User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/6/2002 1:21:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Taken from channel 10's (a local philly station) website:

A 10-year-old boy was grazed in the head by a bullet discharged while an off-duty police officer conducted an in-class demonstration Wednesday, police said.

PHILADELPHIA - The child, who was not identified, was believed to be in good condition, said Temple University Children's Hospital spokesman Andy Smith.

The incident occurred at 2:46 p.m. at the Imani Education Circle Charter School in the city's Oak Lane section, said Sgt. Roland Lee.

He said the officer involved, whom he would not name, was a woman who joined the department in 1996.

"I'm not sure what kind of demonstration it was," Lee said. Officers conducting programs in schools might carry a gun, but shouldn't pull it out, Lee said.

The telephone at the school was busy and administrators could not be reached for comment.

The charter school is run by a community board of directors.

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes...Female Cop. BANG!! Stop or I'll shoot!

From Philly TV 10 [CBS]

Student grazed by bullet during school

February 6, 2002

A 10-year-old boy was grazed in the head by a bullet discharged while an off-duty police officer conducted an in-class demonstration Wednesday, police said.

PHILADELPHIA - The child, who was not identified, was believed to be in good condition, said Temple University Children's Hospital spokesman Andy Smith.

The incident occurred at 2:46 p.m. at the Imani Education Circle Charter School in the city's Oak Lane section, said Sgt. Roland Lee.

He said the officer involved, whom he would not name, was a woman who joined the department in 1996.

"I'm not sure what kind of demonstration it was," Lee said. Officers conducting programs in schools might carry a gun, but shouldn't pull it out, Lee said.

The telephone at the school was busy and administrators could not be reached for comment.

The charter school is run by a community board of directors.

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Sighhhh......women and liberals. [;)]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Say, I understand McDonald's is hiring.  I do hope they let her keep something as a token of her days as a police officer...

Want Fries with that...?[IMG]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/aahmed/tongue.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Say, I understand McDonald's is hiring. I do hope they her keep something as a token of her days as a police officer...
View Quote

This woman shouldn't just be fired--she should be [b]prosecuted[/b]!
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Does this effectively end the controversy over women in the military? Or was that particular make and model gun inherently sexist? [;D]

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
The fucking sad part is she'll probably be punished with a PAID suspension !  Thats what always happens in Philly. You fuck up - you get a paid fucking vacation. Its a joke.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Now wait a cotton pickin minute here boys!!!!!
Does this mean that the MALE National Guardsman that shot himself in the ass "accidentally" is an equally valid reason to have only *women* in the military?
This lady cop is obviously a moron. The male Nat. Guard guy is a moron.
Quit making these damned sweeping gender accusations about women or I'll be forced to type in all UPPER CASE!
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought ALL cops were superhuman and had SPECIAL TRAINING with firearms and could NEVER accidentally discharge their weapons.  I mean, we're supposed to rely on THEM for protection, and it's DANGEROUS for a regular CIVILIAN to use a gun for defense, right?  That's what VPC wants me to believe!!!

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#12]
To the best of my knowledge the standard issue duty weapon for the Phila Police dept is the Glock 17.  I have seen some of the older officers with the old wheel gun, but it is rare.

Regards,
Gary  [:(!]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Standard issue sidearm is the Glock 17. Old timers had the option of continuing to use their 357's if they didn't want to switch.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not saying anything new when I make the observation that those who aren't good at firearms safety shouldn't be the ones to demonstrate it.

I'll bet nobody in that class is going to forget this lesson, though!  A point has most definitely been made!

Now to ask a question:   I keep seeing people's postings with various .gifs, animated and not, that aren't part of the standard complement of icons.    Where are they coming from?  How do I get a look at the full list, and how do I insert them in my postings?

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Aimless- logic would say you are correct, but with the strength of the damn FOP in this town I say she'll get a suspension WITH pay and that is it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now wait a cotton pickin minute here boys!!!!!
Does this mean that the MALE National Guardsman that shot himself in the ass "accidentally" is an equally valid reason to have only *women* in the military?
This lady cop is obviously a moron. The male Nat. Guard guy is a moron.
Quit making these damned sweeping gender accusations about women or I'll be forced to type in all UPPER CASE!
View Quote

With all due respects the male National Guardsman who shot himself in the ass, gets a reminder of his folly every time he sits down.      To pull out a G-17 in an elementary classroom and nearly blow a 10 year old students head off, is quite another story. She's probably being recruited by the local SWAT team as we speak....no disrespect to women, 'Joan  D'Arc' was a 16 year General that saved France...for what reason I don't know....love to see a video of that 'show and tell'
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#18]
But.....but.....it's the police. I thought, I mean...EVERYONE knows that they go through so much more training in firearms than ANY civilian.....I can't understand how this could happen. It's all a LIE, by the EVIL RIGHT WING CONSPIRACY!!!!!!

Quoted:
View Quote

Damn...first time I've seen that used as a THREAT!

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Say, I understand McDonald's is hiring. I do hope they her keep something as a token of her days as a police officer...
View Quote

This woman shouldn't just be fired--she should be [b]prosecuted[/b]!
View Quote

MALE / FEMALE .. it doesnt matter..  a child almost lost thier life over this  persons stupidity..
Sure.. go ahead and give them thier suspension with pay, But when they find it was her fault... at that point you say thank you for your service, clean out your locker and leave.
Would it be diffrent if this happened after chasing down a bad guy.. Yes.  Why, dont know just would be.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Since the kid is going to be okay, I'll go ahead and say it.

Bwaaaa-hahahahahaaa!!!!!!  [:P]

A cop should know better, but we all know that they are no better than civilians when it comes to handling firearms.  In some cases, they can be worse.  If she does get to keep her job, I am sure her co-workers will remind her of the incident on a daily basis.  [}:D]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#21]
For the record, I feel that this dumbass cop-ette should be prosecuted for criminal negligence resulting in injury to a minor.
Her blatant disregard of gun safety rules should land her in jail.
Stupidity knows no gender limits. But willful disregard of safe gun handling can cost a life.
Hang the bitch.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I just watched the story on the 11PM news. The cop took the magazine out of the gun and then passed it around to the kids ! They didn't make it clear if she took the round out of the chamber. The gun went off after she put the mag back into the gun and attempted to holster it. A child that was there said something about the cop dropping something and the gun going off when she attempted to pick it up but I couldn't understand what the kid said. The cop shot the floor and the bullet bounced up and grazed the child in the cheek. Kid got 5 stiches.

They showed the results of a poll on one local channel and 49% said that the cop should not be punished at all ! 32% said she should be suspended and only 19% said she should be fired.

I'm telling you people this idiot will not even lose her job.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#23]
[b]We should ban all Cops.....for the children![/b]

Ummmm...okay..forget that...I like my job.

medcop

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Hell, I bet Glock is in for another lawsuit--after all, everyone knows about it's "inherently unsafe" design, right?

Of course, this "inherently unsafe" design only goes BANG when the trigger is pulled--and not for any other reason.  But I'm sure it will be claimed the discharge was the gun's fault, and not the stupid cop's (no offense intended to the majority of cops out there that aren't stupid.)
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Note to self: Take finger off trigger before attempting to holster loaded firearm in a room full of kids.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#26]
She's prime police chief material, deputy chief at the least.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I need to get his for my next CCW class....

Note to class.
1. Take finger off trigger when putting weapon in holster.WTF
2. Why is finger on trigger at all in this position?
3.Cause the stupid PERSON was in the head during weapons saftey training.

Can you belive this weapon was passed around in a class room..... most likely with a chambered round!!! Scares the shit out of me!!!!
Hey Lady....does your glock have a magazine saftey??? NOT>>>>>
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#30]
First off, thank God the kid wasnt killed.

Wouldnt it be a kick in the ass to hear it was one of those extra special "safety" oriented Smith and Wessons?
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#31]
From the PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER:

CHILD WOUNDED BY OFFICER'S GUNSHOT IN SHOW-AND-TELL
By Barbara Boyer and Thomas J. Gibbons Jr.

Shortly after a Philadelphia policewoman passed around a loaded handgun among students during a show-and-tell at a Germantown charter school, the weapon accidentally discharged this afternoon, grazing a 10-year-old boy in the face.
The student, fourth-grader James Reeves, received five stitches at Temple University Children's Hospital and returned home tonight in good condition, while police and school officials continued their investigation into the incident at Imani Education Circle Charter School in Germantown.

The officer, Vanessa Carter-Morange, 39, a five-year veteran assigned to the Ninth Police District in Center City, was removed from street duty and is now the subject of an internal affairs investigation, police said.

Philadelphia police Capt. Edward Chiodetti said that about 3 p.m., the officer went to the school to pick up her son and was interacting with the students in the boy's classroom. Chiodetti said the children first wanted to see her badge, which she displayed, and then asked to see her weapon, a 9 mm Glock semiautomatic.

Officials said the officer removed the clip from the weapon and then passed it among the children. Although a clip, which contains the bullets, is removed, a round can remain in the chamber unless it is removed separately.

A girl who was among the 23 children in the classroom at the time of the incident, 9-year-old Aatiqah Johnson, said: "Everybody was passing it around."

The weapon eventually was returned to the officer, but as she handled it, she dropped it. When the officer picked it up from the floor, it went off.

The girl said there was a bang, and then she saw blood.

"She accidentally pulled the trigger," said Aatiqah, as she was leaving school holding hands with her mother, Melita Johnson.

Other students said they were told to return to their rooms after the incident as police descended on the campus on the 5600 block of Greene Street.

Chiodetti said that when the officer attempted to put the clip back into the gun, it discharged.

The bullet ricocheted off the floor and grazed Reeves' right cheek.

"The gun should not have been pulled out," Chiodetti added.

Imani Principal Francine Fulton said that the school encouraged parents to participate in such activities and that the school was aware of the demonstration. Fulton declined to discuss details of the discharge.

Throughout the afternoon, concerned parents arrived at the school to pick up their children. Many of the parents had heard of the incident from news reports or from friends, and already knew that their own children were fine.

Tim Williams, whose son Armani is in kindergarten, said he wanted to know more about what happened.

"I was relieved to find out that it was an off-duty officer and not another student," Williams said. Still, he was concerned about a gun being brought into a classroom. The entire incident, he said, "was too close for comfort."

Another parent who rushed to the school, Rhoshanna Morgan, picked up her first-grader, Nadirah, 6.
View Quote

(cont.)
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Morgan said that she learned of the discharge from relatives who work at the school and that said she hoped future show-and-tell programs would be safer.

"I just hope all the children would be safe," Morgan said.

The incident came five days after an off-duty school district police officer who was working as a part-time school-bus driver came under investigation when students from Imani and another charter school told their parents he threatened them with a handgun.

Police said that officer, who at the time was driving a school bus, stopped on the route after school to calm unruly children. The officer, whose name was not released, hollered at the kids to sit down and be quiet and made reference to his gun. He was not charged, but the matter remained under investigation.
View Quote

For those of you who missed it, let me repeat part of the article:

...Tim Williams, whose son Armani is in kindergarten, said he wanted to know more about what happened.

"I WAS RELIEVED TO FIND OUT THAT IT WAS AN OFF-DUTY OFFICER AND NOT ANOTHER STUDENT,"
View Quote

[b]WHAT???!!![/b]

This moron is actually relieved that this child was shot [b]by a cop?[/b]

As a 15-year veteran of law enforcement, I am appalled that there is even a question as to whether this fool is going to be fired.  At the very least, she should be charged with reckless endangerment.

If we in law enforcement ever hope to receive the trust of the public, we must have [b]zero[/b] tolerance for this kind of stupidity.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

...Tim Williams, whose son Armani is in kindergarten, said he wanted to know more about what happened.

"I WAS RELIEVED TO FIND OUT THAT IT WAS AN OFF-DUTY OFFICER AND NOT ANOTHER STUDENT,"
View Quote

[b]WHAT???!!![/b]

This moron is actually relieved that this child was shot [b]by a cop?[/b]

As a 15-year veteran of law enforcement, I am appalled that there is even a question as to whether this fool is going to be fired.  At the very least, she should be charged with reckless endangerment.

If we in law enforcement ever hope to receive the trust of the public, we must have [b]zero[/b] tolerance for this kind of stupidity.
View Quote

That's a noble thought, but apparently the public is willing to trust you regardless of what you do!
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#34]
One of the third-tier Philadelphia TV stations did a viewer poll as to what punishment the officer should face.

49% of the respondents said "No action should be taken"

This woman let a room full of small children play with a loaded gun and half of the moronic TV audience thinks that she should not be disciplined for that.

Philadelphia + Democrats = Braindead
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 3:47:00 AM EDT
[#35]
[sarcasm]
I'm waiting for the obligatory "I'm withholding judgement until I hear all the facts.  We don't know the officer's side of the story yet...."
[/sarcasm]

[:D]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:05:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Remember: that could have been your or my kid!

Thank God none of the kids who got to hold the pistol pressed the trigger. My Daughter use to watch me clean my guns after I went shooting. She new even the most basic rules of firearm safety since she was seven!

Tyler
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:28:28 AM EDT
[#37]
What do you want to bet that Ms. Carter-Morange will not only keep her job, but will receive taxpayer-funded counseling for the emotional distress resulting from this incident?

A few years ago in my city, a suspect being transported from the jail to the courthouse attacked and overpowered the female deputy who was supposed to be guarding him.  (He feigned illness to get in a wheelchair, so the deputy didn't bother to handcuff him.)  He stole the deputy's pistol, then used it to kill a motorist in a car-jacking.

The deputy lost her job, but she wasn't fired -- she was retired with FULL DISABILITY even though she hadn't been seriously injured.  Someone decided that the escape took such an emotional toll on her that she couldn't work anymore.

And, of course, the sheriff himself was re-elected in the next election... [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:29:07 AM EDT
[#38]
From the PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER:

CHILD WOUNDED BY OFFICER'S GUNSHOT IN SHOW-AND-TELL
By Barbara Boyer and Thomas J. Gibbons Jr.

Shortly after a Philadelphia policewoman passed around a loaded handgun the incident at [b]Imani Education Circle Charter School [\b] in Germantown.

The officer,[b] Vanessa Carter-Morange, [/b] now the subject of an internal affairs investigation, police said.
said the children first wanted to see her badge, which she displayed, and then asked to see her weapon, a 9 mm Glock semiautomatic.
9-year-old [b] Aatiqah [/b] Johnson, said: "Everybody was passing it around."

The weapon eventually was returned to the officer, but as she handled it, she dropped it. When the officer picked it up from the floor, it went off.

The girl said there was a bang, and then she saw blood.

"She accidentally pulled the trigger," said Aatiqah, as she was leaving school holding hands with her mother, [b]Melita[/b] Johnson.

Imani Principal [b]Francine Fulton[/b] said that the school encouraged parents to participate in such activities and that the school was aware of the demonstration. Fulton declined to discuss details of the discharge.

Tim Williams, whose son [b]Armani[/b] is in kindergarten, said he wanted to know more about what happened.

Another parent who rushed to the school, [b]Rhoshanna[/b] Morgan, picked up her first-grader, [b]Nadirah,[/b] 6.

Hmmm.. anyone else seeing the pattern here?
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:46:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, but I am going to let someone else point it out.[IMG]http://www.minorannoyance.net/~spin/Smilies/contrib/aahmed/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:55:54 AM EDT
[#40]
the weapon accidentally discharged this afternoon
View Quote

See, it was the evil gun's fault.

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, and now that we've gotten the idiotic racial insinuation out of the way, we can continue with a discussion of the [b]pertinent[/b] facts.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Turn it around, if ONE of those KIDS had been taught gun safety, they THEMSELVES would have checked to make sure the weapon was clear. [;)]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#43]
The answer here is to arm the kids at the next police 'show and tell'....least they'll have a fighting chance....arf
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, and now that we've gotten the idiotic racial insinuation out of the way, we can continue with a discussion of the [b]pertinent[/b] facts.
View Quote

Yeah, the aforementioned pattern really has nothing to do with the FUCKING STUPIDITY that would allow someone to do something like this.
[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Pattern?  What pattern?  I'm just wondering if one of the little kids put a bullet in the chamber and framed "a pig" so he could get a rush on his Crips initiation.  (sarcasm Mr Officers!)

Truly a stupid insinuation, especially since they are the kids.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#46]
(edited to avoid offending any puss...I mean PC folks)
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Of course, she'll probably get a paid suspension for a few weeks and then be allowed back.

Can you imagine what would happen if that was a private citizen with a CCW?
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I find it interesting that this incident was reported, but NOT the incident involving the 11 year old who saved his grandmas life by shooting and killing a man who was holding her with a box cutter to her throat.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#50]
This is from Friday's Friday's Philadelphia Inquirer:

Costello (the head of the FOP in philly) said that the officer made a mistake that may require more firearms training, but that it did not rise to the level that would warrant termination.

Direct quote from Costello :"If we're going to fire everyone for making a mistake, then we would only have 3 or 4 people employed in the city of Philadelphia"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top