gun. If the "non" class, you don't have to wear concealment, so that's why I don't have concealment on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Cool. The local range here has been talking about getting some IDPA going but it seems to mostly be talk. Plus its an indoor only range :(
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
[

When shooting strong or weak-hand only try clenching your non shooting fist and holding it up against your chest. It helps.

I have tried that, can't really tell a difference. I'm a good weak hand shooter, at least 10-15% of my overall practice is done weak hand. I've found it's nice to keep my hand back there (unless a reload will be needed when strong hand only) or else I have a tendency to let it come back to the grip while not shooting but still on the clock (like after a reload or while moving between firing points).

But yea, that's good advice. I see the majority of people do it that way, and I do it that way sometimes.

You might want to try both methods with a shot timer.

Sometimes, what feels right, is actually a lot slower on the timer.

Mine goes over my heart.

Great pics.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just go. They'll tell you everything you need to know, and they'll explain the rules for each stage in detail. You'll also have someone pretty much right behind you the entire time you're shooting.

The thing that sucks about IDPA is that you spend 4 or more hours there and you're only shooting for about 2 minutes total.

Steve is correct. Don't be afraid to go. I did with 3 gun and no shit you do stand around watching a lot so you pretty much pick up on it that way. Plus you get to see what the other shooters are doing right or wrong on the course of fire.  

When you shoot it's over so fast you forget to be nervous.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
[

Mine goes over my heart.

Great pics.

I've never tested a time difference, but I will next time I practice. I always go for accuracy on weak hand, cause us IDPA shooters can't just spray and pray (just messing with you!)

ETA: cause I type faster than I can think
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
[

Mine goes over my heart.

Great pics.

I've never tested a time difference, but I will next time I practice. I always go for accuracy on weak hand, cause us IDPA shooters can just spray and pray (just messing with you!)

Yes,  I agree,  I've seen many an IDPA shooter that CAN spray & pray.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
[

Mine goes over my heart.

Great pics.

I've never tested a time difference, but I will next time I practice. I always go for accuracy on weak hand, cause us IDPA shooters can't just spray and pray (just messing with you!)

Yes,  I agree,  I've seen many an IDPA shooter that CAN spray & pray.

About the worst place I could leave out a "'t".

that typo aside, I've been known to use more than enough lead on an unlimited vickers scored stage

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Cool pics.

I'm just going through some I did today at our club 3-gun match.

And to echo what has been said, if you're interested in IPDA, or any competition for that matter, just jump in and try it out. All the people I've ever met at matches are great and welcoming to new shooters, you'll probably surprise yourself at how well you do if you shoot regularly at all, and don't go just watch, you'll for sure wish you had shot.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I thought IDPA used cover garments and you couldnt cheat cover?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I thought IDPA used cover garments and you couldnt cheat cover?

I was in the "non" class today; thus I didn't need cover. My club has the regular IDPA mtach, a compact match, and a revolver match. If you shoot in the compact/revolver with a regular gun, you're in the "non" class and don't have to wear concealment.

Also, most IDPA matches will only have 60% of the stages from concealment.

For cover, you have to be 50% covered. Shooting under the table was part of that stage.

If the target is already "dead", you don't have to seek cover from it.

Also, some stages don't have cover available, so you have to shoot on the move to get to cover.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top