BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 11:05:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#1]
pussies
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#2]
On the other hand, didn't Chirac promise to nuke any state involved with a terrorist attack in France?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
The frogs get off on submission.

ETA: I was going to order a Danish Ham for the Superbowl- no luck. Unless Publix has 'em in the Deli I'll have to settle for some Havarti cheese and Tuborg. Not a bad compromise.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
On the other hand, didn't Chirac promise to nuke any state involved with a terrorist attack in France?

I didn't hear about the French nuking anyone for the rioting last summer...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#5]
The owner is Egyptian, I believe.  Not surprising he might take it all a little more personally.

I don't think it is unreasonable for the guy to be fired, especially if the publisshing of the cartoon was purely gratuitous.  We get pissed when pictures of dead soldiers and the like are published purely to stir up trouble.

Just a thought.

ETA: Found where i read that:
news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2631&ncid=2631&e=34&u=/ap/20060202/ap_on_bi_ge/prophet_drawings_6
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
pussies

What he said.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Of course the muslims are mad, look at the horror!

You can see more of the cartoons here:

http://www.di2.nu/files/Muhammed_Cartoons_Jyllands_Posten.html

Very interesting point raised by the blogger who is hosting these, putting a spotlight on the hypocrisy of the media as it were:

I personlly cannot help contrasting the reaction to these cartoons with the reaction to those that refer to Jesus and are apparently quite acceptable. In fact in the latter case it is apparently the Christians who need to get "with the program" not the cartoonist.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Not exactly, another newspaper and not the least important one has  joined the band wagon.

PARIS, Feb 2, 2006 (AFP) - France's respected daily newspaper Le Monde joined a European press campaign for freedom of expression Thursday with a front-page cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed and an editorial defending the right to ridicule religions.

The drawing by the paper's long-time cartoonist Plantu featured a head of the prophet made up of the words "I must not draw Mohammed" written repeatedly in long-hand.

"Religions are systems of thought, constructions of the spirit, beliefs which are to be respected certainly, but also freely analysed, criticised and even turned to ridicule," Le Monde said.

"A Muslim may well be shocked by a picture of Mohammed, especially an ill-intentioned one. But a democracy cannot start policing people's opinions, except by trampling the rights of man underfoot," it said.

Plantu told the newspaper that cartoonists and other humourists find it increasingly hard to touch on religion in their work.

"People do not understand to what point -- outside the Catholic Church which we can attack and which is, one has to say, very lenient -- it has become impossible to criticise religious things," he said.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Sad that the ROP could escalate this to killing people, even all-out rioting and destruction, over a fu**ing cartoon.  Meanwhile no government or media outlet really points out how stupid that is.  None of them, basically, tell the ROPers to calm the fu** down.  Everyone's too busy tap-dancing around the issue.

LIGHTEN UP, FRANCIS!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's another one, but I am thinking about making this my new avatar.

SBG
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#12]
France Soir owner Raymond Lakah is an Egyptian.

Just thought I would add that bit.

Eric The(WesternWorldRules)Hun
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The frogs get off on submission.

right?

chirac probably started beating off when he read that article.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted: Here's another one, but I am thinking about making this my new avatar. i20.photobucket.com/albums/b240/scaryblackguns/ProphetCartoon.jpg SBG
Hehe, you should! I double dog dare ya!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
France Soir owner Raymond Lakah is an Egyptian.

Just thought I would add that bit.

Eric The(WesternWorldRules)Hun

For once I beat Eric with some obscure piece of information.  HA!!!  Calendar marked.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Personally, I think religion is perhaps the STUPIDEST thing to get worked up about (even stupider than spelling nazis!)

I'm all for free exercize of religion (and the right to NOT practice a religion).   Whatever YOU want to believe in go for it, as long as it does not harm others.

People who try to force their religion on others are absolute scum.  You're not going to "save" anyone by changing their beliefs, so if they tell you "no" stop pushing it.

And as for using religion as a call to arms- without a doubt, the most ignorant, wasteful, hateful misuse of human energy.  The greatest crimes against humanity have all been committed in the name of religion.

This goes for ALL religions.  I can point to people from ANY religion who are guilty of forcing their beliefs on others, and using their beliefs as a call to arms.  If people would stop getting so wrapped up in their religions, I'd venture to bet that 90% of world conflict can be avoided.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

i20.photobucket.com/albums/b240/scaryblackguns/ProphetCartoon.jpg

SBG

I think we should all print this out on our computer and send a copy to CAIR or HAMAS or our local Iranian Embassy with a little note that exclaims the virtues of freedom of the press and freedom of speech and the lack of a freedom to be offended.

AVATAR?, I think we should commission a stamp with this picture and put it on every letter of protest we send.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn. My wife packed a grilled cheese sandwich in my lunch. You're not gonna BELIEVE whose face it looks like on one side! Guess I better get rid of it before someone gets pissed off.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

EVERY time I see that pic it gets FUNNIER & FUNNIER !!  

those INTOLERENT Islamists can go FCK themselves  IMHO
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

SBG

hmmm.... not a bad idea
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SBG

hmmm.... not a bad idea

I've been trying but I can't access the photo server?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#24]
There is no laughing allowed in the religion of peace.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Um yeah, I'm gonna have to say "Fuck Islam and Fuck Mohammed with a dead pig's dick".

Yeah.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Not exactly, another newspaper and not the least important one has  joined the band wagon.

PARIS, Feb 2, 2006 (AFP) - France's respected daily newspaper Le Monde joined a European press campaign for freedom of expression Thursday with a front-page cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed and an editorial defending the right to ridicule religions.

The drawing by the paper's long-time cartoonist Plantu featured a head of the prophet made up of the words "I must not draw Mohammed" written repeatedly in long-hand.

"Religions are systems of thought, constructions of the spirit, beliefs which are to be respected certainly, but also freely analysed, criticised and even turned to ridicule," Le Monde said.

"A Muslim may well be shocked by a picture of Mohammed, especially an ill-intentioned one. But a democracy cannot start policing people's opinions, except by trampling the rights of man underfoot," it said.
Plantu told the newspaper that cartoonists and other humourists find it increasingly hard to touch on religion in their work.

"People do not understand to what point -- outside the Catholic Church which we can attack and which is, one has to say, very lenient -- it has become impossible to criticise religious things," he said.

medias.lemonde.fr/mmpub/edt/ill/2006/02/02/h_4_ill_737383_06020301_umahomet+mapm_web.jpg

isn't this the definition of PC?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted: Here's another one, but I am thinking about making this my new avatar. i20.photobucket.com/albums/b240/scaryblackguns/ProphetCartoon.jpg SBG
Hehe, you should! I double dog dare ya!

Bring on the bombers!

SBG
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

medias.lemonde.fr/mmpub/edt/ill/2006/02/02/h_4_ill_737383_06020301_umahomet+mapm_web.jpg

isn't this the definition of PC?

it's coming to bite them in the ass.. huh
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#29]

I wonder what country will have the first killings done because of this? Like the massacre in asscrackistan that followed the fake story put out by Newsweek that us troops were flushing the koran down the toilet?

Seriously, I'm willing to bet that infidel heads will roll because of this.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#30]
so, will cox & forkum get death threats for not kowtowing to the oh so sacred mo?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Raymon Lakahn is an Egyptian but as far as i know he is Copt not muslim.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#34]
www.humaneventsonline.com/sarticle.php?id=12146

more of the   PRPHET  toons here
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Raymon Lakahn is an Egyptian but as far as i know he is Copt not muslim.

His actions today make him an honory member of the RoP®

Agree.

It's gonna get ugly

PARIS, Feb 2, 2006 (AFP) - Several French newspapers rallied Thursday in support of France Soir after it became the first publication outside Denmark and Norway to print all 12 controversial cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed.

The authoritative daily Le Monde published its own front-page depiction of Mohammed -- a drawing by cartoonist Plantu showing a bearded prophet made up of the words "I must not draw Mohammed" written repeatedly in long-hand.

"A Muslim may well be shocked by a picture of Mohammed, especially an ill-intentioned one. But a democracy cannot start policing people's opinions, except by trampling the rights of man underfoot," it said in an editorial.

The left-wing newspaper Liberation said it would publish two of the 12 cartoons in its Friday edition, along with six pages of comment on the affair which burst forth this week after smouldering for several months.

The satirical weekly Charlie-Hebdo said next week's paper would feature all 12 pictures, which include one of Mohammed with a bomb-shaped turban and another of him at the gate of heaven telling Muslim suicide-bombers to stop because "We ran out of virgins".

"We are going to do it as a matter of principle and to express solidarity with France Soir and our Danish colleagues," said editor Philippe Val.

"This is an inviolable question of principle here in the land of Voltaire and Zola. We are willing to appear before the courts if some think the drawings go too far, but we are certainly not willing to give way to the desires of religious extremists," he said.

The French government has kept its distance from the row, with ministers defending the principle of free expression but saying it should be exercised "with tolerance."

Meanwhile the editor of France Soir Jacques Lefranc challenged his sacking overnight by the paper's owner.

"This decision seems to me questionable in both reasoning and method," he said in a statement. "I reserve the option to contest it."

Lefranc was removed from his job as French-Egyptian owner Raymond Lakah apologised to Muslims for offence caused by the cartoons which appeared in Wednesday's edition.

The dismissal was meant as a "powerful sign of respect for the intimate beliefs and convictions of every individual," Lakah -- a Roman Catholic who has joint French-Egyptian citzenship -- said.

Once the country's biggest daily, France-Soir today sells fewer than 45,000 copies a day and has been in receivership since October. Seventy percent of the stock is owned by Lakah's company Montaigne Press.

Journalists on France-Soir said that Lefranc had been made a scapegoat in order to "make a symbolic gesture to the Muslim countries." Insiders said the editor had actually been opposed to publishing the cartoons, but was talked into it by colleagues.

Le Monde's cartoonist Plantu told his newspaper that cartoonists and other humourists find it increasingly hard to touch on religion in their work.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top