Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2004 12:00:29 PM EST
I've been using the same Streamlight Stinger for 13 years now, it's getting a bit old so replacement is near. I have a Streamlight 20X issued, but the thing is huge and I like my hands to be empty and don't like the thing swinging off my belt.

New technology has given us the High power LED's, and I'm thinking about getting one of those. The SF U2 could be a winner, but the asking price sucks.

What do you carry or recommend?
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:38:48 PM EST
The SureFire Nitrolon can be easily found for less than $30, and it is a pretty good light. They are cheap enough that they were my generic Christmas present to most everyone last year.

For about $20-30 more, you can get the G2 Nitrolon, which is more ergonomic (and it looks cooler) and about $10-15 for the handy little belt scabbard (which also works with the cheap Nitrolon). I replaced my issued Stinger with that exact setup a several months back, and have been very happy with it. One issue may be batteries. You will go through 1-2 (or more) sets a month. For me I can just get more issued, but if you are having to do this all out-of-pocket, it could get prohibitively expensive. I think that an LED replacement head is either available or in the pipe, but I think it costs about the same as the original light. The scabbard works great, but if you are carrying bezel up, make sure that your light is in very well. It is possibly for it to rotate a bit and hit the pressure switch, which you figure out a few minutes later when your armor develops a sufdden "hot spot." This is easily remedied by rotating the light in the scabbard a few degrees either way. That is the only problem I have experienced so far. For tactical stuff, they also fit great in a Blackhawk/SDS pistol magazine pouches with they talon flex (or whatever it is called) little gripper inserts, although only bezel-up works.

I still grab the SL when bailing out of the car, though. The SF is just a back-up (always carry more than one light). The big light is still brighter, and it is very hard to put it under your arm while scratching out a ticket, FO card or accident report (wait a minute; I'm a Sergeant now. What the hell am I doing writing reports?). I do use the G2 as a primary light for clearing buildings, as its small size and ergonomics are much more suited for that role. We will be fielding the X200 as a patrol light, whenever Safariland finally gets of their butts and starts making the holsters for our weapons (they are already several months overdue, and told me that they have no current plans last time I talked to them, which goes completely against what they told me last Spring).
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:40:23 PM EST
Rechargable Mag light for big jobs and a Surefire 6P on my duty belt.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:58:34 PM EST
Surefire 8X on my duty belt. Of course, we have the large maglite rechargables in our squads, but I rarely if ever if it. I also do carry on my duty belt an HK UTL for when I want a weaponlight.

When I backup K9 for track assitance, or I know I will need a light for a long time, I have a rechargable 1 million candlepower floodlight that has a burn time of 12 straight hours, it came with a shoulder strap and was only $11.00. I know it sounds odd, but I love it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:02:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/15/2004 5:04:09 PM EST by bvmjethead]
Surefire M2 and a G2 stay in my truck.

M3 stay's on the nightstand next to the Wilson CQB.

M 910 stays on the AR next to the nightstand.

I got my mom a 6P for Christmas, she loves it.

Getting an M6 Guardian as soon as I have the $$.

Got every one of them from C4iGrant on the EE.

www.gandrtactical.com
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:07:12 PM EST
I use the surefire with the lithium bateries(3V). It is compact, but the bulbs are $22.00 each, and I have to replace the batteries every three weeks at $15.00 a pair. I carry a four D cell mag light as a back up, and the mini mag flashlight. I also have one of those little red lights on my gun belt, and one of my key chain.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:12:53 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:14:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By twogun:
I use the surefire with the lithium bateries(3V). It is compact, but the bulbs are $22.00 each, and I have to replace the batteries every three weeks at $15.00 a pair. I carry a four D cell mag light as a back up, and the mini mag flashlight. I also have one of those little red lights on my gun belt, and one of my key chain.

I'll sell you replacement batteries for $10 a pair........shipped!

Dude you need to call Grant, he can sell you a box of a dozen Surefire batteries for less than $20 shipped to your door..........

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:23:25 PM EST
Mag-charger and Stinger XT rechargeables, backed up by 3V lithium Pelican M6 and Streamlite Scorpion. May seem like overkill, but I've always been queer for flashlights.

Energizer, Sanyo and other brand 3V lithium batteries are available at Botach Tactical http://botac.com/prodbycat.html for around a dollar apiece.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:58:59 PM EST
Surefire 6P with stike bezel on duty belt for backup light. Streamlight Ultra Stinger as my primary. And I keep a Surefire G2 in my gear back just in case.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 8:40:39 PM EST
Carry a SF 9AN on my belt and an E2 in my pocket.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:03:31 AM EST
4 D cell Mag Light, and a Streamlight Twin Task on my belt.
The Streamlight fits perfect in a ASP expandable baton holder.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:12:27 AM EST
2 rechargable Mag lights are in my vehicle and I have a Surefire on my duty belt. Mostly use the Mag lights due to their "heft" and ability to be used as a defensive weapon, batteries are too damn expensive for the Surefire.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:19:31 AM EST
Carry a Surefire 8NX commander on the belt along with a M3. Damn good light, but really not any better than the Stinger that it replaced. It has the tailcap switch for momentary, but you have to twist the head for constant on which sometimes requires some creativity if your hands are full. I did see where Streamlight came out with a rechargable lithium powered compact, smaller than the stinger. Might be worth a look. Compact, Lithium powered, and rechargable, good qualities.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:13:38 AM EST
I use the G2 Nitrolon primarly for my vehicle bomb search, self defense, and basic lighting. Its about the only thing I can legally carry in Saudi Arabia. Man I miss my guns.

I added the factory tether and keep it in my front pocket with the cord hanging out. Of course I went with the yellow to make it very non-threatening. The black and green ones are at home.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:47:50 AM EST
Stinger on belt and SX-20 in the door. When they break, I'll get the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:50:33 AM EST
Try one of the new Streamlight TL2-LED lights. I have had one for about a month, and so far I really like it. Much better battery life, and it still uses the Surefire beamfilter. No lamp to replace, either, and it has the pocket clip on the side.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:51:05 AM EST
Stinger XT on the belt.
SL20 in the companty car charger
Surefires on everything else.

I like surefires, but batteries can get expensive, and I ise the stinger more than anything else.

if you get a Stinger XT, you may need a new holster:
The XT is a bit wider than the original stingers.

Jay
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:55:46 AM EST
Surefire M3 on my duty belt, streamlight ultrastinger in the charger, surefire G2 with shock isolated bezel and clicker tailcap on the AR.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:02:30 AM EST
Not cop but I have a 6P on me full time. Also could be handy for a fist fight.

Gotta love active topics
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:29:12 AM EST
Maglight 2 C, because it's the smallest 'required' light by department standards. Streamlight Scorpion next to it in case I need a flashlight. Off duty and Plain clothes I use a Surefire G2. The Acorpion I bought while I was in the Academy on a whim will I was buying other uniform pieces. I prefer the G2s because of the ruggedness and price.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:26:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By AZCOP:

if you get a Stinger XT, you may need a new holster:
The XT is a bit wider than the original stingers.

Jay

On a related note, the polymer Stinger is also wider, and the XT is a bit longer due to the switch.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:40:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/16/2004 2:44:00 PM EST by Wave]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:43:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/16/2004 3:01:36 PM EST by Wave]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:56:13 PM EST
(had to grab my briefcase)

Surefire Z2 Combatlight in briefcase

Surefire E2E-HA Executive Elite in front seat of my pickup truck

These flashlights were expensive, but I got tired of buying Maglites and other Wal-Mart type crap and having it not work when I needed it. Surefire lights WILL work when you need them, and it's cheaper to buy a good light once than a crappy light ten times.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:54:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By AZ-K9:
I've been using the same Streamlight Stinger for 13 years now

Must be a reason you've carried it for that long, huh ? If it aint broke, dont fix it. Get another Stinger.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:58:54 PM EST
I use the Surefire 6P.....twogun, I just came from GT Distributor in Austin and they have 3V lithium battterys for $1.95 each...you can get them on there website
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:40:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By OneRobertFour:

Must be a reason you've carried it for that long, huh ? If it aint broke, dont fix it. Get another Stinger.

Yeah, maybe rebuild the one I have eh? New lens, battery, etc......
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:59:47 AM EST
mag charger in street uniform, stinger XT HP in bike uniform....
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:53:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By OneRobertFour:

Yeah, maybe rebuild the one I have eh? New lens, battery, etc......

Actually, their customer service is pretty good.

They issue the SL-20 at work, but I have had one of the SL-20X plastic ones for years, and prefer it because of its light weight (and the fact that we aren't supposed to hit anyone with flashlights, so I might as well take that one off the table).

I drover off with it on the hood of my spook ride one too many times, and one of my fellow surveillance folks ran it over to boot. It was thrashed. I tossed it in the box of broken SLs in supply and asked our supply tech to take it in the next time she went by the dealer and see if they could fix it.

Fast forward a couple of months, when I was back in uniform, and the light came back. Streamlight had fixed the light by seesentially replacing everything except the tailcap; everything else was a new component-had to engrave all my info on it again. I was suprised because it was a pretty old, ragged light, and I didn't expect them to do anything to fix it.

Send it in, you never know.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:52:48 AM EST
Rechargable Mag and stinger on the belt.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:40:42 AM EST
Polystinger on my belt, Ultrastinger, Streamlight SL35X. Streamlight Scorpion in my bag for backup. I work nights all the time so I make sure I have enough lights.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:42:44 AM EST
Scorpion
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:03:56 AM EST
Streamlight TL-3 for now since it has a clip, but will probably get the Strion since it's rechargeable and super light. Any weight I can shave off that heavy rig the better. Also keep a Surefire 9AN (backup in bag) and Streamlight 20XP/LED (in car).
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:50:07 AM EST
Rechargeable Mag light in my car which always goes where I go and a 6P with LED head on my belt.

The LED is nice since it's easy on batteries but it can't reach as far as the Mag light.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:05:01 PM EST
I carry a SureFire rechargable 9AN main duty light and a SureFire G2 nitrolon as a backup light. I also keep with me in my equipment bag my dept. issued Streamlight Sl20.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:17:51 PM EST
X200a with a handy metal handle......

MT
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:29:26 PM EST
L1 lumamax stays clipped to my pocket every day. It puts out just the right amount of light for daily use.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:06:34 AM EST

I've been using the same Streamlight Stinger for 13 years now, it's getting a bit old so replacement is near. ..............

Mail it back to Streamlight. They will referb it for free. They just did mine and it works great. They even put a different grip on it which is MUCH better than the original. Great company.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:02:40 PM EST
6P (circa 1993)
A2 Aviator
and a rechargable Mag
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:03:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By bvmjethead:

Originally Posted By twogun:

I'll sell you replacement batteries for $10 a pair........shipped!

Dude you need to call Grant, he can sell you a box of a dozen Surefire batteries for less than $20 shipped to your door..........

You can get them for less off the Surefire website.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:23:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:16:16 AM EST
Streamlight Stinger on the belt, and POV. Surefire G2s at home. Would like to switch the belt to a G2 since I can get them for $25 and I like it better.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:57:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/24/2004 10:02:44 AM EST by OKLA-LAWMAN]
I have had my stingers that long too. Last year I again replaced the batteries, put a new switch cover on one and then put the high power head on both. Small size, 40,000 candelpower, dont have to replace batteries often, personally I would update my old one. Also they are cheaper to buy parts for. For police nightly use you cant beat them. I carry one on my belt and the second in the charger in my car along with a extra battery (for those really long nights). If I were a dayshifter and did not use my light a lot I would probably carry a streamlight tl3 or pelican m6. I have the tl3 mounted to my ar and love it. The m6 is also a good light I keep one in my personal car. The M6 led would be an excellent light for someone who doesnt use it alot. Plenty of light and I get about 40 hours out of a pair of 123 batteries

of course if money is no object you can always you could always get the surefire 10x dominator.
$500 dollars for the light. About $80 for and extra battery, almost $50 more for the 2 replacement
bulbs, But you would have a 500 lumen scorcher that would surely make you the baddest light at the squadroom table.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:51:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By Outlaw_6:

I've been using the same Streamlight Stinger for 13 years now, it's getting a bit old so replacement is near. ..............

Mail it back to Streamlight. They will referb it for free. They just did mine and it works great. They even put a different grip on it which is MUCH better than the original. Great company.

There ya go ! ! ! !
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:28:45 AM EST
Mag Light rechargable in the car (charger sux/ Dept issue), Stinger on the belt, Streamlight M6 on Glock 23, Surefire M951SU06 on AR-15, Inova X5 /w Traffic wand in the car for traffic direction, Inova 24/7 for traffic stops on the "I" at night.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:56:41 PM EST
Stinger XT here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:11:31 PM EST
Sure fire P6 on my raid belt and a Yellow G2 Nitrolon in my evidence kit (Yellow so I don't leave it at search warrant or crime scene!).
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:26:42 PM EST
Stinger on the belt and i keep a surefire 6P handy if needed. 6P in the nightstand ( but don't tell the boogy man ;)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:13:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/7/2004 5:14:16 PM EST by dep4532]
Issued a Stinger XT, but leave it in the console. Carry a Surefire 8NX Commander on my belt. Rechargeable Mag hooked up in the car.

ETA-Surefire 6P for off duty.
Top Top