Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 8:46:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/15/2004 8:51:13 PM EST by Kaliburz]
How do you handle phone solicitors. I'm not talking about people selling thing, as the national do not call list is around for that.

I'm mainly talking about those organizations that call asking for money (charities). Do you say no and hang up quickly? Or do you say yes you will donate, but never follow through?

Poll coming....
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:48:13 PM EST
If I don't know you and you don't leave a message I can screen, then I don't pick up, period.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:48:31 PM EST
I use a countermeasure device that sends a charge back to the caller.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:50:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By Misery:
If I don't know you and you don't leave a message I can screen, then I don't pick up, period.

Well, sometimes I am expecting a call and those solicitors get lucky. Most of the time I let the machine pick up, as I'm too cheap to get caller id.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:55:05 PM EST
Scream crazy stuff, sometimes have them send me more info, depends on who it is.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:57:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By Kaliburz:

Well, sometimes I am expecting a call and those solicitors get lucky. Most of the time I let the machine pick up, as I'm too cheap to get caller id.

Tell them you can't make rational decisions and hang up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:57:18 PM EST
depending on the charity, i usually politely decline.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:29:02 AM EST
Used to say no thanks, don't call again. Now that I have Caller ID, if I don't recognize the number, I don't pick up the phone. 95% of the phone calls that I do recognize are for my wife anyways, so I rarely ever pick up the phone anymore.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:36:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:39:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By Paul:
A couple of years ago there was a national law passed where you could put your name on a no call list - works for me and I haven't got a call in two years since.

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:40:08 AM EST
Most of these "people" work on how many calls they can make in an hour/work day. If you simply ask them to hold on a second and put the phone down and don't come back it will mess up their calls/hour and pretty soon they'll not call you anymore because they know you won't listen to their bull and you'll mess up their calls/hour rate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:44:28 AM EST
I usually let them run through their little speel. Inevitably they will ask a question that they obviously think you are going to say yes to.
example: Sherriff's Dept. solicitor (long story, but it was for charity not the department)

runs through their speel about who they are what they do, etc. Then asks me if I like country music. "No."
Them, "Really? Not even, insert whatever popular musicians name here?"
Me:"None, I absolutely despise it and will intentionally go out of my way to avoid it where ever possible."

A few moments of silence. Obviously not the answer they were expecting.
Then they come back with "Buy a ticket anyway and we'll give it to some handicapped kid to go in your place"

Me: "I think you misunderstood me the first time so I'll rephrase. I despise country music and I refuse to do anything that even remotely promotes or benefits it or its so called artists. Next time you guys wish to collect money for this charity perhaps you should consider having a concert with a variety of music that will appeal to a broad range of people instead of pandering to only the "country" crowd."

Them: "Well, um...you could just buy a ticket and we'll send a poor child in your place so you don't have to listen to it."

At this point I start to get a little angry because it's obvious that they aren't listening. I give them a chance to do the right thing. Simply say thank you for your time and hang up. (something like that) Instead they keep pressing with the same BS like ignorant DUers, leaving me with no polite choice to get rid of them. So I have to just hang up on them.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:46:17 AM EST
I just mess w/ them.

Them: "If you can give me the number of square feet in your home, I can get you signed up for one of our carpet cleaning services."

Me: "I don't have a home..."

Them "Well your apartment then."

Me: "...sob I just lost my job and I can't pay the rent... sob..."

Them "... oh, I see... thank you."

*Click*

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:47:52 AM EST
Tell them to send you a letter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:52:29 AM EST
I Am A Rude A$$hole When The Scum Call me.I really Hate The Little Pukes .
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:53:01 AM EST
ask them to send a detailed breakdown of what percent actually gets to the peaceofficer, they just hangup. most are scams.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:55:02 AM EST
I like to talk to them in an accent you cant understand
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:55:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By KhanFire:
I just mess w/ them.

Them: "If you can give me the number of square feet in your home, I can get you signed up for one of our carpet cleaning services."

Me: "I don't have a home..."

Them "Well your apartment then."

Me: "...sob I just lost my job and I can't pay the rent... sob..."

Them "... oh, I see... thank you."

*Click*

This happened one night at dinner:

Them: "Sir, we see you just moved into a new home and as a welcoming gift to the neighbor hood and to introduce you to our service, we'd like to offer you a starter package of our delivered meats worth over $80 for free. This will include two ribeyes, 5 lbs of ground chuck, blah blah blah..."

Me: "I'm a vegetarian who follows a strict vegan diet. Your offer offends me."

Them: "Oh, sorry..."

*click*

Then I sat down to eat my steak.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:02:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By bigthicket:
ask them to send a detailed breakdown of what percent actually gets to the peaceofficer, they just hangup. most are scams.

That was actually sort of the point. The money wasn't FOR the sherriff's department.
The sherriff's department was collecting money to support some charity.

They'd have actually had a FAR better chance getting money out of me if it was FOR the officers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:07:40 AM EST
I start to tell them a story about something stupid "thank you Sir have a good night"
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:23:26 AM EST
I just say no, if it's something that I'm interested in I ask them to send me something in the mail.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:30:06 AM EST
Typical exchange for me...

Phone rings.....I answer..."Hello"

They begin speaking, soliciting me for whatever...

I say nothing, and hang up... CLICK!

When I answer the phone, my first task is to identify the caller....if it becomes immediately apparent that the caller doesnt know me...CLICK!

I dont yell, i dont say anything.....just CLICK
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:30:08 AM EST
The best one was this prank call where the guy was trying to sell some financial shit (e.g., investments). The telemarketers name was Rich, so the guy called him Bitch. That immediatley pissed the caller off, but he went on anyhow. The guy goes, "Well if it's so good then why are you trying to sell it to me? Shouldn't you be out making money Bitch?". It was classic.

Another one from Crank Yankers, the same guys just eats chips really loud and talks with his mouth full so you can't understand him. Really funny stuff.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:31:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 11:31:46 AM EST by I-M-A-WMD]
I stayed with my Grandmother for a while in HS. It amazed me how many dozens of calls a week she would receive from telemarketers.

They couldn't speak "engrish" to save their asses and my Grandma's last name was German... So they never pronounced it correctly when they asked for her.

I would just tell them, "I'm sorry she left a little bit ago to kill the last telemarketer who called... But if you can give me your address I'll call her on her cell phone so she can stop by and chat with you while she's out. Hello..... Hello?"

Sly
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:31:30 PM EST
I make them go all the way thru thier opening sales pitches.

When they say "Sir, are you there? Sir?"

I then tell em to put me on the No call list
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:33:18 PM EST
hang up
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:46:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By osprey21:

Originally Posted By Paul:
A couple of years ago there was a national law passed where you could put your name on a no call list - works for me and I haven't got a call in two years since.

+1

the do not call list does not apply to charities
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:09:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By billclo:
Now that I have Caller ID, if I don't recognize the number, I don't pick up the phone. 95% of the phone calls that I do recognize are for my wife anyways, so I rarely ever pick up the phone anymore.

+1

Sometimes when I pick up the phone for whatever reason I'll either just hang up, or set the phone down and walk away. Depends on my mood. I've been tempted to just started ranting and raving in tongues sometime though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:45:51 PM EST
I actually got a guy to cuss me out the other night. I don't think he was a telemarketer though...It's on Preban if ya want the story.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:36:40 PM EST
I put on a thick Chinese accent and speak broken English. After phone solicitor talk to me, I say "Me don't English. So sorry!". I put phone down and no more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:00:03 PM EST
Used to get a LOT of calls for some supposed police beneficial society. They claimed to support local law enforcement, so I started asking them to name the local police chief or sheriff. If they couldn't do it, I hung up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:32:33 PM EST
Other:
Ask to hold, get whistle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:34:56 PM EST
I tell them something really off the wall, like I'm playing a video game or something. They usually don't know how to respond to that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:03:22 AM EST

+1

If someone wants to call, they know my cell phone number. Or will IM to say that they're calling. Then will listen for the answering machine (which picks up on 1 ring).

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:04:45 AM EST
Hang up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:29:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By bigthicket:

+1

And I usually try to make them feel ashamed of scamming 80% of the profits from the "cause".
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:24:38 AM EST
I dont give money to charities or organizations unless I'm getting some advertising from them...

The schools who call get real nervous when I ask them if they have probs with a "gun manufacturer" being in their magazine/newsletter etc...

The GD MFing HAJIS calling from Punjab are the ones who piss me off the worst.

"NO RAJIV, I'M NOT INTERESTED!" -click-

Grrrr....

D.
AZEX
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:55:34 AM EST
Of course lately it's the NRA, NRC, and other gun groups calling up. "We've seen you were a strong past contributor, can we count on you to help us fend off efforts to re-enact the AWB?" Hell, no. I got the Congress AND the Whitehouse filled with guys on OUR side, what else can I do? Plus I got laid off in the process and nobody is doing squat about sending the jobs overseas so HELL NO. My money stays in my pocket from now on.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:01:46 AM EST
I prefer the emergency aerosol boat horn approach......."Yes wait a minute i'll go get him hold on.....WHAAAAAAAAAA!" it always does the trick!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:08:12 AM EST
Actually, I haven't had much of a problem with these dumbasses here of late..... the last one that did
call was touting about how his organizaition was some firefighter benefits group.

Me: "Really? Well, I'm a fireman myself, and I've never heard of your group. Why don't you send me
some info, and I'll tack it up on the bulletin board in the station. Or give me your number, and I can
put it out in an e-mail at the next meeting."

CLICK!

Yeah, that's what I thought!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:48:57 AM EST
Depending on what they're calling about, I'm usually short and to the point. "Don't call me." If they don't seem to get it, we have a longer talk about them calling back and how that would not be acceptable.

I'm less cordial with door to door soliciters. There is ample signage in my neighborhood that states that soliciting is prohibited.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:52:13 PM EST
bump....

The "end of the year" seems to bring out more of the phone solicitors (charities)..... been hit twice this month along...... both for "police and fire fighter " related.....

No bashing now, but some times, I just feel agrivated about them calling for money. I've thought about saying this:

I'm sorry, but I have a limited budget and I have already met my charitable contributions limit this year.

Lately, my limit has been $0.00... but I don't tell them that.

Currently, I'm an azz-hat, I say, sure.... but never follow through... make them spend the $$$ to send it out....
Top Top