Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2007 7:38:31 AM EDT
My wife is hot on this topic and wanted me to post this link to inform AMERICANS of rights infringements!!  Please contact your Congressman/women and Senator is you are against this issue.  This is going to the floor Monday April 30th.  While we sleep look at what our politicians are deciding for us.!!  LOL
www.infowars.com/articles/science/fda_attempt_regulate_herbs_and_juices_as_drugs.htm

SPREAD THIS LINK OUT! INFORM YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS!
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#1]
This is something they are working towards, make no mistake....
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Organic Consumer

While the OCA was initially very concerned about this alert, which we recieved from Mike Adams' News Target organization, after painstaking review of the FDA guidance document we have determined that the document does not call for any NEW regulatory or enforcement action, but merely clarifies existing ways that the FDA classifies (or "thinks") about different types of products used in alternative and complementary medicine. After some discussion with our colleagues in the natural health freedom movement, we have decided that this document is not of any real significance.

This is not to say that we are happy with the FDA. We are NOT. Due to political appointees from the pharmaceutical and agribusiness industries, they've been asleep at the wheel with GMO, synthetic food additive, and pharmaceutical safety testing. It is high time they subject these products to the same type of rigourous scrutiny they seem to have for natural health products. And should the FDA decide to further target natural, non-synthetic health products, we will hit back with all our might.

Though we disagree with Mr. Adams on this matter, we reprint his alert in the spirit of free and open discussion.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Considering that much of that market is run by charlatans who promise ridiculous benefits I could care less. Some of it is downright dangerous from what I've seen.

I would prefer that the Govt stayed out of most things, but alternative medicine and the likes is pure quackery way to often.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Any way to stockpile juice?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Gary Null has been saying this for years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Considering that much of that market is run by charlatans who promise ridiculous benefits I could care less. Some of it is downright dangerous from what I've seen.

I would prefer that the Govt stayed out of most things, but alternative medicine and the likes is pure quackery way to often.

+1

and this is coming from me  a guy that the health/medical industry has almost bankrupted the last couple of years
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
That article was so full of shit it was difficult to read more than a couple sentences at a time.  I know we have a lot of conspiracy theorists around these parts, but Damn!

Do you want to know why the FDA is taking a hard look at "natural" medicine?  They're doing so because it's dangerous.  I put natural in quotes because there is no such thing as "natural" or "herbal" medicine.  It's all just medicine.  That article makes Vioxx, which is a reasonably safe medication (NO medication is perfectly safe), sound like a deadly poison.  Do you really think the majority of the crap you buy at health stores would pass the same scrutiny?

The reason health supplements are such a problem is that you have no real assurance that what the label states is what you're actually consuming.  There are actually a few specific circumstances (I'm thinking of hereditary metabolic diseases) where physicians will actually use health store supplements in their treatment because the product cannot be obtained from pharmaceutical companies.  However, it's a risky venture because the purity and dosage of these products varies so much.

An additional problem lies in the patients' understanding of medicine.  The majority of patients I talk to don't consider the pills they take from the health store to be a medicine.  I have to specifically ask about herbs and supplements multiple times before they will volunteer the information because they don't consider them drugs.  Patients think they're safe because they're "natural."  Hell, the majority of drugs we use in medicine were once "natural" or were at least derived from natural compounds.  Very few drugs are actually fully synthetic.  As a good example, consider the drug digoxin used to treat heart failure.  It was discovered because the foxglove plant (containing digitoxin) was once used to treat heart disease.  It's only used sparingly today in part because the therapeutic window is so narrow.  If you give slightly too little, there is no therapeutic benefit and slightly too much kills the patient.  If physicians have trouble accurately titrating a pure drug, how well do you think an average person is going to do with that crap supplement companies put in a bottle.

I'm not saying that some or even any of the herbal supplements on the market are as dangerous as something like digoxin.  But, I am saying that it is very difficult for the average person to see any benefit from even a supplement with "proven" benefits because it's so hard to get the dosage right.

I guess I'm just tired of medical professionals having to go to such lengths to keep their patients from harming themselves with herbal medicine.  The dumb ass behind the counter at GNC isn't going to be the one to tell the young woman taking St. John's Wort for depression that her birth control pills are no longer effective.  The same dumb ass doesn't know anything about cytochrome p450 or liver metabolism or that certain foods and herbs can have serious side effects with prescription medications.

Do I like the government encroaching more an more into the practice of medicine? NO!  But I really hate this misconception that the trash being sold at health stores is any safer or more "natural" than the drugs that come from a pharmacy.  When I eat a food product or take a pill, I'd kind of like to know what's in it.

Rant off.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#9]
If this happens, there are simple herbals that will be suppressed in favor of more expensive chemical pharmceuticals.  Just because some of it is BS doesn't mean all of it is BS, and making things less accessible is hardly in the spirit of liberty.

At what point do we stop banning and restricting stuff?  How much control will finally be enough?  

Where on the timeline do we just outlaw anything that might in some way be dangerous or have an undesired effect?  I want to know when mountain climbing and flying small planes will be outlawed so I can prep for the revolution....  

As for stupid people not being aware of consequences, the onus is and should be on them, just like responsible use of a firearm.  Being an adult requires a modicum of thought.  Being stupid hurts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#10]
TulaneBME your reply makes me assume you are a doctor or pharm. rep?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

At what point do we stop banning and restricting stuff?  How much control will finally be enough?  

You know the answer to that one.  There IS no upward limit on control once the  bureaucracy reaches a critical mass.  EVERY facet of ones existence will be regulated, categorized, documented and you will be punished if edicts, regulations and laws are not obeyed.

Our Founding Fathers would be grabbing AR's and organizing open rebellion if they returned today.  Hell if there was a time warp and our people coming home from WWII were transported to today instead of 1945 they'd grab their M1's and BAR's and keep right on marching to Washington to destroy the enemies of freedom.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any way to stockpile juice?

Buy a juicer.

Have one. But were would i get the fruit?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top