Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 8:19:50 AM EDT
Going on a cruise to mexico very soon .One of the stops will be Peurto Vallarta. As we have never been there We would like to ask those that have been there what to do?We will have about 8 hours there.

Iknow we could join an excursion,but we prefer to look on our own. Surfing the web,we are interested in the Canopy tour or snorkeling. Is the canopy tour worth the money? How close are the beaches to the Cruise ships? Are the beaches free? is the water clean?

Anywhere to avoid??

Thanks much
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Anywhere to avoid??

Avoid getting off the ship.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anywhere to avoid??

Avoid getting off the ship.  

and so it begins.

I've never been to Mexico but I went snorkeling when I went to Jamaica and it was a lot of fun.  

Just watch your six and you'll be fine, Wash-Ar15.

I think the "Canopy" tour is where you go through the jungle on a zipline with pulleys.  Decide whether you want to be in an ocean on a flotation vest or in the jungle on a zipline.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Be very aware of the height of curbs in the old parts of Mexican cities.  We're used to curbs being like 6-8 inches difference between the sidewalk and street.  In the old city parts of Mexico, the curbs are like 1-1.5 feet high.  If you're looking out for cars when crossing the street, you're not looking down, and you're expecting the street to be a lot higher than it actually is and you stumble out on the street.  I never got used to that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Be very aware of the height of curbs in the old parts of Mexican cities.  We're used to curbs being like 6-8 inches difference between the sidewalk and street.  In the old city parts of Mexico, the curbs are like 1-1.5 feet high.  If you're looking out for cars when crossing the street, you're not looking down, and you're expecting the street to be a lot higher than it actually is and you stumble out on the street

Truth said here.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#5]
There are some really cool sculptures on the boardwalk along the beach.  The cruise ship will make port to the North, beaches are to the south.  Its quite a walk into the main part of town, you might want to grab a taxi.  There's a really cool little restaurant called the Pancake House, great breakfasts.  Its too bad you don't have more time.  There's a horseback tour that goes up to a waterfall, you've got to cross like 20 suspended bridges to get up there, its really cool.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#6]
You could check out the set tour from the movie "Predator."
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Is changing your travel plans an option at this point?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Puerta Vallerta is just fine.  Just beware that it is the San Francisco of Mexico.  Other than that it is pretty tame.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#9]
It really is an issue of what you guys want to do.

I would say I casual walk down and around the boardwalk, with a meal at Las Palomas, watching the inevitable sand sculptor, would be a perfect day in town.  Of course, I like to move SLOW on vacation.  Leave zip-lining through the jungle for the kids.

Beaches in Mexico are all free and open to the public - federal law.  This is not always well enforced - the larger resorts like to make their own rules.  Unless you look like the illegal immigrant type, you shouldn't be bothered, though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Puerta Vallerta is just fine.  Just beware that it is the San Francisco of Mexico.  Other than that it is pretty tame.

I think what the man is trying to say is, not that the town is one of the most significant harbor towns on the pacific and a cultural mecca - but that there's a LOT OF HOMOSEXUALS.

You won't notice it, though - it aint like the US where people go out of their way to "look" gay in public.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#11]
So the beaches are free. Great!! We may reserve the canopy stuff for another stop.

On a side note. People have told me that as soon as I get off the ship,I will be inundated with little kids selling stuff. Is this true.if it is,whta is the best method to squash them?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Bring bubble gum and crayons and throw them in the opposite direction, blade at 45 degrees and shout disengage at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So the beaches are free. Great!! We may reserve the canopy stuff for another stop.

On a side note. People have told me that as soon as I get off the ship,I will be inundated with little kids selling stuff. Is this true.if it is, what is the best method to squash them?

Get away from the Marina as soon as possible - they know when the cruise ships arrive.

The Marina is a nice place to hang out, but probably not when a cruise ship is in town.

Take a Taxi to downtown PV, enjoy your day together.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Two Words....DONKEY SHOW!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Avoid spending a dime there.

Fuck Mexico.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fuck Mexico.

Just what have the shop owners and restaurant owners in Puerto Vallarta done to piss you off so?

I doubt they are illegally immigrating to the states - quite the opposite, they are employing people.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bring bubble gum and crayons and throw them in the opposite direction, blade at 45 degrees and shout disengage at the same time.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROMPER EL CONTACTO!  ROMPER EL CONTACTO!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Mexico.

Just what have the shop owners and restaurant owners in Puerto Vallarta done to piss you off so?

I doubt they are illegally immigrating to the states - quite the opposite, they are employing people.

The poor exploited souls who work in the Communist Chinese sweat shops haven't done anything to piss me off either; but I'll avoid sending my money to that country whenever possible because it filters up far more than it does down.

The government of Mexico encourages illegal immigration to The United States as part of its official policy which states that its citizens have THE RIGHT to cross the border into our country without regard to our laws.

Mexico is also currently involved in an attempt to destroy our gun rights here in this country by claiming the influx of military weapons into their own country is somehow a result of our own 2nd Amendment rights.

So fuck Mexico.

By the way; I used to visit Mexico regularly and always though highly of the people I came into contact with; but unfortunately for them, I won't go there or spend money there anymore.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Get kidnapped????
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Mexico.

The poor exploited souls who work in the Communist Chinese sweat shops haven't done anything to piss me off either; but I'll avoid sending my money to that country whenever possible because it filters up far more than it does down.

The government of Mexico encourages illegal immigration to The United States as part of its official policy which states that its citizens have THE RIGHT to cross the border into our country without regard to our laws.

Mexico is also currently involved in an attempt to destroy our gun rights here in this country by claiming the influx of military weapons into their own country is somehow a result of our own 2nd Amendment rights.

So fuck Mexico.

By the way; I used to visit Mexico regularly and always though highly of the people I came into contact with; but unfortunately for them, I won't go there or spend money there anymore.

Our own government makes the same claims about the weapons.  Do you avoid spending money in the US?

Comparing sweat shops in a Communist country to privately run stores in a country where the federal government can barely maintain control is quite a stretch.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Mexico.

So fuck Mexico.

Our own government makes the same claims about the weapons.  Do you avoid spending money in the US?

Comparing sweat shops in a Communist country to privately run stores in a country where the federal government can barely maintain control is quite a stretch.

Not a stretch at all when you consider that in an oligarchy such as Mexico, or a Communist dictatorship like China; the money infused into the economy tends to flow uphill rather than filtering down.

What is, in fact, a stretch is comparing my reluctance to spend money in Mexico with a reluctance to contribute to the economy of the United States.

And while our own government makes the same claim about the weapons; the Mexican Government is providing our enemies within our own government the pretext for the assault on our constitutional rights.

I'm not looking for an argument and there's room for disagreement; but I do reserve the right to state my opinion on the matter.

Which is fuck Mexico.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Just take a ride in a taxi or two for a few hours. It's like a roller coaster of fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top