Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 9:41:27 PM EDT
Heading to Puerto Vallarta first week of October with my family.  I'll be bringing my 4 year old son.

I've never been to Mexico, what can I expect?  Can I bring a 4.5 inch blade blunt tip dive knife with me in my checked luggage?

Is it advisable to bring or fashion an improvised weapon for this visit?

And finally, what's the diving like in the Pacific this time of year?

The GF and I are going to be doing some Scuba diving for 2 days.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be there the week before you, so maybe I'll let you know.  We get back [from Puerto Vallarta] the evening of Oct 2.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Last time my folks went there all was safe in the resort. Puerto Vallerta is *very* touristy and safe from local retardation. If you stay on the reservation you should be fine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Puerto Vallarta is very safe. Me and several of my friends stayed away from the tourist areas and rented a villa in an area called Conchas Chinas. We never felt that our security was compromised, just don't walk around in the ghetto.

Also, the policia can be bribed very easily if they give you any trouble. Just don't get caught with drugs and you will be fine.

ETA- Do not drink the water. Stick to beer, tequila, and bottled beverages

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't bring weapons, you'll be safe... Oh and don't drink the water unless you want to meet Montezuma.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe we'll be staying about an hour from PV.  My Mother and Father have a place, and we're converging down there from various places from NYC to Alaska, with me in between in CO.  Kind of a big familt get together.

Should I convert my money to Pesos, or keep the majority in US Currency?

Any recommend a good dive operator down there?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Christ, why go? You sound like you're preparing for some mission.  I'd avoid it all together if I was that worried.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Christ, why go? You sound like you're preparing for some mission.  I'd avoid it all together if I was that worried.

Well, it's not like I'm looking to make field expedient mortars.  I've never been to Mexico, have heard shitty things about the crime - specifically child abduction there, and read the State Department warnings.  So if someone says that you can get away with packing a folding knife, then I'd probably carry one.

Other than that, my questions were about Pesos and whether customs would have an issue with a dive knife.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Your fine. stay near the resort. The resort will have dive master's and crews there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you stay on the reservation you should be fine.

I refuse to vacation anywhere that this rule applies.

There are just too many nice places in the world to visit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted: I've never been to Mexico, have heard shitty things about the crime - specifically child abduction...

And then you decided to bring your 4 year old there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your fine. stay near the resort. The resort will have dive master's and crews there.

Watch the movie "Open Water" before you go.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I've never been on the pacific side(always riviera)

Only drink bottled water
Watch your ice concumption although most of it comes from purified sources now
Bring imodium as a backup(works great)
I've never brought a blade due to my dad getting the shakedown at a police checkpoint followed by a bribe given and him loosing his folder
Find a reputable dive shop in the area. Typically the nicest are the safest but the local type ones offer better tours/insight although they can get shady quick. Every nice dive shop I've seen down there has also had a good reputation.
Don't worry about converting to pesos as the dollar is plentiful. Most places give change back in dollars now too although some will in pesos. Also the rate is pretty steady but watch for excessive rounding(hard to prove unless rate is posted somewhere.
Money talks and so does respect. Treat the locals good and get past their tourist bullshit speeches and you'll see they are easy and pleasant to deal with.

Have fun. Use your head like anywhere else you might travel and you will be fine. I honestly am way more scared of new orleans than I ever was of mexico.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I had no issues with large dive knives. However I will not be returning to Mexico until things calm down (which may be a very long time). I also carried folding and fixed blade knives on me while not diving.

They should still take dollars in PV, but many other places won't take them now.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Go where the larger cruise ships make port calls. If anybody is stirring up trouble there the cruise lines send in the gestapo to crack some heads.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#15]
The only SCUBA diving I did in Puerto Vallarta was around the Marietas Islands, which are just a ways out into the bay. It's nowhere near as impressive as diving the gulf side, especially Cancun and Cozumel. If you've only ever been fresh water diving and it's your first time in the ocean, you'll really enjoy it. Puerto Vallarta isn't really a dive destination like places along the Gulf of Mexico.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#16]
You won't need pesos for a damn thing.

You'll be fine, as long as you aren't drunk in public, in the nightclubs rubbing up on locals, interacting with the policia, or federales.

Carry a knife if you feel you need to, but its a great opportunity to get extorted.

Stay out of local barrios/neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I went down for 10 days in March 08. I carried a folder the whole time. No issues, but also no police contact. The blade was 3".

Used it for cutting a lot of limes.

Have a fun and safe trip!!!!

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I think everyone missed the part about being an hour outside of Puerto Vallarta .  That's a game changer unless you know more about that area.  It's definitely off the reservation.......
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think everyone missed the part about being an hour outside of Puerto Vallarta .  That's a game changer unless you know more about that area.  It's definitely off the reservation.......

Rancho Banderas is the name of the place.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Giving money to Mexico in any way, shape, or form is a bad idea, and does not help our country.  I sacrificed by not drinking any more Negro Modelo,  maybe you could find another place to dive?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Giving money to Mexico in any way, shape, or form is a bad idea, and does not help our country.  I sacrificed by not drinking any more Negro Modelo,  maybe you could find another place to dive?

Agreed, Mexico is not on my top places to visit list, but this is a trip my family put together and my parents have a place down there.  They planned to the trip to get us all (my siblings and our families) together from the various parts of the U.S. that we live.  No one will be diving down there but me and the GF, that part was kind of an afterthought for us.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Dont take the knife, use EMT shears.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rancho Banderas is the name of the place.

Based on Trip Advisor I'm guessing you're good to go!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499443-d642369-Reviews-Rancho_Banderas_Vacation_Villas-Punta_de_Mita_Pacific_Coast.html

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Got some of those, you think customs would bitch about my Tusa XPert?

eta:  WTF, tinypic is fucked up
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#26]
one hour out might be san pancho de nayarit.   truly beautiful sleepy surf village with one resort.  PV is safe.  if you can do numbers in spanish then buy some pesos. go to the canpopy tours if theyre open.  theyre a whole lot of fun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, Mexico is not on my top places to visit list, but this is a trip my family put together and my parents have a place down there.  They planned to the trip to get us all (my siblings and our families) together from the various parts of the U.S. that we live.  No one will be diving down there but me and the GF, that part was kind of an afterthought for us.

Be real careful,  I have heard that the crime around resort areas is increasing and the government is suppressing reporting of the increased violence.   My mother is a Nurse who does Medical Missionary work in Mexico, and I convinced her not to go anymore.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got some of those, you think customs would bitch about my Tusa XPert?

http://i52.tinypic.com/2a83juc.jpg

Best case, they take it from you.  Worst case, you get to see the inside of a Mexican jail.  Does not seem worth it to me.  If you have GOOD EMT shears, you should be just fine. I have ones with orange handles, and I found that a pair easily stashes in a belt holster designed for a 2AA mini maglight.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be real careful,  I have heard that the crime around resort areas is increasing and the government is suppressing reporting of the increased violence.   My mother is a Nurse who does Medical Missionary work in Mexico, and I convinced her not to go anymore.

Yes.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Great.

Now I have to decide whether all this is the usual GD paranoia feeding my own excessive paranoia, or that Mexico has really become a fuckin war zone and we should just go to the Keys or something.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Great.

Now I have to decide whether all this is the usual GD paranoia feeding my own excessive paranoia, or that Mexico has really become a fuckin war zone and we should just go to the Keys or something.

There will always be a small chance that something can happen to you and your family..But many americans arestill going down to vacation in mexico safely. Primarily the violence is in northern mexico Since yoour flying down then you have lessoned possible contact issues.

If It was me I'd would be going diving w/my family to Puerto Villarta without worries

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watch the movie "Open Water" before you go.

That was by a wide margin the most boring movie I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great.

There will always be a small chance that something can happen to you and your family..But many americans arestill going down to vacation in mexico safely. Primarily the violence is in northern mexico Since yoour flying down then you have lessoned possible contact issues.

If It was me I'd would be going diving w/my family to Puerto Villarta without worries

YMMV

Except for the 4 headless bodies found hanging from a bridge in Cuernavaca Mexico in April (Central Mexico), Oh yeah, and the eight people killed in a bar in Cancun in August (surely that's not a tourist location, must be in Northern Mexico.......)....And the 24 killed in Acapulco in March (another not-so-touristy location, I think its in Northern Mex too......).......Don't take this wrong, but don't bury your head in the sand either.  I work in South Texas and have worked extensively in Mexico, I would not even travel to South Texas, much less Mexico with my wife and children right now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Don't go.

Let Mexico rot, don't feed it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#35]
mexico = afghanistan

would you take your family to kabul?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

mexico = afghanistan

would you take your family to kabul?

Maybe the "nice" parts?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top