Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/5/2018 5:18:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:28:29 AM EDT
Putting phone numbers into my contact lists, or entering my name/passwords into password saver software BOTH make it harder for me to remember phone numbers and passwords.

Even though I practiced them by entering them.

I totally buy it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 12:03:13 AM EDT
I'm with OP. I take lots of photos to help free up brain space to remember other important things. Why remember a stupid product I'd like to buy someday or keep track of when I can let my phone remember it for me?

There are many things I wish I'd taken a photo of. I very rarely wish I hadn't taken a photo of something.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:14:46 AM EDT
I think it depends on the individual's age. Teens have enhanced mental capabilities to prepare them for adulthood, but those capabilities decline when they the mid-20s. After that it is downhill. To this date I don't know my cell number, but do know my old landline phone that we disconnected years ago.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:21:40 AM EDT
LOL.

Well of course i dont want to clutter my memory of some nonsensical data. My phone can do that for me.

0101011101010001110100011010101010001­01.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:08:53 AM EDT
Web browsers interfere with memory- there is no “reward” for the brain to expend the effort to “memorize”.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:36:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 5:12:57 PM EDT
From the study: smartphones and Snapchat.

I'm getting a pretty strong mental image, here.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 5:57:13 PM EDT
This is one of my more memorable rolls of film.

The visual details of that sunrise are easy to remember, right down to the wife and husband who took this photo being in that series of photos - even in a 20" enlargement, though, you'd never be able to pick them out from the boulders if I didn't tell you. I was, however, using a cable release - I guess if I was looking through the viewfinder, I'd remember the pain and discomfort trying to peer through the viewfinder of a camera attached to a 6" high tripod sitting atop some ragged boulders.

What isn't clear, though, is why I've got that big, white haul bag. You can't see it in the photo, but in the slides, you can see the tracks where I threw the haul bag down the mountain the day before. And, now, at least a day later, I've still got that thing on my back? Odd. But, we made so many trips ferrying loads, I suppose it's ok if that misery is forgotten.

Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:37:50 PM EDT
I believe it. I've stopped taking pictures or video for the most part at concerts because I noticed this.
Top Top