Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 7:22:50 PM EDT
2 things I always wanted to be when I was a kid.  One a doctor and 2 a LEO.  Well I am finishing up my residency in a year.  I really still want to be a LEO.  I thought I would grow out of it, but at 32 years old, I still want to do it.  Any of you guys physicians and officers?

What are my options as for as going into law enforcement after all these years of training to be a physician?  I was in the Navy in my early twenties, but other than that no experience.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I worked with a doc who was on the SERT team, though not a regular officer.  Had the best of both worlds.  Got to play Shaft and make Shaft money
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Well sounds like you definetly have the drive. I haven't been through med school but I have gone through the police academy and am pretty sure it's safe to say Med school blows the academy out of the water in the difficulty department. So I don't think you'll have a problem. If I was you I'd go reserve and do the MD thing full time. LE work doesn't pay a whole lot and this way you'll be able to be an LEO on the side but still make some cheese while you're at it. And around her the only reserve officers on SWAT are the ones with skills they desire, like paramedics and MDs. Not to many LEOs are cross certified in those fields, so they snatch'em up when they find'em. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I would agree with the reserve officer idea.  Years ago, most of the reserves on my Dpartment were doctors, lawyers or business professionals.  These days, most of them are  people who would like to be full time officers but can't get hired fo whatever reason.  A lot of them, against regulations, use their reserve status to obtain part time security jobs and have no "regular" employer.  I would think that you would be a huge asset to any department with a decent reserve program.  

I would think that being a doctor and reserve officer would be a pretty good balance.  You would receive the praise from the people you help as a doctor and the hatred from 95% of society for being a cop (except of course for the five minute period when they need your help).

Don't waste that education!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Most part time/ full time swat teams really want a doctor to be with them during practices and deployments.  If you were a reserve then you would be able to practice with them and it would be the best of both worlds.  That is what our team doctor does and if you ask him it is the best gig in the world, he gets to shoot and fix people up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#5]
The Surgeon General of the U.S., Dr. Richard Carmona, was an LEO. He used to be a SWAT doc for the Pima County Sheriff in Tucson. He also used to be my medical director at U of A football games. He used to pack, and actually shot and killed an individual who was threatening a woman. It turns out that the perp was a grade A psycho who had already stabbed his father to death, and was on a rampage.

Long story short, you would have some interesting company.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Surgeon General of the U.S., Dr. Richard Carmona, was an LEO. He used to be a SWAT doc for the Pima County Sheriff in Tucson. He also used to be my medical director at U of A football games. He used to pack, and actually shot and killed an individual who was threatening a woman. It turns out that the perp was a grade A psycho who had already stabbed his father to death, and was on a rampage.

Long story short, you would have some interesting company.

He was also Special Forces and served in Vietnam, from what I read in an article.  I've seen a kickass picture of him in a stack outside a building, carrying a 1911.  That's my kind of surgeon general!

ETA:

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#7]
How about joining the FBI? once in there are many options open in various fields.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the responses.  Reserve Sert/Swat are exactly what I would like to be doing.  If any of you are Docs who work in these fields I would appreciate your feedback.  I am going to start pursuing this avenue, I just am not sure where a doctor should start?  
Thanks
JW
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I would say the best way would be to simply go up to the department and inquire on how you could provide your assistance.
I know at this department if you wanted to be a Reserve or Search and Rescue, all you have to do is ask, then applications are there for the taking. Just fill them out and return before the next recruitment cycle. I know here we are always looking for people to do both.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would say the best way would be to simply go up to the department and inquire on how you could provide your assistance.
I know at this department if you wanted to be a Reserve or Search and Rescue, all you have to do is ask, then applications are there for the taking. Just fill them out and return before the next recruitment cycle. I know here we are always looking for people to do both.

Sounds like good info.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I know one physician in Victoria who is SO reserve, If you like I can IM his name to you

Lebrew
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Just out of curiosity, what part of Ga. are you from? Any ideas on what department or type of department you want to serve with?

I know that the G.B.I. would scoop you up in a minute. But that is mostly CSI ish stuff and I dont think that they retained any of thier tactical assets after the State Patrol took it over.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, what part of Ga. are you from? Any ideas on what department or type of department you want to serve with?

I know that the G.B.I. would scoop you up in a minute. But that is mostly CSI ish stuff and I dont think that they retained any of thier tactical assets after the State Patrol took it over.

I am in Atlanta.  I am sooooo not interested in CSI stuff.  
Any tactical type stuff would be fine.  I am not picky yet.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
2 things I always wanted to be when I was a kid.  One a doctor and 2 a LEO.  Well I am finishing up my residency in a year.  I really still want to be a LEO.  I thought I would grow out of it, but at 32 years old, I still want to do it.  Any of you guys physicians and officers?

What are my options as for as going into law enforcement after all these years of training to be a physician?  I was in the Navy in my early twenties, but other than that no experience.  

Well, I couldn't tell you for sure just yet, but I'm a registered nurse who's starting testing for local departments at the end of this month. Seems to me that LEO and doctors/nurses/EMTs deal with many of the same people, ie. mental health problems and drug/alcohol abusers, so you do have experience in that aspect. I'm hoping that my ER experience as a nurse will help me get hired and hopefully help with a spot as a medic on a tactical/warrant team eventually. As others in this thread have mentioned, it would be quite a plus to most departments to have a physician (or hopefully a nurse as well!) working with them, I'm sure you won't have a problem getting on with one of them. Let us know how it goes!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#15]
what was your res in?  there are several fellowships that are in "tactical med"  like this one at UT Southwest in texas.  they've changed the name ot make it sound more pc GOVERNMENT EMERGENCY MEDICINE SECURITY SERVICES (GEMSS)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How about joining the FBI? once in there are many options open in various fields.

+1 if you are under 36 years of age and are in good physical shape.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#18]
There is a foot doctor here in town who is a reserve officer. Every once in a while he'll deliver a baby or something like that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
We had a RN on our ERT..till politics got in the way.

Mind elaborating? If not I understand.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top