Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2006 8:43:17 PM EDT
As discussed here I built a new computer. Thought you guys and gals might like some pics of it.

A few pictures(ignore dusty desk ):

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Some stats:

AMD64 3700+ San Diego, 2.2GHz, Overclocked to 2.5 stable (may go higher)
2 gig ram
dual Nvidia geforce 7800GT's
250gig hard drive
windows XP pro,  64 bit linux will be installed when I get windows configured all the way.

Haven't got battlefield 2 yet, but CounterStrike:Source averages 250+ FPS all details on max
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good. I like the blue light.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Some stats:

2 gig ram
250gig hard drive
windows XP pro,  64 bit linux will be installed when I get windows configured all the way.

Haven't got battlefield 2 yet, but CounterStrike:Source averages 250+ FPS all details on max

Too bad your eye can only sense 30FPS max
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some stats:

2 gig ram
250gig hard drive

Well, a high frame rate = no lag.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks good. I like the blue light.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some stats:

2 gig ram
250gig hard drive

yea it doesnt have anything to do with your eyes, it means he kills the other poor bastard before the guy can see him
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Zac, if you recall, I got the same proc recently. I have it running at 2.54GHz with no problems so far.  Should be able to push it to 2.7GHz on the stock cooling without problem.  It's a great CPU so far.

I was hoping to have my bonus tomorrow, but it will be another couple weeks... I wanted to order a 7800GT tomorrow.  I might be able to swing it.  My 6200 is just WEAK.   I play CoD II a lot, and it does alright at 800x600 on some pretty low settings.  I'm hoping the 7800GT will do well at 1024x768 with most everything set to high/max.    My system board won't do SLI, so my upgrade path will be SATA hard drives first, then another 7800GT and a system board that will do SLI.  

With AMD and Intel pimping dual core procs, and talking about quad core procs next year, hopefully we'll see prices on the multi core procs go down!  I'd dig having a couple or four cores!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
How much for the build ??????

Edit $1.7K Damn that system should work for a while.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I wish this old myth would go away...

How many frames per second can the human eye see?

that out of the way, great looking computer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some stats:

2 gig ram
250gig hard drive

yea it doesnt have anything to do with your eyes, it means he kills the other poor bastard before the guy can see him

Actually, in some games you can force it to cap framerates.  I know CoD did it, and I bet there's a way to cap it in CoDII.  Limit it to about 60fps, and you should end up having the same framerate constantly.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Zac, if you recall, I got the same proc recently. I have it running at 2.54GHz with no problems so far.  Should be able to push it to 2.7GHz on the stock cooling without problem.  It's a great CPU so far.

I was hoping to have my bonus tomorrow, but it will be another couple weeks... I wanted to order a 7800GT tomorrow.  I might be able to swing it.  My 6200 is just WEAK.   I play CoD II a lot, and it does alright at 800x600 on some pretty low settings.  I'm hoping the 7800GT will do well at 1024x768 with most everything set to high/max.    My system board won't do SLI, so my upgrade path will be SATA hard drives first, then another 7800GT and a system board that will do SLI.  

With AMD and Intel pimping dual core procs, and talking about quad core procs next year, hopefully we'll see prices on the multi core procs go down!  I'd dig having a couple or four cores!  

A single 7800GT should be able to do 1600x1200 or whatever other resolution you wanna do. Don't limit yourself to 1024. Games look much much better higher up
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some stats:

2 gig ram
250gig hard drive

Lag has to do with internet connection, not how many FPS you're churning out.

He could be doing 500FPS but if he tries to play a multiplayer game on a 14.4 modem it's going to lag like shit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How much for the build ??????

ran me right around 1700

Priced a similar system by alienware, dell, and several other manufacturers, they were wanting anything from 3500-7000 for a system with these specs
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some stats:

2 gig ram
250gig hard drive

Lag has to do with internet connection, not how many FPS you're churning out.

He could be doing 500FPS but if he tries to play a multiplayer game on a 14.4 modem it's going to lag like shit.

True, but not true. My older computer was on the same internet connection, would average 100fps in counter strike, yet it woulud bottleneck like crazy because the video card couldn't keep up with the processor.

Internet connection is not everything. A slow modem will cause lag, true. But so will a slow processor or a crappy video card.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A single 7800GT should be able to do 1600x1200 or whatever other resolution you wanna do. Don't limit yourself to 1024. Games look much much better higher up

I hope it will kick ass!  I'm using a Dell 1704FP, so I'm limited to 1280x1024.  I'll set to that and crank it up and see what kind of framerate I get.  I'll be satisfied if it stays above 60fps in the maps and situations that degrade performance (smoke sometimes drops my framerate to 11fps!)

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope it will kick ass!  I'm using a Dell 1704FP, so I'm limited to 1280x1024.  I'll set to that and crank it up and see what kind of framerate I get.  I'll be satisfied if it stays above 60fps in the maps and situations that degrade performance (smoke sometimes drops my framerate to 11fps!)

I fooled around with a single 7800gt to see what the actual difference performance wise was. In all but extreme situations, a single 7800 was more than playable on 1280x1024, with a few minor slow downs here and there. SLI really kicks in if you are in an area where there's alot of smoke or shiny things or light sources. Not a scratch of lag, no matter what. Lowest my framerate got on the CS:S stress test was ~75, and that was in an area with enough crap to make any normal video card cry.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#17]
same basic specs as my new comp im building on sunday.

AMD Athlon 2.4gHz 3700+
Two (1gig) sticks of 3200 DDR Corsair ram=2gigs total
250gig Western Digital SATA drive 7200rpm
Asus A8N type mobo, 2000mhz FSB, with NForce and SLI capability
Geforce 7800GT 256mb vid card

running SLI doenst give you much advantage, at least for what it costs to do so, and when you run something like the 7800 card,  your already on the high end, for that extra bit of performance you pay dearly and out of proportion.

I cant wait to assemble and run it!

btw, my 7800GT card includes BF2 I believe...picked up Doom3, already have Vietcong2 and soon Elder Scrolls Oblivion, the ultimate test
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
same basic specs as my new comp im building on sunday.

AMD Athlon 2.4gHz 3700+
Two (1gig) sticks of 3200 DDR Corsair ram=2gigs total
250gig Western Digital SATA drive 7200rpm
Asus A8N type mobo, 2000mhz FSB, with NForce and SLI capability
Geforce 7800GT 256mb vid card

running SLI doenst give you much advantage, at least for what it costs to do so, and when you run something like the 7800 card,  your already on the high end, for that extra bit of performance you pay dearly and out of proportion.

I cant wait to assemble and run it!

btw, my 7800GT card includes BF2 I believe...picked up Doom3, already have Vietcong2 and soon Elder Scrolls Oblivion, the ultimate test

It helps a little right now. It will help quite a bit in the near future. This computer will be good to go for a while yet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some stats:

2 gig ram
250gig hard drive

False

Looks like a nice system though.

I am ordering a pair of 7900GTX 512mb cards now that the distributor that my company deals with has them in stock, to replace my 7800GTX SLI setup.  You will probably see a pair of those 7800GTX cards hit the EE soon  SLI rules.

That ought to make Elder Scrolls 4 run pretty good

Oh yeah, by the end of next week, two of those babies will be mine
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some stats:

2 gig ram
250gig hard drive

False

I am ordering a pair of 7900GTX 512mb cards now that the distributor that my company deals with has them in stock, to replace my 7800GTX SLI setup.  You will probably see a pair of those 7800GTX cards hit the EE soon  SLI rules.

images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/14-130-279-03.JPG

That looks like a nice card. Probably waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive for me though. the 7800GT's will have to do me for now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some stats:

2 gig ram
250gig hard drive

False

That looks like a nice card. Probably waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive for me though. the 7800GT's will have to do me for now.

Yeah I dont have enough money to drop $500 on each of the two new Nvidia cards....I dont have a money tree.

And, I dont think your picking up much from goin from SLI run 7800GTXs to a 7900, like come on
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#22]
That's nice that you went and built your own computer (I've built about 7 personal computers for myself and my family, not to mention many custom computers for various companies).....But why did you have to go and install Windows on it?  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That's nice that you went and built your own computer (I've built about 7 personal computers for myself and my family, not to mention hundreds of custom computers for various companies).....But why did you have to go and install Windows on it?  

Gaming. The same reason I went and installed 2 7800GT's in it.

64 bit linux is coming once windows is stable enough to satisfy me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#24]
UMP,  unfortunately, most of the games only run in Windoze.

BTW, if Vista pulls off what MS is saying, with DirectX 10, it will push more of the video work to the video board... SLI might come in handy with that!  

adair, man, that's going to be a serious rig!  Those boards probably cost, what, over a grand EACH?  

I hope a single 7800GT will hold me over... and that adding another one will keep me going for a year or two!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice rig!

Do you think you could organize your wiring a little bit better to allow less restricted airflow?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some stats:

2 gig ram
250gig hard drive

False

Yeah I dont have enough money to drop $500 on each of the two new Nvidia cards....I dont have a money tree.

And, I dont think your picking up much from goin from SLI run 7800GTXs to a 7900, like come on

It doesnt matter how much performance I gain, I do it because I can.  I will NOT run any game in anything other than max settings, and upgrading the video cards every sub-generation helps me do that.

Besides, its only gonna cost me a couple hundred bucks after I figure on selling the 7800 cards.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Nice rig!

Do you think you could organize your wiring a little bit better to allow better airflow?

Eventually it will get tied off a bit better. My airflow is bitchin right now though, CPU is ~35C idle (even after overclocking), ~48C full load after 2 hours of CS:S.

4 case fans, + proc and chipset fan  and 2 fans in the power supply
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#28]
There's Cedega for games.  Plus some games have native linux binaries.  For example, a couple games that I play natively in Linux--Neverwinter Nights and America's Army.

As for DirectX...I'm against it.  Game companies should develop on OpenGL 2.0.  It's an open specification, so it can be implemented on MacOS, Linux, or Windows.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
There's Cedega for games.  Plus some games have native linux binaries.  For example, a couple games that I play natively in Linux--Neverwinter Nights and America's Army.

As for DirectX...I'm against it.  Game companies should develop on OpenGL 2.0.  It's an open specification, so it can be implemented on MacOS, Linux, or Windows.

cedega's reliability right now is marginal at best. I've had counter strike running on it. barely. FPS was shit. Crashed like crazy.

edit: i wasn't aware that AA had a linux release. Definitely gonna have to check into that. That's a fun game.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Cedega has gotten a lot better.  I have a subscription.  Version 5.1.

By the way, have you played America's Army?  I like it a lot better than CounterStrike.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Have you played America's Army?  I like it a lot better than CounterStrike.

Played it a while back, on my laptop. Had fun, but it wasnt as fun as CS to me. CS:S is WAY better, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Have you played America's Army?  I like it a lot better than CounterStrike.

Thats like saying a dog turd smells better vomit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

By the way, have you played America's Army?  I like it a lot better than CounterStrike.

forget them both, get something like Ravenshield...FAR better      also SWAT4...

I like it at least!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

forget them both, get something like Ravenshield...FAR better      also SWAT4...

I like it at least!

I'm gonna stick with CS:S. The HL2 engine has made some awe inspiring improvements to the game.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like it at least!

I'm gonna stick with CS:S. The HL2 engine has made some awe inspiring improvements to the game.

Or you can always get a real game like Battlefield 2
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like it at least!

That's next on the list. I hear it's worse than crack, though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like it at least!

When you get it, join our clan.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like it at least!

AI still blows I hear...

im stuck behind a college firewall, hopefully ill circumvent it with wireless though.

If internet connections were even better, CS would be a better game...because so much more of the environment would be interactive...comparing a SP level in HL2 to a CS:S map, you can see what im talking about.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm not going to install Windows just to play games.  If I can't get it to work natively or through Cedega, then it is just not worth it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like it at least!

AI still blows I hear...

im stuck behind a college firewall, hopefully ill circumvent it with wireless though.

If internet connections were even better, CS would be a better game...because so much more of the environment would be interactive...comparing a SP level in HL2 to a CS:S map, you can see what im talking about.

You do not play BF2 to play with the AI.  Completely pointless, and not how the game is played.  Doesnt matter how good the AI is, it isnt supposed to be used at all.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I'm not going to install Windows just to play games.  If I can't get it to work natively or through Cedega, then it is just not worth it.

your loss
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:17:07 AM EDT
[#42]
congrats on the build zack3g, its a killer system.

join us on bf2 when you get the game.   make sure you get all the patches, they just released a new patch for the game last night
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:24:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Nice system.  

I just built a AMD 3700, 7800GT based system myself.  I like what you've done with the wiring.  Mine looks like a tangled plate of spaghetti.

I have to look into this "overclocking" thing, I have heard it produces a lot of results.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#44]
IBTYSHBAMP!

(In before the you should have bought a Mac people)

Nice system.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#45]
BF2 will run nicely on anything with a 6800GS or higher.

I've got an AMD 3700+ SanDiego, 2 gigs PC3200 ram, SATA II drive(love it), and a 6800GS.

I'm running BF2 on 1600x1200, low dynamic lighting/shadows, everything else turned to high with 2x anti aliasing.   I've run it with high dyn lighting/shadows and the drop in fps isn't that terrible but it doesn't benefit you to play with them on high.

Game runs like butter only dropping to low 40s when I do something like fly through an arty strike.

Waiting for the 6800GS to drop a tad in price and I will probably go SLI once they hit around 150 dollars for an identical card to what I have.    Unless 7800s take a huge drop and I can manage a decent deal on one or two.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:18:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Decent system.  You paid more than you should have.  I would have gone with a liquid cooled system.  Nice IDE cables.  Round looks a lot better than the flat POS ones.  Blue light was a nice touch.  On a recent build we placed a glow in the dark substance in the liquid cooling tubes.  With a black light running in the background...great look.

If you ever decide to upgrade that monitor I would try the ViewSonic.

Overall...nice build.  Have fun with her.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like it at least!

Kids...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#48]
That's a computer
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like it at least!

Kids...

Dipshits....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like it at least!

AI still blows I hear...

You do not play BF2 to play with the AI.  Completely pointless, and not how the game is played.  Doesnt matter how good the AI is, it isnt supposed to be used at all.

not supposed to use the AI at all? well shit, why they even take time to design it then?  theres a legit question
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top