Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/31/2006 6:30:34 PM EDT
My mother and I flew out to San Diego, CA to see my brother graduate US Marine Corps Boot Camp at
the Marine Corps Recruit Depot on Thursday. We got there a little late since we missed our flight and
had to take an hour later one and had some rental car complications (Budget Rentacar would not rent to
me since I was only 24 and not 25!).

When we arrived they were running the recruits around the Parade Deck while their families cheered
them on as they ran. Unfortunately I could not get a good picture of my brother when they got in
formation after the run:

After that we watched a presentation on the history of the Marine Corps in the theatre. After the
presentation (which was very nice I might add), the recruits marched to the Parade Deck to receive
their Eagle, Globe, and Anchor emblem (the symbol of the Marine Corps for those not familiar). Here's
my brother being presented his and him putting it on:

After the recruits were awarded their emblems they were given 5 hours of liberty on the base. We
went around the base and took some pictures. Here he is now one of the few and the proud:

We visited the museum and there is a LOT of interesting stuff in there from the history of the Corps,
including this room with many many goodies that were brought back from past conflicts (as well as
some USMC issue weapons)

The next day (today, Friday), they had another ceremony to I guess finalize the whole thing. The
new Marines assembled on the Parade Deck again

Here's my brother's platoon.

And here he is again. He was 1 point shy of scoring expert.

And the flag symbolizing the country he along with countless other Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen are giving their service to.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
W00T!!!!  Pass on my congratulations.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank your brother for me.  And let's all thank the Lord for the US Marines.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
they look nothing alike! i think one of them is the milkman's baby imo!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#4]
congrats to the new marine!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Boot!

eta:  mos?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#6]
“Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference to the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.”   -Ronald Reagan

Welcome brother.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Tip of his belt is flying in the wind.  Have your bro get that belt tip under control.  A paper clip will do the trick.  Semper Fi.

What is that ribbon for?  

Pass on the congrats.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah...

YOU BEST TIGHTEN UP YOUR SHOT GROUP.......219 WTF?  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=35864

Tip of his belt is flying in the wind.  Have your bro get that belt tip under control.  A paper clip will do the trick.  Semper Fi.

What is that ribbon for?  

Pass on the congrats.  

The ribbon is the National Defense Ribbon.  I suppose today it would be called "alive in 2005" as from what I understand it was called "alive in '75" back a few decades ago.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Semper Fi to your brother!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What is that ribbon for?  

Pass on the congrats.  

Hey, we where rushed that morning .

Oh yeah...

YOU BEST TIGHTEN UP YOUR SHOT GROUP.......219 WTF?

I auctally only shot 214 , I fucked up on the 300 yard rapid fire, or I would be expert!  I ended up missing one shot and got 3-2s on all of the rest.  I shot like that because I decided not to make a wind call because the flags where at 12 o'clock and the wind didnt feel any different from the 300 slow fire.  Pisses me off beyond belief.  I made up for it on the 500 slow fire though, shot 9 out of 10 bullseyes.

eta: mos?

Supply and Accounting.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Tell your brother congratulations. We need good men  like him right now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, since my beloved Navy actually owns the USMC, I don't feel bad in breaking balls a bit..  

His gigline is jacked up in a couple pics

Looks like a good kid though...  Congats to you and yours!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Kick ass.

Please both congratulate and thank him for his service.

Semper Fi!!!

CMOS
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#16]
....Goddamn.....those pics brought a goosebump to my arm, a shiver down my spine, and a tear to my eye......seems like only yesterday that new Marine was me standing on the parade deck at Parris Island......Thank God there are still young men who want to be "one of us".......Thanks a million, and good luck....Stay safe!!

Only 2% of the ENTIRE United States population, since 1775 have become Marines........they don't say "The Few, The Proud..." for nothing.......Welcome to the club Devil Dog!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#17]
PRIVATE you better square tha class C away,,,

yhea,,Private,,not no stinking meally mouthed recruit no more,,

SEMPER FIDELIS

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Semper Fi and stay safe...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Isn't the ribbon for enlisting in a time of war?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I hope to get my ass together and join him by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrates! No longer a young punk, He is now a fine young MARINE. OUTSTANDING!

He should be proud. Tell him I as an American am proud of him!

See my sig line!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Isn't the ribbon for enlisting in a time of war?

National Defense Service Ribbon, Google it and you'll find that it's athourized for just about eveyone in the service right now..  Not that I'm trying to diminish it.  He'll get many more over his career.  GWOT will probably be next then GWOTE, and then depending on where he goes and what he does..  Three years without NJP he'll get a Good Conduct award.  Does well in his job maybe a NAM or two, Deployment gets you many..

I just got the Humanitarian Service medal for helping out in MS and LA during the Katrina mess and was put in for another(brnze star on ribbon) helping out in Pakistan during the big quake there..  Ribbons are great but I understand they become a PIA snce you get 5-6 rows it cost $$ to maintain them and to alter them when you get another is more $$.  I am on my second row now and expecting to start my third by end of the summer..
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#24]
OOH RAH!  Devil Dog!!

Good job and Semper Fi.

LB
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#25]
tighten up that gig line, marine

ETA   Just couldn't help myself

Thank you for the pics and thanks to your brother for standing up and volunteering to serve this great country of ours.

I can't imagine how proud you must be of him, I'm proud of him and don't even know him!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I hope to get my ass together and join him by the end of the year.

Learn to take care of your gigline or at least don't let a relative post pictures of it seriously adrift on a national forum, or you too will get your balls busted over it.

BTW paper clips will do a good job on taming unruly collar points also.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
tighten up that gig line, marine

Jesus H. Christ! Did you see that belt flapping around? Who in the hell let him leave the squadbay looking like that!?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah there Devil DAWG!

Semper fi!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#29]
At least you got formation pics where you can see him.  When my son graduated from Lackland, he was just about smack dab in the middle of every formation or if on the end of a file or rank, the wrong end of the file or rank.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#30]
... whoahh
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What is that ribbon for?  

Pass on the congrats.  

Good eyes...i noticed that also.  also his center alignment was off in the pics from the first day.  looks as though someone squared him away for graduation though.

[Gny Hartman]Where'd he get a freaking pogey-bait ribbon from...and what's it doing on my beloved uniform[Gny Hartman]  Must be a Hollywood thing

Also I do love the barracks covers...although mine was white

Congradulations to the Marine aka...BOOT

Semper Fi
shooter
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I noticed the same things different from day to day LOL
But also couldn't help it....get that friggen buckled aligned !!  And the tip flappin?  Is he trying to look like a pig? [/DI mode off]  Congrats to your bro.  I went thru MCRD San Diego and the pics bring back memories
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Roger on the GIG-line Straighten up BOOTCAMP

Congrats
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Had he been born at Parris Island, his alignment and tailoring would not be so fucked up. I actually feel bad that this is the best this young Marine could do when he graduated from bootcamp. Did no one school him on proper belt-shirt-trouser alignment?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I knew this was gonna be a shitstorm as soon as I saw the pic.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#36]
give him my sincere thanks...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:19:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Had he been born at Parris Island, his alignment and tailoring would not be so fucked up. I actually feel bad that this is the best this young Marine could do when he graduated from bootcamp. Did no one school him on proper belt-shirt-trouser alignment?

Give the kid a break. I was in for 2 years before I could keep a set of chucks looking good for a full day. All it takes is sitting down or getting an enthusiastic hug from your mother to throw your military alignment off by an inch.

If you think he looks fucked up you should see the kids graduating from Ft Benning.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:45:20 AM EDT
[#38]
OUTSTANDING!

If I were a terrorist I'd be crappin my pants right now!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:00:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Ahhh.....nice to see the grinder....

Congrats to your brother.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:04:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+1, I didn't feel the need to rain on his parade.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:11:59 AM EDT
[#41]
And why does the USMC stick with the booty-shorts PT uniform?

Quoted:

+1

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#42]

Uh-oh, he has a ketchup and mustard stain on his uniform.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:18:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Semper Fi Marine
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#44]
hahahahaha guess i won't have to point out the tragic sartorial faux pas!

welcome to the brotherhood, devil dog!!! the newest link in an unbroken chain.

whatever you do, don't get sent to a school base or hqmc. request the fleet first so you get a real taste of the corps. the mickey mouse horseshit can come later!

congrats, d00d!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:57:15 AM EDT
[#45]
He's got the look...

NTM
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Same here! Congrats to that young man for having the guts to stick it out. I can't believe his buddies or one of the DIs didn't notice the assed-up gig line or the belt tip swingin' in the breeze. Oh well...in one of my old pics I noticed the sleeve of my undershirt was showing underneath the sleeve of my blouse.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Congrats to your brother and tell him thank you for his service.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks like he is going into Marine Aviation.  

Semper Fi Mac!!

"From the Halls of Montezuma
to the Shores of Tripoli,
We fight our country's battles
On the land as on the sea.
First to fight for right and freedom,
And to keep our honor clean,
We are proud to claim the title
of United States Marine.

"Our flag's unfurl'd to every breeze
From dawn to setting sun;
We have fought in every clime and place
Where we could take a gun.
In the snow of far-off northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes,
You will find us always on the job
The United States Marines.

"Here's health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we've fought for life
And never lost our nerve.
If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines."
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Tell you're brother
Semper Fi
from a old Marine
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Out f**king standing!  Thank him for me.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top