Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2001 10:14:45 PM EDT
[url]http://216.110.42.179/docs/hollings.090701.html[/url]

Sec. 101: Prohibition of Certain Devices

(a) In General -- It is unlawful to manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide or otherwise traffic in any interactive digital device that does not include and utilize certified security technologies that adhere to the security system standards adopted under section 104.
View Quote

but fear not my friends

for preban computers are ok!

(b) Exception -- Subsection (a) does not apply to the offer for sale or provision of, or other trafficking in, any previously-owned interactive digital device, if such device was legally manufactured or imported, and sold, prior to the effective date of regulations adopted under section 104 and not subsequently modified in violation of subsection (a) or 103(a).
View Quote

woohoo!  i am going to horde my grandfathered assault computers!

no soup for you!
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
When Linux is outlawed, only outlaws will run Linux!

woo-hoo!
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder who is behind this POS legislation, Micro$oft or the RIAA?  I would bet both.  If this legislation passes, there will be big money to be made selling computers again.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Sec. 103: Prohibited Acts

(a) Removal or Alteration of Security -- No person may --

(1) remove or alter any certified security technology in an interactive digital device;
View Quote

woohoo!  it is illegal to reformat!
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#4]
This is a much better link, it goes into more deatil without the legal speak.
[url]http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46655,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#5]
there just trying to f*ck over the napster clones and the Divx movies
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The funny thing is that when Napster use was in full swing, CD sales were at their best ever.  Now Napster has been shutdown, and record sales are slumping.  Hmmmm, maybe everyone is not pirate that the RIAA thinks they are.  

I know for a fact that I bought more CD's when I was using Napster.  After Napster was gone, I just kinda stuck to the music I have.

I think the RIAA is screwing themselves and aren't even smart enough to know it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#7]
It is known as the "Digital Millinium Copyright Act" or something like that. It was proposed by the RIAA and Hollywood. It already has it's problems. One guy was arrested, yes arrested for creating a program to play DVDs on his Linux box. Why, because it bypassed the Security procedures on the DVD. A Russian was arrested when visiting a convention in the U.S. for creating a program to view E-Books, because it bypassed security. As for me, I keep Drives and Programs forever, so I have plenty of Pre-Ban CD Players and DVD-Rom Drives. Personally, I find this law disgusting and Unconstitutional. But, to describe the RIAA and Hollywood's position in the words of Roos (Democratic Assemblyman From PRK), "To Hell With The Constitution." These same people hide behind the Constitution when their Movies and Songs are questioned. Yet, they want to pass unconstitutional restrictions. And, no I will not comply with this Law. I will not check Pre-Ban Status, I will not comply with security restrictions, and I will not care if I create an unsecured system. In my words "To hell with the DMCA."

I don't believe anybody will comply, because 70% of Americans are on the Internet. People will continue to use "Illegal" Post-Ban Systems and not give a damn. At least this isn't under the ATF's juristdiction. Maybe they can rename them the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobbaco, Firearms, and Computers or the BATFC. I.T. Experts/Professionals have a large voice and we almost all vote (Republican.) I wonder how this will conflict with the 1996 Law Banning Federal Agents From Entering File Sharing Sites in order to check for illegal software.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It is known as the "Digital Millinium Copyright Act" or something like that.
View Quote

Nope, not the DMCA.  This is new proposed legislation that would require hardware copy protection in all new computers.   The music/software industry has found that software copy protection is easy to crack, with the examples you have given above.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Sec. 1204. Criminal offenses and penalties

(a) In General. - Any person who violates section 1201 or 1202 willfully and for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain -
(1) shall be fined not more than $500,000 or imprisoned for not
more than 5 years, or both, for the first offense; and
(2) shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned for
not more than 10 years, or both, for any subsequent offense.
(b) Limitation for Nonprofit Library, Archives, Educational Institution, or Public Broadcasting Entity. - Subsection (a) shall not apply to a nonprofit library, archives, educational institution, or public broadcasting entity (as defined under section 118(g).
(c) Statute of Limitations. - No criminal proceeding shall be brought under this section unless such proceeding is commenced within 5 years after the cause of action arose.
View Quote

Hmm, I wonder if I give them away for free... ? Probably cost alot of money, but would sure piss off the powers that be. In the mean time, I'll be collecting Pre-Ban BIOS Chips, & Drives, which is where the security would probably be. I can sell the Pre-Bans at a profit and keep or give away the Post-Bans (w/o Security.) This will create a bustling overseas business. Perhaps New Motherboards will be created to allow the use of Pre-Ban Bios Chips.

I still have a whole box of Pre-Ban 66 Mhz 486 Motherboard/CPU Combos. I'll sell them for $500/each. Get 'em while you still can.

I truly doubt the prices will go up though, since most persons will buy (exempt) and the Sellers will be overseas and shielded from U.S. Laws.

Perhaps we'll see U.S. Customs interdicting boatloads of Illegal Computers and ignoring the other boat full of Cocaine bound for Miami to be sold as Crack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top