Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/2/2015 3:25:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2015 3:27:22 PM EST by pcsutton]
I'm just gonna walk through this as simply as I can. Everything I use can be found in most oriental markets, and if you gots no market around, on Amazon.
OK...here's the short course.

First you rinse the beef leg bones then add them to your stock pot and cover with cold water. You can use oxtail, tendons, tripe and/or chuck roast also. Depends on what you want and can find.

Turn the heat on high and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer the bones for 15 minutes. Then dump the water

and rinse the bones well. This will remove most of the scum producing blood and fat. The idea is to have really clear stock.

Return the bones to the stock pot and cover with fresh water. Bring to boil, then reduce to a high simmer. The longer you cook them, the more flavor they will yield. This is the time to add any additional meat you want to use.

Grab an onion, cut it in half. Grab a foot of ginger and cut it in half lengthwise. Char them either on the burner or under the broiler. Add them to the stock.

I cheat and use this beef base to really kick the flavor intensity up a bunch. Great Pho has really pronounced flavors.

If I have it available, I add half of one of these Pho Base units to the stock. This stuff contains the traditional yellow rock sugar which is hard to come by locally. It also has 2 spice sachets which will do in a pinch if you don't have the whole spices.

I use a coffee grinder to grind Star Anise, Cardamom and cinnamon. The big ass tea ball in the picture works great to hold my spice blend and I just drop it into the pot to infuse the stock. About this time...if the way your kitchen smells doesn't give you a hard on...something is wrong with you.

I add a bit of fish sauce here, but I didn't get a photo. BE CAREFUL of how much fish sauce you use as it's potent and can fuck up your Pho! I use maybe 1 or 2 tbl per gallon of stock.

So, while your Pho stock is simmering for the next several hours, you can get your toppings ready. I chop cilantro, basil, and green onions. I cut up some limes and slice some jalapenos. Gotta have bean sprouts - and I bought a tenderloin for the meat. Brisket is the traditional beef used, but I like tenderloin.

Whatever beef you decide to use, it has to be sliced paper thin so that the hot stock will cook it.

The Rice noodles I use are packaged, par-cooked and just require about 30 seconds in boiling water to cook, but rice vermicelli can be found and require longer cooking.

Drain the noodles well and put them in the serving bowls.

Almost there! Ladle the boiling hot Pho stock over the noodles in the serving bowl and add the toppings.

This stuff is really easy to make and 'homemade' means you can adjust the flavors for your personal tastes.
I've eaten Pho all over the place....and I'll put mine up against anybody's.
I am the Pho-King!

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 8:06:49 PM EST
Nice job!! pcsutton's got it down, and I know because my wife is Vietnamese (born and raised there, a recent immigrant to the US) and that's almost EXACTLY how she makes it at home! The pho soup base that you used with the brown label is what a lot of Viet families use to make theirs too, and that brand of pho noodles is the best, I heard.

This is the best way to make pho that doesn't take too long. Her mom sometimes makes home made from scratch (as in nothing from a can/bottle) and that can take a couple days to prep lol, and this way tastes almost as good as my mom in law's without spending your whole weekend on it! Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:27:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By pcsutton:

I am the Pho-King!

View Quote

Yes, you are!

Looks awesome!
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:39:54 AM EST
My mouth. It's watering . . .
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:43:05 AM EST
Great thread OP. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:51:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/6/2015 11:52:41 AM EST by Vuong0916]
Good job! I eat pho once every couple weeks I'm asian the fish sauce with the crab is the best one
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:50:17 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Vuong0916:
Good job! I eat pho once every couple weeks I'm asian the fish sauce with the crab is the best one
View Quote

I hear the fish sauce with the little kid on the label is best and also because it's actually made from little kids.

(because Kim Jong IL said so)

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:12:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:

I hear the fish sauce with the little kid on the label is best and also because it's actually made from little kids.

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4e931831ecad049122000019-1200/do-not-forget-the-us-imperialist-wolves.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4e931831ecad049122000019-1200/do-not-forget-the-us-imperialist-wolves.jpg
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:00:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By forker:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By forker:

Top Top