Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 10:12:16 PM EDT
No word on if it was a pre-ban or post-ban pickup truck...

Man Kills 2 Preschoolers in Mexico  

.c The Associated Press

MEXICO CITY (May 6) - A man raced his pickup into a crowd of preschool children gathered outside their school Monday for a flag ceremony, killing two toddlers and injuring about 20, police said.

Television viewers watched in horror as news footage showed a pickup truck waiting as a group of 100 preschoolers and their teachers held a flag ceremony in the street. Suddenly, the truck backed up, then roared into the crowd, running over several children and teachers.

Killed were 2-year-old Ariana Martinez and 3-year-old Rodrigo Reyes. Two adults and some 20 other children, including a 4-month-old baby, were injured, police said.

Shocked toddlers, bloodied and bandaged, recounted on television news reports how the truck was suddenly on top of them. Screaming parents were shown clutching injured children in the street in front of the school.

Jose Luis Nieto, a 56-year-old mechanic whose shop was located in front of the preschool, was arrested and accused of driving the truck. He had long complained about the school's daily flag ceremony, saying the crowd blocked access to his shop.

Jorge Nunez, a local city official, said that more than five months ago Nieto had sought to ban the students from holding their daily ceremony in the street.

Several parents of the children said the school had received a judge's order allowing them to hold the ceremony. The school's director was one of the injured and could not confirm the reports.

Parents of the children said Nieto had driven his truck at the crowd before, suddenly braking before hitting anyone.

The school had operated for more than three years and had more than 100 students.

AP-NY-05-06-02 2259EDT

View Quote

Thats it! No automobiles within 1000ft of school children! We need a law!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
What a worthless sub human.  I hope they execute him.....
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What a worthless sub human.  I hope they execute him.....
View Quote

I'm surprised some of the parents didn't. I don't know the laws down there, but I think they would have been justified to drag him out of his pick-up and beating him with his own tools.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
How sad... "was fatally injured while being detained by bystanders".  I wish...

Well, he won't have to worry about his shop being blocked, anymore.  Man, I hope the Federales did a stomp job on him...
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]
What gets me is they say he's done this before yet would always stop before actually hitting them...

How about moving anyways?!?  Brakes go out...guy could've been drunk...whatever.

Its a tragedy but the people responsible for the kids are morons.  Just stand and don't worry about the oncoming car.  He's stopped before so he's not really a threat...if I had hair (I have a flatop) I'd probably be pulling it out right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top