Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 7:56:59 AM EDT
Blow up a refinery or two in Houston and the US would be in lockdown.  I think if they were going to strike anywhere in the US now is their time, now's their perfect opportunity.  With all the attention focused on the hurricane and all the rescue efforts headed their way the rest of the US is extremely vulnerable.  I think a big attack or series of smaller attacks could turn whole cities inside out and shut down the economy pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Shhhhhh.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#2]

I was pondering that very topic a few hours ago while watching the meltdown in NO...  Lets pray it doesn't happen...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Driving in to work this morning, I had the same thoughts.  Nothing AQ could do would match the devastation Katrina brought, and what better time than now to kick us while we're down.  Wouldn't be surprised if something happened within a day or two.....but you never know.

HH
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#4]
They'd better not.

-Storm
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Shhhhhh.

+1
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Shhhhhh.

+2
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Driving in to work this morning, I had the same thoughts.  Nothing AQ could do would match the devastation Katrina brought, and what better time than now to kick us while we're down.  Wouldn't be surprised if something happened within a day or two.....but you never know.

HH

Have to disagree with you on that,I think just as we will hopefully learn lessons from this,the islamofacists will as well.Imagine what would happen if the terrorists blew up a dam up river from a large city and the citizens had little or no warning
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shhhhhh.

+2

+3
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#9]
And after the Terrorists do their thing, that Chinese Genneral steps up to the plate with his nukes?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I think it's just a matter of time now.  One or two attacks on a pipeline/gas station/refinery and we're going to be shut down.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
And after the Terrorists do their thing, that Chinese Genneral steps up to the plate with his nukes?

Nah. They know we'd just launch right back. They'll use our weakness as an opportunity to grab Taiwan and any other nice pieces of real estate they've had their eyes on for a while.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#14]
We could have already been attacked, or currently be under attack, and not even know it.  With the shitty conditions down there, it would be hard to sort that stuff out right now.  Imagine what would happen if they dumped something into the flood water.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I have to admit that a terrorist attack directed at one of the refinereries in Houston right about now would be the straw that broke the economies back.

The attack would not even have to do that much real damage. All that would be nessecary, would be news images of smoke rising over a refinery...and the oil futures market panic would do the rest.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#16]
We have a bad anniversary coming up very shortly...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We have a bad anniversary coming up very shortly...

It worries me that Sep 11 is opening day for the NFL.  Target rich for the ROPers.

I might add, If AlQ cannot take advantage of us now, I think it is safe to say the GWB led war on terror has been pretty darn successful.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#18]
After just leaving a refinery/chemical complex in LA (not the NO area but west) I have to say its a very critical thing to look at.  Security there is good but like all security, it can be a whole lot better.  

On top of that the pipelines and related services are also somewhat vunerable.  I'm sure anyone who has looked into this is aware of it.  really wouldn't take a big hit to cause a problem; only the public's perception that there was a major problem in the system on top of this hurricane mess.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#19]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=385343
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top