Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 1:43:30 AM EDT
We went on a little ride yesterday to give a couple of VIP's a ride/tour and I took the opurtunity to take some pictures & videos with my digital camera.  I've uploaded them all to my ftp site at the university where I work back in St. Louis, Missouri so they can be downloaded without any limits on bandwidth.

The ride was kind of ruff and I was holding onto the camera with one hand while hanging on to various things on the boat for stability, so the videos are shaky at times.  I've been trying to think of a way to mount the camera to my comms. helmet with velcro to get a more stable mount.

Link: Inshore Boat Unit Fourteen videos & pictures

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice pictures.

And they're a better size in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:48:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Having a little trouble viewing most of these.

I can only access the medium jpg's. Not authorized...

Nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice pics. Glad to see somebody got to play in the water while the rest of us squids (grunt corpsmen) picked sand out of our asses.

ETA: The vids won't work..Kept getting the 'forbidden. You do not have permission..blah..blah...blah'...message
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nice pics. Glad to see somebody got to play in the water while the rest of us squids (grunt corpsmen) picked sand out of our asses.

ETA: The vids won't work..Kept getting the 'forbidden. You do not have permission..blah..blah...blah'...message

I think I've fixed that problem, I had to go back and set some of the file properties correctly and they now work for me at least.  Let me know if they still don't work.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:59:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The vids are up and running now.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:09:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The vids are up and running now.....

Glad to hear that.

BTW:  We're pretty damn sure that as we were heading out into the gulf that we spotted the wake of a submarine's persicope heading in the opposite direction!  We were all looking at this mysterious 'white water' off our port beam and it dawned on me that it had to be a persiscope wake.  No idea who's it was and I was wishing we had turned all the boats around and chased it down.  As a former submariner I can just imagine the reactions of the guys in the sub after they would have spotted three of our boats bearing down on them from aft.  And this was out amoungst all the oil takers and freighters that are at anchor offshore of Fujairah.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:25:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for sharing the pics and vids.  Are those rigged hull inflatables?  How big of a motor do you guys run?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:45:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for sharing the pics and vids.  Are those rigged hull inflatables?  How big of a motor do you guys run?

The boat is made entirely out of Aluminum with an inflated coller around the top edge of the hull to act as a bumper.  I've never actually heard of our boats referred to as RHIB's though.

The engines are Cummins diesels, the same engine that is in the Dodge trucks actually, except they are marine versions.  Each boat has two engines and each engine drives a jet pump for propulsion.  They can turn on dime and throw you off if you aren't hanging on hard enough.  They can also go from full speed to a complete stop in less then their own length of 32 feet if you drop the buckets on the jet drives.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:58:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Serious question:  Does your body armer include floatation?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#10]
IBU-14,
Are you active or reserve? After seeing those pics I want to make the switch to the Navy got more than a few years on my current contract though, and I don't think with current recruiting numbers being what they are the Army's going to sign off any transfers anytime soon
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#11]
IBU-14_Gunner
Thanks for the pic and mpg's but most of all THANKS to you and the rest of your boat crew for your service

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Very cool.  Thank you (on many levels).
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#13]
mmmm Boats.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:00:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the pics and you guys stay safe over there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:04:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd be feeling a little exposed if I had to man that forward MG.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Serious question:  Does your body armer include floatation?

Surf,

We don't wear any body armor while on the boats other than the hard shell of our comms. helmets which are made by Gentex.  The hard shell does have a ballistic rating of some kind.  With it being so damn hot & humid here, most guys will take the hard shell off and where just the web/mesh liner that goes inside it that has the ear pieces and boom microphone on it.

We do wear tactical float vests though that have no armor in them.  I have a pic that I can post after I upload it to my ftp site that will show you what it looks like.

We do have body armor vests with plates in them but we don't wear them on the boats because they don't provide any floatation, you'd sink like a rock with one of them on unless you were quick enough to pull the 'ejection' cord on them and make it fall apart and off of you.

ETA:  Your's truly in my tac floatation vest.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Awesome stuff!

Thanks for your service and "NEVER GET OFF THE BOAT!".
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
IBU-14,
Are you active or reserve? After seeing those pics I want to make the switch to the Navy got more than a few years on my current contract though, and I don't think with current recruiting numbers being what they are the Army's going to sign off any transfers anytime soon

We are Inshore Boat Unit Fourteen, a reserve unit out of St. Louis, Missouri.  We have people from eleven different states with us and from all branches of the military except the Coast Guard.  Some people have prior active duty time while others have no prior active duty time at all.

I don't know what to tell you about trying to get transferred over.  Our commodore was just here visiting (the reason for our little trip yesterday)  and he mentioned that the Navy is downsizing overall, but that Naval Coastal Warfare is actually growing which is what we are part of.  There's also the new Navy infantry units that are going to be stood up next year that you might consider.  I've found some good links for info. on them if you're interested in that too.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
IBU-14_Gunner
Thanks for the pic and mpg's but most of all THANKS to you and the rest of your boat crew for your service

Thank you for your support!  I appreciate it greatly!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'd be feeling a little exposed if I had to man that forward MG.

Yep, you're exposed, but the boat is made out of Aluminum which won't stop anything anyway.  You also have the best field of fire.  It's a blast to be on the bow though when you're hauling ass across the water and catching some air off smaller waves and swells.  Too big of waves and swells and your feet are coming off the deck!  It can be too rough a ride up there sometimes actually.  But it is the best ride on the boat.  I've got another video I can post that I made while riding the bow.  Look for it soon.

ETA:  Riding the bow video  Bow ride video  You might want to right-click & save this one, it's pretty big at 9MB.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Any kind of special treatment on the mounted  M240s to protect against salt water corrosion?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#23]
IBU-14,
Thanks for the info. Like I said though I can't imagine the Guard/Army letting me go, I tried to go over to the Air Guard in January when I moved to New York and they (army) never told me outright that it wasn't going to happen but they went into ultra-slow mode of feet dragging and did all they could to steer me to a unit out here they thought I would like. I probably shouldn't have put the frown I work with a good bunch of soldiers , have good leadership over me, and get to go up in Blackhawks. One of my primary reasons for wanting to switch though is the length of National Guard deployments. I've given up worrying  about that for now and will worry about it when it happens.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Any kind of special treatment on the mounted  M240s to protect against salt water corrosion?

On both the M-240N's & the M2-HB's we simply have squirt bottles full of CLP that we spray them down with after every trip on the water.  We also routinely take the weapons off of the boats for a full break down and cleaning.  We also carry M-16's & M-9's on board at all times which also get the CLP treatments.

We have Mk-19's in our armory, but they don't get mounted on the boats.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBU-14,

We are Inshore Boat Unit Fourteen, a reserve unit out of St. Louis, Missouri.  We have people from eleven different states with us and from all branches of the military except the Coast Guard.  Some people have prior active duty time while others have no prior active duty time at all.

I don't know what to tell you about trying to get transferred over.  Our commodore was just here visiting (the reason for our little trip yesterday)  and he mentioned that the Navy is downsizing overall, but that Naval Coastal Warfare is actually growing which is what we are part of.  There's also the new Navy infantry units that are going to be stood up next year that you might consider.  I've found some good links for info. on them if you're interested in that too.

Good luck!

I thought that got started in a tavern in 1775?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBU-14,

Good luck!

I thought that got started in a tavern in 1775?

Well, I guess you could be right, I'm not sure.  I guess I should have said 'Riverine Assault Force'?  Here you go:  Sailor with a bayonett in his teeth
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for your service, and for the pics
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:55:20 AM EDT
[#28]
To save the trouble of having to download the videos individually, I went ahead and combined them into one video and uploaded it to my ftp site for download.  It's big, 70 MB, but it does contain all the smaller videos.

IBU-14 Boats video

Right click & save it of course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top