Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2005 8:34:30 PM EDT
Last Friday night, I went to an auction. Here is a letter I wrote Sat and a pic.

Last night I was invited to attend an auction put on by Orange County Choppers in Manhattan, New York. There were many celebrities there; Stephen Tyler of Aerosmith fame, Paul Sr & Jr, Mikey, and Jessica Lynch. The auction benefited soldiers that have been wounded, and their families.

Before the auction, my five fellow soldiers and I stood in the “VIP” room along with all these people and watched them interact with us and others. We were in Dress uniforms, which are not the most comfortable thing to wear, but there was more to the discomfort we were feeling than the uniforms. We realized we did not fit in.

When Steven Tyler saw us standing on the sidelines, he came over and said, “How about a picture guys”? We then stood around in a line with him and Paul Jr., and a photo was taken with a camera one of our guys had brought along. At this point, I almost asked Stephen where he wanted us to send the photo of him with us to, and if he wanted our autographs.

Just then, some of the wounded troops came in. Some in wheelchairs with no legs, some with disfiguring wounds, some blind. They were now the ones on the outside of the “circle”. We slowly moved into the background, letting Stephen to talk to the guys who were wounded. He talked with then for quite a while, and seemed very interested in what they had to say. I am very appreciative of the fact that he genuinely seemed to care.

After the auction, on the drive home, I sat and thought about the evening. I felt grateful for what everyone had done. The expense and generosity by the celebrities at the auction was fantastic, and in no way am I trying to take anything away from them. Without them, it would not have happened at all. But I’ll never really sit and have a beer with any of them.

When I thought about the photo though, I thought perhaps I should have asked about the address and autographs. While it will be a nice memento for my scrap book when I am old and grey, to be honest, I’ll always treasure more, those photos of friends from the Army that will sit next to it in the book. People I did have beers with. Some of those people are not with us any more.

The people who serve in the Military may not make as much money, be famous, or ever really stand in the spotlight, but they do give America and the world a service that is at least as great a value as a catchy song, or beautiful motorcycle. The people of the U.S. may not always realize this. The military comes into, and falls out of favor of the U.S. people in cycles over the years, and we have come to understand and expect that. It goes with the job.

Well, my boots are shined, and my uniforms are pressed. Next week will be another long one, so I am off to the Enlisted Club for a beer with friends. Oh, and Stephen Tyler, if you are reading this, you can have my autograph any time, just ask.

Sgt. Coley Foster

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:36:13 PM EDT
So you the old guy with the crazy hair and jeans?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:38:16 PM EDT
Blues LOL

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:38:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By olyarms:
So you the old guy with the crazy hair and jeans?

He's the one with the gigantic head.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:40:12 PM EDT
Boy, Steven Tyler looks like a cadaver. I'm surprised you didn't open fire thinking he was a zombie.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:42:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/18/2005 8:43:08 PM EDT by captainpooby]
Well said. I've never gotten the star worship thing.

ETA: Tyler looks like a corpse.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:44:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/18/2005 8:44:39 PM EDT by 1GUNRUNNER]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:45:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrScaramanga:
Boy, Steven Tyler looks like a cadaver. I'm surprised you didn't open fire thinking he was a zombie.

He is just tired from looking at all the zeros on his checking balance.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:48:27 PM EDT
So what were the OCC guys REALLY like?

Pretty sweet you got to meet them!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:00:08 PM EDT
Hey, Tyler is an OK guy!!

We ran into him several years ago at the "BIG SHOW" in December. The Crossroads gun & SAR show in Phoenix. He was getting a bunch of 50 BMG stuff that he was going to take up to Nugent's place for a big shoot!!

My friends all took pics with him & got autographs. Really a nice guy.

And he seems to really feel for the troops.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:00:55 PM EDT
Guys just like you and I. Vinnie, Cody, and Rick seem to be the most normal and hard working.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:15:34 PM EDT
Tyler came from my old home town in Mass. The guy is one of us. His music is great stuff. He is a good man. I support him and his Band.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:16:05 PM EDT
Man, half of you, just do not get it
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:22:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aviator:

I get it.

Steven Tyler isn't a hero, the troops are.

I agree, btw, but then you posted your pic with the dude and look what it evokes in people....responses like you got. That's what celebrity is all about, and you unwittingly perpetuated it.

Carry on.

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:24:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/18/2005 9:32:19 PM EDT by olyarms]

I think everyone is just screwing around with yeah.

ETA: It was a nice thing they did but well deserved.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:24:10 PM EDT
Sometimes thats what it takes around here to get people to read shit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:31:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrScaramanga:

Stevie is already embalmed. A ton of hash marks for an E-5. Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:35:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:37:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:45:51 PM EDT
After the war in RVN I would go with my uncle to help at Chelsea Naval Hospital in Mass. He was a parapaligic and would help the DAV 's with with life adjustment skills ( like how to get up if you fell from your wheelchair). My Uncle and the guys in the ward were where my Heroes. Tyler is a great music maker and a good man from what I hear. If he was there helping . I am sure he felt he same way as you or I and I respect him for being there. His celeberty does not out weigh the valor ot the wounded Heroes Please don't deminish Tyler because of his fame, he was there and that matters to me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:57:31 AM EDT
I'd post more, but I rarely get internet access. Hoping to change that soon

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:01:24 PM EDT
It is pretty cool, glad to see that Stephen Tyler is doing something for the good folks who wear the uniform and put their lives on the line so we can be free.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:04:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2005 12:08:42 PM EDT by quijanos]

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:
It is pretty cool, glad to see that Stephen Tyler is doing something for the good folks who wear the uniform and put their lives on the line so we can be free.

+1 but he sure is looking like SHIT these days.....

Aviator,
Who's the USA baldy on the left ( the one standing with the Gangsta Lean) ??? He's got more fruit salad and less than half the hash marks than you do. Coming from the Corps, it kinda always twists me at all the decor the Army hands out. No flame meant to the Army or anyone who served but the Marine Corps flat out doesn't give away a fucking thing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:04:48 PM EDT
That guy to your left looks like Conan O'brien.

Paul Jr. looks like private Pyle from FMJ.
Tyler looks like a dead person.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:06:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By quijanos:

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

+1 but he sure is looking like SHIT these days.....

Further proof that living fast and partying will catch up to you. That is why I am starting to treat my body a lot better.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:09:41 PM EDT
that's fucking cool! tyler ain't no hero but he's going out of his way and doing what he can!

i'll tell ya first hand, it ain't easy talking to guys who've been wia and if he can do it and make 'em smile, that's just fucking awesome!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:13:00 PM EDT
All the other guys in the photo Just got back from Afghanistan a while back. Since they are in Class As, and I am in Blues the stripes mean different things. In blues, they are service stripes on both arms. No unit patch or combat patches. In class As, the right sleeve is combat stripes, the left is service. One service stripe for every 3 years. I only have one combat stripe.

BTW, the famous pic of the chinook with its ass end on the little building in the mountains everyone has seen... that was these guys. Very likely that one of them was a crew chief or flight engineer in that aircraft.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:16:46 PM EDT

Blues LOL

Aviator

I was about to say, "The guy in dress blues looks like a hard-core MF."

Oh crap, I said it anyway...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:18:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2005 12:26:50 PM EDT by quijanos]

All the other guys in the photo Just got back from Afghanistan a while back. Since they are in Class As, and I am in Blues the stripes mean different things. In blues, they are service stripes on both arms. No unit patch or combat patches. In class As, the right sleeve is combat stripes, the left is service. One service stripe for every 3 years. I only have one combat stripe.

BTW, the famous pic of the chinook with its ass end on the little building in the mountains everyone has seen... that was these guys. Very likely that one of them was a crew chief or flight engineer in that aircraft.

Aviator

Again, no flame meant. Nonetheless, crew chief or not, I don't believe General McNamara had that much decoration when he died plus, the fact that almost everyone in the pic is standing up straight (even Tyler) ; read: Squared Away, Good Posture, and this particular indivdual is hanging out like he's back on the block. Hero or Not, I feel if he's in uniform he needs to play the part and not discredit the uniform. Kinda Unsat if you ask me, but what the fuck does a Jarhead like me know about appearance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:58:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:59:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
Anyone tell you lately you look like a slightly shorter and fatter Kiefer Sutherland?

Aviator Power Hour?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:31:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
Anyone tell you lately you look like a slightly shorter and fatter Kiefer Sutherland?

Only you baby!

Aviator
Top Top