Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/14/2006 3:23:11 PM EDT
I have two cats, Ivan and Bob. My ladyfriend was getting on my ass today to take them in for a "checkup" as she feels all animals need to see the vet once a year to get things checked out.

Ivan and Bob are 99% indoor cats. Every so often I let them out on the back deck with me...but that's it...they don't roam off of it...and when I go in, they go in.

Therefore, I think it is entirely unnecessary to get them checked out. They are indoor kitties, what the hell do they need rabies shot or whatever each year?

What say you?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:30:53 PM EDT
Two comments:

1) They do not NEED shots for things like rabies (or other things) unless they come in contact with other animals. If they are 100% indoor cats, vaccinations are totally uneccessary.

Plus (as I have unfortunately discovered) a lot of cancer in cats is caused by vaccines. I now refuse to get my cats vaccinated - as recommended to me by vetinary oncology experts. Of course, state laws/rules often require such vaccinations, so you need to decide how to get around that.

2) As the cats get older, check-up are not a bad idea - if you want them to last as long as possible. Cats can develop a variety of problems. One of my wife's cats has developed a thyroid condition, which requires medication or she will waste away. Indoor cats sometimes get overweight, and can be a risk for diabetes.

Personally, when cats are young I don't really think you need to worry about dragging them to the vet for an annual checkup, but I did it anyway, just in case something came up. Once they get a little older 10+ years, I'd definitely get an annual checkup.

Just my opinion - it's not like I'm a vetinarian or anything.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:31:12 PM EDT
If they do, mine will be dead in 4 years, after he uses up his 9th life.
He has never been to the vet, other than when he had a cold.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:39:45 PM EDT
My wifes last cat lived to be 15. Never went to the vet unless it was obviously sick. Love the cats but I will not spend 2,000 on an operation fo an animal. If they dont fight each other and limited to the outside you should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:03:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 4:04:03 PM EDT by Zippy_The_Wonderdog]
That's exactly my train of thought. They're only about four years old. They're lean and mean...and we all regularly beat the crap out of each other. Aside from the occasional yacking up some dinner leftovers I leave out for a bit, they're as healthy as horses.

Didn't know about the vaccine and cancer correlation. That seals it. Da boys ain't gettin' no doctorin', Ladyfriend be damned.

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Two comments:

1) They do not NEED shots for things like rabies (or other things) unless they come in contact with other animals. If they are 100% indoor cats, vaccinations are totally uneccessary.

Plus (as I have unfortunately discovered) a lot of cancer in cats is caused by vaccines. I now refuse to get my cats vaccinated - as recommended to me by vetinary oncology experts. Of course, state laws/rules often require such vaccinations, so you need to decide how to get around that.

2) As the cats get older, check-up are not a bad idea - if you want them to last as long as possible. Cats can develop a variety of problems. One of my wife's cats has developed a thyroid condition, which requires medication or she will waste away. Indoor cats sometimes get overweight, and can be a risk for diabetes.

Personally, when cats are young I don't really think you need to worry about dragging them to the vet for an annual checkup, but I did it anyway, just in case something came up. Once they get a little older 10+ years, I'd definitely get an annual checkup.

Just my opinion - it's not like I'm a vetinarian or anything.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:04:31 PM EDT
Annual checkups?

I dont even get myself that
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:07:01 PM EDT
Needs teeth checked at least every 2-3 years. It is important.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:21:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 10mmFan:
Needs teeth checked at least every 2-3 years. It is important.

Although some vets try to talk you into "teeth cleaning" which cats may or may not need. I've had vets tell me that for years, but my cats have never had their teech cleaned - and lo and behold, after 12 years their teeth are still fine, with no problems, and no bad breath.

Although some cats may have worse teeth than others, and I suppose it might also depend on what they eat as well - so I suppose it might be necessary for some cats.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:38:34 PM EDT
No. Had a Siamese have a seizure from a distemper shot. Cat was strickly indoor. Cat lived to be 18 1/2 without shots.
Top Top