Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/21/2013 7:12:50 AM EST
So I have a best friend who i met when she was a foreign exchange student from Finland, at my highschool. I am planning a trip to Finland to go see her, but also to take some hopefully breath taking pictures. I am a Photography major at the University of Oklahoma, so I'm hoping to travel the world in hopes of capturing some of the best pictures I can. I was wondering if anyone has ever been to Finland, or is maybe even from Finland, and can tell me about some of the scenary, and maybe so key places to go for pictures. I will be flying into Helsinki, and staying in a small town about 3 hours North. Any information would be great!
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 7:53:04 PM EST
My wife was a foreign exchange student from Finland, and she is also from a small town about 400 kilometers north of Helsinki. We spent two weeks visiting Finland in 2007. It is an absolutely wonderful place for photographs...unbelievably beautiful. Tell me where you will be staying and maybe I can give you some pointers. Lots of landscape photography, as many of the buildings are over 500 years old. Helsinki is a mix of street photography and old buildings. Great experience.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:41:17 AM EST
You posted another thread, but since you're talking about TRAVELING, I'd put in this suggestion for a camera. DLSRs are great, but mirroless cameras are coming into their own.

I use an Olympus OM-D EM-5. I switched from a Canon 7D because I wanted something that was smaller and more manageable in that regard, but also shot good pictures. Well, the EM-5 accomplishes all of that. It's small and light compared to DSLR offerings, even some of the smaller ones. Lenses range from $100 consumer grade zooms to REALLY good primes. AND as a bonus, if you have or happen to find old manual lenses (from film SLR cameras), chances are there's an adapter for it and it will bolt right up. I have in my possession a couple of my dad's old Minolta lenses, and a couple Canon FD lenses I found on eBay. They all work great, even if focus can be slightly tricky.

Another reason I really like it is that the JPEG engine is PHENOMENAL. If you get it right in the camera, chances are better than good that the JPEG image will come out looking awesome. You can still shoot in raw, or raw + JPEG if you want to possibly do some post processing. I'll use JPEG mid for casual things like birthdays and stuff, JPEG fine for more serious stuff and raw + JPEG fine for things I may want to post process, or for HDR.

With Olympus rolling out the successor, the EM-1, you should probably be able to find used EM-5s for $700 or less. I'd recommend the battery grip as well. You'll probably be able to find people selling the body + battery grip in various places. I'd recommend the Micro 4/3 forum as a place to start.

Otherwise if you have the budget, I'd tell you to take a serious look at the OM-D EM-1 and the 12-40mm f/2.8 lens from Olympus.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:01:29 AM EST
I'll be staying at her house which is in Kurikka. I dont know anything else. I just know that thats the town ill be staying in! and thanks for the tips!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:05:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2013 6:06:15 AM EST by mancow]
I know two people with wives who were foreign exchange students from Finland.

Apparently they all stay here.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:50:04 AM EST
That's a very small sample from which to draw such a large conclusion.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:07:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 10:11:35 AM EST by kalju]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kerbstr:
I'll be staying at her house which is in Kurikka. I dont know anything else. I just know that thats the town ill be staying in! and thanks for the tips!
View Quote

Kurikka is located in the Ostrobotnia, which is practically the flattest part of Southern Finland so you might want to take a nice tele-zoom with ya. The place is somewhat rural, but beautiful in it's own way. Ostrobotnian Finns may seem a little shy or even "dim" at first but are generally good people. It has been rather cold this year so far so remember to take warm clothes.
Top Top