Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2003 5:38:14 AM EDT

A soldier with Italian special forces stands next to the site of the explosion that hit an Italian military police base Nov. 5 in Nasiriyah, killing at least 31 people.

The first of two aging Navy vessels due for dismantling arrives under tow Wednesday at the northern British port of Hartlepool. The two contaminated ships crossed the Atlantic but may be sent back because the United Kingdom has not granted permission for them to be dismantled here.

Spc. Ronald Johnson, from Cleveland, of the 4th Infantry Division, cleans his weapon Wednesday in one of Saddam Hussein’s former palaces.

An SH-60F Seahawk from the Helicopter Antisubmarine Squadron Five “Nightdippers” transports ordnance from Fast Combat Support Ship Supply to aircraft carrier George Washington on Monday in preparation for an upcoming deployment. The Norfolk-based carrier is conducting composite training unit exercise in the Atlantic Ocean.

Carolyn Dobbins, left, and Pateisha Smith, Goodwill Industry Food Service employees, serve recruits at Great Lakes Naval Training Center in Chicago on Nov. 3. The Navy is phasing out the week of galley duty that all recruits were required to complete and hired private workers to perform those duties.

Joseph DiPofi, 105, talks with Marine Cpl. Adrianne Rigez, 21, a correspondent for “Your Corps” Marine Television, during a ceremony at the Niagara Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Niagara Falls, N.Y., to honor DiPofi as the oldest living Marine.

Retired Coast Guard Capt. Ed Bryant salutes during a Veterans Day gathering at the War Memorial in Ispwich, Mass., on Tuesday. A flag from a D-Day landing craft on Omaha Beach in 1944, at left, was displayed during the ceremony.

The Thunderbird Team flies in close formation during Saturday’s Wings and Waves Air Show in Daytona Beach.

The Navy Blue Angels flight demonstration team does some close maneuvering during their last air show of the season Saturday at Pensacola Naval Air Station, Fla.

(Nov. 13, 2003) -- Gunnery Sgt. Duane Hanson, from Wausau, Fla., is a Drill Instructor at Officer Candidate School onboard NAS Pensacola. The Marines office, which they refer to as the “House of Pain," is in the battalion barracks where they lead officer candidates through a 13-week course of instruction. The Marines train civilian officer candidates and transform them into commissioned officers in the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps. through strict discipline, physical training, drills, and leadership.

Capt. Earl Yerger presents The People's Army of Vietnam Minister of National Defense, Senior Gen. Pham Van Tran with a plaque and USS Bataan ball cap as appreciation for the visit to the amphibious assault ship.

Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan (Nov 13, 2003) -- A plane captain assigned to the “Diamondbacks” of Strike Fighter Squadron One Zero Two (VFA-102) goes through the shutdown procedures prior to the pilot exiting an F/A-18F Super Hornet at Naval Air Facility Atsugi Japan. VFA-102, newly assigned to Carrier Air Wing Five (CVW-5), is the first Super Hornet squadron permanently forward deployed outside the United States.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:59:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll definitely second Hawkeye's sentiment.  A very poignant picture.

Also nice to see the Italian commandos with their Gucci sunglasses.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:01:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Ipswitch!!  One of my old hometowns!!  

MMmmmmmmmmm, fried clams, at the Agawam diner, (45 years ago..)!!!  oh, yum!!

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ipswitch!!  One of my old hometowns!!  

MMmmmmmmmmm, fried clams, at the Agawam diner, (45 years ago..)!!!  oh, yum!!

The Agawam Diner is still there; now there is a micky d's across the street and a shopping plaza just north of it on rt 1.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#5]

This image alone should lay to rest any further discussion on whether the USCG is a military organization or not. Thank you for your service, and continued dedication to the United States, Coastie!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Rotten little bastards. He should have keel hauled the little shit until they gave up the rest of our MIAs and KIAs.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#7]
WTF No more service week at Great Mistakes!!!!! This is one more example of pussifying the Military today.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#8]

www.navytimes.com/content/editorial/editart/111303front17.jpg
An SH-60F Seahawk from the Helicopter Antisubmarine Squadron Five “Nightdippers” transports ordnance from Fast Combat Support Ship Supply to aircraft carrier George Washington on Monday in preparation for an upcoming deployment. The Norfolk-based carrier is conducting composite training unit exercise in the Atlantic Ocean.

Navy Times has this description wrong. That's not a SH-60F, it's the new MH-60S Knighthawk.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#9]
So don't bitch at me, take it to the Navy Times.

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.navytimes.com/content/editorial/editart/111303front17.jpg

That's not a SH-60F, it's the new MH-60S Knighthawk.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome pictures
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Sheesh, did someone get their period today? I wasn't bitching at you, just making a correction. It's fairly obvious you didn't write the taglines for these pictures. Take it easy dude.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sheesh, did someone get their period today? I wasn't bitching at you, just making a correction. It's fairly obvious you didn't write the taglines for these pictures. Take it easy dude.

Are you the same Fly-Navy as over at genmay?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Are you the same Fly-Navy as over at genmay?

genmay? Not sure I know what that is...

I have the Fly Navy name on Airwarriors.com, AR15.com, SIG Forum, and The High Road.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#14]
No shithead, however, you quoted me as the source.
Had you been 'on the ball' you would have said "The Navy Times misidentified the H-60" instead of placing my name in your quote.

THAT'S why I said "Take it to the Navy Times."

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#15]
YIKES!!!

Exit only, soldier!

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I was gonna post about the rifle cleaning, too.

Then I remembered that he's probably dog-assed tired from patrolling that shithole and really sick of Iraqi's shooting at him, and that I'm here drinking a Coors and  watching the SciFi Channel while surfing ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Too bad the 102 don't have their Toms. Bad, bad, bad...
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
YIKES!!!

Exit only, soldier!

Do you mean he is cleaning by running the rod/swab from muzzle to breach?  

He could be pulling.  On small bore weapons, I sometimes put the rod in w/o tip from the muzzle and then screw in the tip with wetted swab and pull out.  (easier then pushing and less likely to bend the rod)
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Hope there is C4 with delay detonation.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
YIKES!!!

Exit only, soldier!

He could be pulling.  On small bore weapons, I sometimes put the rod in w/o tip from the muzzle and then screw in the tip with wetted swab and pull out.  (easier then pushing and less likely to bend the rod)

That looks like a bore snake to me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
WTF No more service week at Great Mistakes!!!!! This is one more example of pussifying the Military today.

Disagree.

That was a wasted week for sailors heading into the highly technical Navy.  Good move.

5sub
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Hot or what? She hot. but kindof a Monica look alike. oh yea she's a lance corperal not corperal
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#23]
look at the picture of the GI cleaning his barrel again?

where does the barrel start? dissipator?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
YIKES!!!

Exit only, soldier!

That looks like a bore snake to me.

Sho 'nuff!

After reading your post, I magnified and filtered the pic to reveal the boresnake.

Good eye!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#26]
How did that Soldier get a Dissipator? Cool though! Wonder if he brought that Boresnake over with him or if his unit issued them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Too bad the 102 don't have their Toms. Bad, bad, bad...

Yeah it is horrible that they had to trade in their 30 year old aircraft for one that is dramatically more manueverable, tremendously more reliable, and has (limited) front aspect stealthy features.  They had to give up a missile/radar system designed for engagement well outside of likely (today) permissible ranges, some top end speed (not exceptionally useful in air-air when compared with maneuverability, and range (biggest tradeoff).

As far as the helo photo - you can tell that it isn't a Seahawk because of the Blackhawk/Knighthawk style tail wheel fully aft on the tail boom and the right side sliding door (difficult to discern in the photo).

The end of service week in boot camp is a great move on the USN's part.  If only we could figure out a way to get rid of folks having to do that stuff underway - waste of a trained sailor.  Maybe we can figure out how to contract that job to Brown and Root or Dyncorps while leveraging technology to fill the gap on damage control and firefighting.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
No shithead, however, you quoted me as the source.
Had you been 'on the ball' you would have said "The Navy Times misidentified the H-60" instead of placing my name in your quote.

THAT'S why I said "Take it to the Navy Times."

Ok, instead of being a bitch, you could have looked at that and realized I was merely referencing your post, but instead you wanted to jump down my throat. Again, it should be fairly obvious that you're not the photograph description author. Calm down and chill out, there is no animosity on my side...seems to be on yours.

Edited to say: I changed my first post to reflect what the true meaning was. Happy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top