Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2011 4:02:19 PM EDT
I have not picked him up yet so no pics but we found a guy with some 6-8 week old males.  I just wonder what I should expect The dog is mainly for my 5 year old daughter but of course he will be a member of the family.  Is there anything I should expect with a Beagle or anything I should watch for when I pick him up.  I will be sure to post some pics when I do pick them up but one more question what is the going rate for a dog like this.  We had planned on adopting but were just not able to find what we wanted but these dogs are apparently registered purebred (not that being registered matters to us we just wanted a beagle) so what should I expect to pay for an 8 week old male registered beagle pup?? I would  like to know I am not getting ripped off they are not EXPENSIVE but not cheap.

Link Posted: 9/3/2011 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
With a beagle, it's ALL about the nose. This leads to some of them getting into trouble with being overweight because they will find ANYTHING they can eat. Also, they tend to be vocal, and have a baying type bark. Great dogs, overall. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't let it get off the leash or you'll be chasing for miles.
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]
^^^ these 2 basically summed it up. I got lucky, our girl, passed this Jan, was not vocal. Whenever we'd go on a walk, 2-3 a day, her nose was planted on the ground sniffing. She walked into a tree, light post, muffler, bumper, bush, you get the picture. They are smart, which will also get them into trouble. If you don't exercise, or feed good quality food, you'll have a Dom DeLuise in no time. Fat and loves to eat. They will eat ANYTHING! Some beagles bark at anything and everything. blades of grass, dust, your shoes, the wall, air, and God forbid they see a cat/rabbit/squirrel. Don't know what you're paying, 12years ago, I bought Mabel for $250. That was going rate here. Then the Beagle took top honors at the AKC show a few years back, here raised them to around $350.

So 3 things to expect
1- they bark/bay
2- their nose
3- the fatten up easy.

All the cursing, and trouble Mabel got into, I wouldn't have traded it for anything.
dog bed and a nice blanket, she still liked the sofa arm???

Link Posted: 9/7/2011 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Well we got him...

Not the best pic but it has been raining since we picked him up so all I have is a shitty phone pic.  The wife and little one named him cookie and he is registered or so the guy says we are waiting for the papers.  As far as the price goes we got him for $200 which I think was decent considering what some of my neighbors have paid for purebreds.  I took him for his first walk on a leash today and MAN does he follow his nose, even at 8 weeks he has one powerful sniffer.  I am thinking garbage day was not the best first walk day for a pup like this because we had to investigate each and every garbage can.  So far he is pretty quiet except for when I leave him alone at night in the pen I built for him in the basement then he whines so much so that I can hear him 3 floors up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]
What a cutie! My dog loves to lay on the sofa arm too, although if he gets hot, he likes to lay on the marble in front of the fireplace.

Be warned: you can NOT hide food from beagles. If you want it secure, keep it behind a door they can't open. Otherwise, it WILL get eaten. I can't tell you the number of dinners made for myself that my dog enjoyed instead. Like a child, he learned that if the phone rang, I was occupied and not paying attention to him.

I forgot to mention that beagles are pack animals and don't like being alone. He will be much happier if he can spend time with the family. Even line of sight will help. My dog isn't allowed on the bed, but he has a bed on the floor of one of my closets, where he can see me.

Link Posted: 9/7/2011 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
My brother's beagle only makes right turns. Hopefully yours isn't defective.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Great looking pup!

We figured out after two night our lab Trigger likes to be in the same of room or line of sight at night or he'll whine too.  Make him tough it out in the kennel though, let him out when he's quiet in the middle of the night to go potty and then back in.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#8]
$200 is good. Mabel cried when we first got her, and left her alone. Like stated, line of site worked. Also Mabel loved her kennel. She would punish herself, and let us try to figure out what she did. If she got tired and wanted to be alone, she would go sleep in her kennel. A lot don't like them, but if used right a dog will love their kennel. It's their safe zone. Good luck with cookie
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Be warned: you can NOT hide food from beagles. If you want it secure, keep it behind a door they can't open. Otherwise, it WILL get eaten. I can't tell you the number of dinners made for myself that my dog enjoyed instead. Like a child, he learned that if the phone rang, I was occupied and not paying attention to him.

Mabel learned this as well. She also figured out if she could do a run by steal or had to do a grab and go.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

$200 is good. Mabel cried when we first got her, and left her alone. Like stated, line of site worked. Also Mabel loved her kennel. She would punish herself, and let us try to figure out what she did. If she got tired and wanted to be alone, she would go sleep in her kennel. A lot don't like them, but if used right a dog will love their kennel. It's their safe zone. Good luck with cookie

The breeder sold us a cage that I guess someone gave to him or something, it is like 36"x24" and we got it for $25 so this is pretty much his home.  He stays in the basement and I built a small enclosure with chicken wire he can move around in but he stays in the cage at night and it seems to be working for training since he has only made one mess in the cage and that was on the first day.  He has already started singing for us when he is ready he calls me on the second floor from the basement with a little howl.

I took a couple more pics....

and his friend or torturer depending on the time of day...

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#11]
He sure is cute.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Cute pup! When we were kids out first dog was a beagle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#13]
All the beagles I've had LOVE kids.

This is Scout. He is, without a doubt, the laziest dog I've ever had.

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#14]
great looking pup !!

here is my little guy at 6 months

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292/mollett89/jax1.jpg
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Cover most of the cage with a blanket or something.  Dogs love the security of a litle "hiding" place.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#16]
As everyone said a very beagles are a handful, but amazing dogs. My wife got me one about 4 years ago and hes great. We lucked out one some thing about him. Rarely have to put him on the lease, doesnt bark at everything and would be happy with sleeping on the couch with you all day when you are sick.

But he sees a rabbit or deer and he gone. We only feed him once a day and half the time he wont eat it all, but could eat 40lbs of cat food a day. Dont ever relax on training. They are very smart and very hardheaded. Tons of walks and playing is what he will crave.

Heres Benny after a hike in the snow.

And him with his new little brother.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Beagles are great dogs. Mine has never met a stranger and is the biggest couch potato out there. Can be hardheaded as previously mentioned and house training can take some time.

Ear infections can be quite common unless you regularly clean them with a dedicated wash solution. Anal glands may need to be expressed from time to time also as part of normal grooming regime. If the dog starts to walk and wince in pain, then the anal glands are impacted and need to be expressed.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#18]
argh can't get the picture to load
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top