Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/26/2006 1:14:41 PM EST
What if any special steps need to be taken?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:08:43 AM EST
For the morning crew...

Anyone?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:17:27 AM EST
As long as they are not, to the best of your knowledge, restricted from owning firearms, then no problem. It is advisable to have them sign a bill of sell with a statement that they are legally allowed to purchase firearms. This is just C.Y.A. for your records.

556mm
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:28:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By 556mm:
As long as they are not, to the best of your knowledge, restricted from owning firearms, then no problem. It is advisable to have them sign a bill of sell with a statement that they are legally allowed to purchase firearms. This is just C.Y.A. for your records.
556mm

I hear you loud and clear on the CYA aspect of the deal. Thanks for the advice.

But just to be clear... Let's assume that the recipient is without any doubt not restricted from owning / purchasing a firearm (ie. legally permitted). Is there any paperwork that is ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED? Could I legally simply hand over the firearm to that person as a gift or even as a sale and not have any paperwork to document it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:59:21 AM EST
Negative. Private transfers do not require any paperwork.

556mm
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:20:53 PM EST
They give you money, you give them the gun. That is all that is required.

However, I would write up a bill of sale, with the description of the gun, serial number, etc., with both the buyer's and seller's information, signature, and give a copy to the buyer and keep one for myself.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:26:04 PM EST
you definitely want the paperwork, it saves you from any future liability.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:04:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 8:05:12 AM EST by Gmountain]
Even the money part is not required.

You don't need any paperwork at all. I wouldn't worry about it. Don't forget, people give guns as gifts all the time, and that's perfectly okay.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:57:06 AM EST
I sold a Ruger 9mm about a year and a half ago, recently a deputy showed up asking about said gun because I had bought it new and did the paperwork. Apparently it was used in a crime about 3 counties away. Luckily I had made out a bill of sale and made the guy sign it and even got his DL. no. The deputy ran the DL. that I had and it came back no good even though I had personally written it down from the driver license he gave me. I was covered anyway because I did more than was required. Haven't heard anymore about it.
Top Top