Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/14/2016 11:58:07 AM EDT
I took these pictures last week when I visited the town to drop off some donations I had gathered in Atlanta.

The downtown area is still intact, but it all suffered smoke damage. The devastation in the surrounding neighborhoods is very bad, I drove through many mountain roads passing nothing but foundations and chimneys.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't two punks get busted for starting that fire intentionally?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn that's really sad for those folks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/juveniles-arrested-in-sevier-county-fires-awaiting-first-court-appearance/368825532
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]
That's really sad.  Wish it got more national attention though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting op, very sad indeed!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
that is sad

The bicycle picture is very interesting
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the pics! I've been following the story despite the lack of news coverage. It's horrible what these people are going through. I can only hope they have the strength to find some good in life during the Christmas season.

Not related, but was there a fair amount of smoke damage on the chimneys that you saw still standing or were they left relatively unscathed? I ask because I find a good number of old cabin remnants in the woods while metal detecting and I've always wondered what happened and where the rest of the cabin went. Maybe a house fire then deserted and never rebuilt or dismantled and they used the materials for construction in better location? There is very little evidence of smoke damage on these chimneys. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

Hopefully it results in prison for life for them both.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I took these pictures last week when I visited the town to drop off some donations I had gathered in Atlanta.
View Quote

Thanks OP
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the pics! I've been following the story despite the lack of news coverage. It's horrible what these people are going through. I can only hope they have the strength to find some good in life during the Christmas season.

Not related, but was there a fair amount of smoke damage on the chimneys that you saw still standing or were they left relatively unscathed? I ask because I find a good number of old cabin remnants in the woods while metal detecting and I've always wondered what happened and where the rest of the cabin went. Maybe a house fire then deserted and never rebuilt or dismantled and they used the materials for construction in better location? There is very little evidence of smoke damage on these chimneys. Thanks!
View Quote
I didn't look to closely, but they definitely had scars from the fire.

I would think that over time a lot of the fire scars disappear due to weather.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/juveniles-arrested-in-sevier-county-fires-awaiting-first-court-appearance/368825532

Two juveniles, so most likely nothing of consequence will happen to them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Is that the visitor center sign? I know it's easily replace able but the symbolism is there.

Someone needs to send the pic of the melted and bowed I beams to the 9/11 truther assholes.

We've already planned our spring vacation in that area to help out with our tourist dollars.

Anybody know if the original homestead cabins all along the Roaring Fork motor trail survived?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is that the visitor center sign? I know it's easily replace able but the symbolism is there.

Someone needs to send the pic of the melted and bowed I beams to the 9/11 truther assholes.

We've already planned our spring vacation in that area to help out with our tourist dollars.

Anybody know if the original homestead cabins all along the Roaring Fork motor trail survived?
View Quote
Yep, thats the main sign as you're pulling into the city. I love the flag hanging on it.

I plan to do that, I noticed it as soon as I saw the melted beams.

I am not sure if they made it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Wonder what kind of aluminum Fiat makes their wheels out of cause day gone.

I also wonder how the new fangled aluminum F150's would have fared.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#16]
If a kid can start a fire that destroys a town, it seems more like there was a significant problem already existing with the town.

Not that the kids don't need to be punished, but they obviously didn't intend a fire like that.

And if Hillary can get off because she didn't intend...
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If a kid can start a fire that destroys a town, it seems more like there was a significant problem already existing with the town.

Not that the kids don't need to be punished, but they obviously didn't intend a fire like that.

View Quote
You have no idea what you're talking about. Most parts of TN haven't had real rain since like MARCH of this year. Several southern states have been in SEVERE droughts for months. The fire risk is very real.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You have no idea what you're talking about. Most parts of TN haven't had real rain since like MARCH of this year. Several southern states have been in SEVERE droughts for months. The fire risk is very real.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the town built in a location surrounded with dense forests?  Seems brilliant.  Kind of like New Orleans building below sea level.  

I haven't been far outside my small part of the globe, but I've never seen a community that was at risk of a fire because of the trees.  It just seems like a bad idea.

Some small towns I grew up around had a town square that had buildings built side-by-side, and often when one had a fire, it would take out an entire block.  Genius.

Edit to add:  In my small part of the globe, people build down along the banks of the Mississippi, then can't understand why they get flooded.  Hell, a big chunk of Davenport goes under water every couple of years.  Tax dollars fix it every time.  Dumb.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So the town built in a location surrounded with dense forests?  Seems brilliant.  Kind of like New Orleans building below sea level.  

I haven't been far outside my small part of the globe, but I've never seen a community that was at risk of a fire because of the trees.  It just seems like a bad idea.

Some small towns I grew up around had a town square that had buildings built side-by-side, and often when one had a fire, it would take out an entire block.  Genius.

Edit to add:  In my small part of the globe, people build down along the banks of the Mississippi, then can't understand why they get flooded.  Hell, a big chunk of Davenport goes under water every couple of years.  Tax dollars fix it every time.  Dumb.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Heading down on Friday to meet and analyze how my crew can volunteer to assist with the clean up and rebuild. I expect to take my guys and some equipment there all next week to help out.

I will try to get photos of the devastation but more importantly of the rebuild as a community and their neighbors(like me) pull together to overcome this tragedy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

So much.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Snip:
Quoted:

I haven't been far outside my small part of the globe
View Quote

You've never gone anywhere and never done anything, but since you're so fucking smart you know not to build in the mountains. I guess a whole town just sprang up overnight. Awesome. Why don't you go down and help the Mayor of Gatlinburg. I'm sure he would love your expertise.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#23]
So some kids started a fire somewhere and a city burnt down? How big was the fire? I've only heard there was a fire and know nothing more.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Two juveniles, so most likely nothing of consequence will happen to them.
View Quote

14 deaths, 190 injuries and almost 2500 structures burned. I'll bet they get charged as adults.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So some kids started a fire somewhere and a city burnt down? How big was the fire? I've only heard there was a fire and know nothing more.
View Quote

Maybe you should click the link someone posted above with the news article.  That would be your best bet for answers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should probably travel outside the Midwest sometime

OP, great pictures, thanks for sharing. It is incredibly sad to see so much loss and even more sad that this hasn't been given more airtime on the news! I'm amazed at how little I have seen about it, most of my info has been from ARF.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#27]
This is heart-breaking. I love the area and the folks and Tenn is a place I could happily live in.

It will come back, better than before.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

That's BS.  Fire can't melt steel!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are so right, because the corn fields of Iowa is definitely the only place people should settle. Maybe also in other parts of flyover country where there is 17 people who know better than everyone else.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you could have towns that grew normally and even into the woods long before the drought hit or Lake_Arrowhead,_California a town that was around long before the stupid environazis shut down sustainable logging and bark bettle and went full stupid and then wonder why it burns down from time to time.

People can live in a nice area and be in harmony with nature and then stupid people come along and wreck it like those kids.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Cool pics OP

My Christmas trip to Florida got cancelled suddenly.  I'm trying to talk my wife into the Gatlinburg area just to spend money at the local businesses.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Cool pics OP

My Christmas trip to Florida got cancelled suddenly.  I'm trying to talk my wife into the Gatlinburg area just to spend money at the local businesses.  
View Quote
I'll be heading up there this Friday for the weekend. 4th year in a row for our family Christmas get together.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow lmfao,

This country is screwed as a whole, dumbasses everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

... you do realize that "a location surrounded by dense forests" describes pretty much the entirety of the Southeastern US, right?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#35]
It's going to take a while to rebuild
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#37]
That has been a tourist area for a long,long time. I doubt they have had any controlled burns over the years, lots of fuel on the ground.
Also, the day of the fire a front came through with 40mph winds. The perfect storm so to speak, much like the Yellowstone fires years ago.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
that is sad

The bicycle picture is very interesting
View Quote

Very interesting, fire is crazy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, man.  Stop.  Please stay in Iowa.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never heard of a big corn fire huh?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

They survived.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leave him alone , it's not his fault that he has a low IQ
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really should refrain from speaking (stop talking) unless you have even a small idea of what you're talking about.  You might want to google how the fire started and how it developed, or is that too hard?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Wonder what kind of aluminum Fiat makes their wheels out of cause day gone.

I also wonder how the new fangled aluminum F150's would have fared.
View Quote

Has the aluminum bodied F150 been ruled out as the cause of the fire?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Really sad and I hope they make the suspects pay dearly!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't expect this level of derp when posting in GD...but I guess I can't expect much from GD.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Here's some shots I took Sunday.  Shows how close the fire got to NOC at the edge of town.

The Christmas lights on this tree were melted, and in the background you can see the edge of town and the park.

Service shed/house thing up behind Smoky Mountain Brewery.  We ate there and the waitress was telling us about being there the morning of the fire and they had to evacuate because of all the smoke inside.  Had to clean up a lot afterwards, but the brewery survived.

Familiar site
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#49]
While the pictures are kind of cool to look at it sucks that we lost lives and people lost their property and whole lives.  I hope they punish the assholes who did this.

What is really stupid is we need a bear to tell us not to start forrest fires that it is not common sense no good will come from starting a fire like this.

Any legit charities to help people out that anyone knows is good to go?[u][/u]
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#50]
One of our favorite rides on our fall tours is Little River rd from Townsend to the North SMNP visitors center. Anyone know how much of it burned?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top