Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 6:11:34 PM EDT
Has anyone experienced photos disappearing from a memory card, but the card still showing that there is space being used?  I was working on some photos from my husband's camera, put the SD card into my card reader, copied the few images I needed onto my computer, and then removed the card.  When he tried to do the same minutes later, nothing showed up on the computer.  He tried to view the photos on the camera, and it says that there are no photos available.  But when looking at the card on the computer, it says that it is about 75% full (which is how full it was with the photos). I tried a couple free photo recovery programs, and they were able to find a few of the photos that were on it, but mostly just a lot of photos that had been deleted (on purpose) a while ago from some of our past vacations.  I know for sure that we didn't accidentally delete the photos, and like I said, the card shows that the space is still being used.  Another thing I noticed is that when I first opened the card on my computer, it had two folders inside - one that had the photos and the other was "DCIM".  Now only the DCIM folder displays.  

The camera is a Kodak M863 and the SD card is a Kodak and is 256MB.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
When was the last time you formatted your card? I format mine every time after I move my images from my card to my computer. I've read that not doing so every once in a while can eventually lead to problems.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Has anyone experienced photos disappearing from a memory card, but the card still showing that there is space being used?  I was working on some photos from my husband's camera, put the SD card into my card reader, copied the few images I needed onto my computer, and then removed the card.  When he tried to do the same minutes later, nothing showed up on the computer.  He tried to view the photos on the camera, and it says that there are no photos available.  But when looking at the card on the computer, it says that it is about 75% full (which is how full it was with the photos). I tried a couple free photo recovery programs, and they were able to find a few of the photos that were on it, but mostly just a lot of photos that had been deleted (on purpose) a while ago from some of our past vacations.  I know for sure that we didn't accidentally delete the photos, and like I said, the card shows that the space is still being used.  Another thing I noticed is that when I first opened the card on my computer, it had two folders inside - one that had the photos and the other was "DCIM".  Now only the DCIM folder displays.  

The camera is a Kodak M863 and the SD card is a Kodak and is 256MB.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

You might want to be sure you dis-mount the card before removing it from the computer.  If not, and you modified it while it was in the computer (ex deleted files), you could scramble the directory.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The pictures are there, but you'll need some recovery software to get them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The pictures are there, but you'll need some recovery software to get them.

Any recommendations?  I tried a couple that I found for free online, and they only recovered about seven of approximately 60 photos, and also recovered some that had been deleted (intentionally) a while ago and had not been written over yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried Pandora Recovery yet?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had some luck with Rescue Pro.  Sandisk used to include a free copy with their cards, but I'm not sure if they still do that.  Might be worth a shot, but I'm not sure any rescue program is a sure thing.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have you tried Pandora Recovery yet?

Yes, Pandora Recovery was one of the ones I tried.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top