Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/24/2014 10:44:58 PM EDT
I've recently become interested in solar power systems sized for residential use.

Does anyone here know of a decent supplier or two of solar systems and accessories? Also, if anyone could recommend any reading material on the subject, I would be thankful.

Google searches seem to be muddied with all sorts of irrelevant garbage and websites that don't seem very reliable.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:58:36 PM EDT
Solar power for dummies. Seriously. Also Renewable Energy for Dummies. Good books. I have a 2 year degree from University of Alaska in renewable, and I used those books a lot.

Aviator
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:00:19 PM EDT
http://www.stevenharris.net
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:02:30 PM EDT
So you have some education, and clearly more knowledge on the subject than me. What are your thoughts on the overall value and feasibility of residential systems?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:05:38 PM EDT
Check out SolarCity. It's a company Elon Musk started. Basically, you lease the system, and payment costs less than your electric bill. No huge up-front costs. The lease can transfer if you sell the house.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:06:20 PM EDT
Depends on your site, and what you are trying to do. I live off grid, so it works very well for me.

Aviator
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:07:36 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
Check out SolarCity. It's a company Elon Musk started. Basically, you lease the system, and payment costs less than your electric bill. No huge up-front costs. The lease can transfer if you sell the house.
View Quote

Not available in TN.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:08:29 PM EDT
From the little I have read it's all about your location (amount of solar energy available)

current cost/availability of electricity in your location

The willingness of your local utility to allow Net Metering.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:12:59 PM EDT
Sun Electric

Homepower Magazine

Spend a few bucks on the Homepower subscription. You can download all their past issues in PDF format. Very handy for reference.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:18:46 PM EDT
grandparents have an array on their roof back in hawaii, even with central A/C, and all the other usual appliances they're paying on average $12-18$ per month for electricity. it's fucking awesome
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:27:06 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LesBaer45:
Homepower Magazine

Spend a few bucks on the Homepower subscription. You can download all their past issues in PDF format. Very handy for reference.
View Quote

+1.

Very useful info resource.

Solar Blvd has good prices on panels and other PV gear.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:09:14 PM EDT
Thanks for the information and sources fellas. I've got some reading to hold me over for a few weeks now.
Top Top