Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/17/2002 9:15:55 AM EDT
In honor of TheRedGoat's hog hunting threads, let's build the perfect hog rifle. I would like a Springfield Armory M1A Scout with camo fiberglass stock and an Aimpoint CompML2 and a tac-sling. Semi auto for fast followup shots. 7.62 for adequate knockdown power. 20 round mags just in case you're attacked by a hoard of viscious, rabid, 250lb Russian boars. So, what would you like to have?
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:28:45 AM EDT
An AR with 60 grain Nosler Partitions should work fur piggies.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:33:29 AM EDT
[50]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:34:01 AM EDT
Never hunted hogs before, but If I did I would want to take along a Marlin 444 or 45-70. Or would they tear up the meat badly?
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:41:13 AM EDT
Cypher: Sounds like you have picked a winner. I like to use my 700 pss in .308, but it gets heavy during stalking and cross country hog chases that I like to get into. The .223 is ok as well, but I prefer the scope for precision knock-down. Makes clean-up a lot easier too. Nothing worse than a gut shot. White Horse
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:43:13 AM EDT
If Red Goat has given an accurate description of these oversized varmints then I'd choose a GE mini gun or perhaps a Daisy Cutter.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 10:01:56 AM EDT
Marlin 30-30 with scope
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 10:27:57 AM EDT
ArmaLite AR-10 'T' Carbine in .308 with an ACOG TA-11C, donut reticle. (168gr HPBT)
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 10:32:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2002 10:34:30 AM EDT by FALARAK]
For the gun, an AR-10 A4 carbine. [url]http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/ar10a4_cabine.htm[/url] 7.62 soft point hunting ammo for the most knockdown with the least meat destruction. HPBT's are not reccomended, since they are designed for accuracy, and not expansion. Flat top for more optic options, 20 round mag capacity should be plenty, still, only 9 pounds bare rifle weight, which is fieldable. If it's truly a lot of close range on-the-run shots, then the Aimpoint will be very handy. However, I cannot help but think a 3x-4x Acog with a dot based reticle and BAC would allow for this type of shot, as well as more precision shots at a long range. My vote is for either the Trijicon TA11E (or 11C) [url]http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=150[/url] or the Elcan for .308 [url]http://www.elcan.com/PandSDefRIFLEOPTICAL.htm[/url] The perfect hog gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 10:44:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FALARAK: For the gun, an AR-10 A4 carbine. [url]http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/ar10a4_cabine.htm[/url] 7.62 soft point hunting ammo for the most knockdown with the least meat destruction. HPBT's are not reccomended, since they are designed for accuracy, and not expansion. Flat top for more optic options, 20 round mag capacity should be plenty, still, only 9 pounds bare rifle weight, which is fieldable. If it's truly a lot of close range on-the-run shots, then the Aimpoint will be very handy. However, I cannot help but think a 3x-4x Acog with a dot based reticle and BAC would allow for this type of shot, as well as more precision shots at a long range. My vote is for either the Trijicon TA11E (or 11C) [url]http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=150[/url] or the Elcan for .308 [url]http://www.elcan.com/PandSDefRIFLEOPTICAL.htm[/url] The perfect hog gun.
View Quote
HPBT's are all Ive got and I ain't buying anymore just yet. Therefore, the perfect hog bullet. (The TA11C is specifically for the .308.)
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 11:08:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 11:59:28 AM EDT
Shortened FN-FAL or M1A Scout. I'd probably go for the FAL. Kharn
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:26:27 PM EDT
I want to go on a Hog hunt bad. I just cant seem to find the time or someone willing to go that I know. IF I were going its the Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 that would be by my side. A quick pointing lever action seems to be the preferred choice of what I have read and the 45-70 seems to be the upper end of the preferred range of caliber as well. Having never owned one or gone on a hog hunt that wont even get you a cup 'o coffee.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:35:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Steamy_Windows: Never hunted hogs before, but If I did I would want to take along a Marlin 444 or 45-70. Or would they tear up the meat badly?
View Quote
With out a doubt, I laid down many with the 444 Marlin. It was in 1965 and 66, and it kept them off our claves.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:36:43 PM EDT
My hog hunt got cancelled! Damn guy had to finish re-carpeting his house...stupid wives... It's gonna be 3 weeks or more before we can go back out there again...damn life sucks! [pissed]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:48:35 PM EDT
Cypher, your hog hunting combo is exactly what I use, except using an older Bush Rifle with a Scout mount attatched. Works like a charm, feeds soft points just fine but it does lead up the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:58:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CockedandLocked: Ruger 44 mag semi-auto carbine
View Quote
Yup, this is the best rifle for the piggers. It is short, light, and the perfect brush gun. A bolt action or a 223 are HORRIBLE choices! The bolt is too slow and not easy enough, while the 223 is just WAY underpowered for an animal that can take out your legs. The 44mag is a great cal for brush (pig country) and the follow up shot capability of the semi action keeps you thinking about the next shot, rather than getting to the next shot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 4:51:13 PM EDT
we hunt them with .22s in arkansas. and yes, i am very serious.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 4:59:43 PM EDT
Marlin 1894P .44 magnum
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:16:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mattsd: we hunt them with .22s in arkansas. and yes, i am very serious.
View Quote
Sounds like a future Darwin Award winner in the making. How about you conduct a test of the effectiveness of a 22CB against a razorback? Have your decedents post the results of the test here! [;)]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:22:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:22:35 PM EDT
5subslr5 is bringing the same thing I am. "When you care to send the very best.........."
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:23:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2002 5:27:47 PM EDT by mrassII]
Everyone has an opp. , but If it was I. It would be a 30.06. 90 Years of technology and developement cant be wrong. Now dont get me wrong. I love all my guns and I have quite a few of them. Trying to cover all the calibors, but as I said 30.06 if I had to choose. Why might you ask. Because I can hunt anything from varments to bear. You can find more bullet selection for the 30.06 than any other. Next I would want it in a good strong bolt action. Rem 700, Ruger 77 w/tang safety or Win 70. I choose the Win 70 ss because it sat on the shelf to long and we didnt have much in it. I think it was marked 350.00 w/scope. People are very dumb about guns. Anyways,a set of rings, and please no weaver crap. Lets say a pair of burris Sig ser w/pos aline. Mount a good scope like the Simmons 3.9X10X44 Aetec, thats plenty of scope for the job in hand. Now if you are a good shot you are good out to 500 yards. You can shoot farther but a lot of things go wrong fast after 500 yards. Now all you need is a good sling, Butler Creek has a neoprean safari w/4 round carry. GOD I cant wait till hunting season, but until I guess paintball will have to do.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 3:47:37 AM EDT
Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. I'm going hog hunting again this weekend in Tenn. I'll let you know how it works. Merlin
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 5:15:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Minman72:
Originally Posted By mattsd: we hunt them with .22s in arkansas. and yes, i am very serious.
View Quote
Sounds like a future Darwin Award winner in the making. How about you conduct a test of the effectiveness of a 22CB against a razorback? Have your decedents post the results of the test here! [;)]
View Quote
my dad and his friends have hunted hogs with 10/22s for years. in arkansas, hog hunting had to be done during another season, and you had to fallow all rules for that season. it was too big of a pain to go during deer season, so they would go in squirel season. they have got some HUGE 300+ boars. now thier is a hog season, with centerfire rifles.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 6:11:19 AM EDT
I use a Remington 742 .30-06 with a barrel cut down to 17". I have several Triple K metal 10 round magazine that feed flawlessly. It is a light and very compact Bore Gun that definitely has the firepower for punching holes in piggies.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 6:22:34 AM EDT
Ok here is my list of what I have used and what has been the result. .22-250 Nailed one behind the ear at 140yrds. dropped so fast I thought I had missed. Shot a similar hog at 70 yrds about 1 year later. Hog ran off. 55 grain hollow point each time. First drilled right through the spine, second who knows? I don't carry the .22-250 anymore. Savage 112HB Harris bipod, 5X20 Mag IV scope. Too heavy. .270 Savage. Traditional wood stock. I took a nice boar in the brush in the Fall. It was a shot I would not have taken without the power of the .270 backing me up. Gut shot hog, followed up with a throat shot. Typical deer rifle but the wood stock takes too much abuse from briars, limbs and creek water/mud. Not very fast on the follow up shot either. .223 DR200 Daewoo. This was my first 'hog gun.' Tasco 3x9 scope, nailed my first hog with it. Right between the eyes at 40 yards. However the 20 inch barrel, overall weight made me look for a lighter option. .40 S&W Sigma. I take this gun everytime I hunt hogs. It is easy to pack on my hip, great for a backup gun, and sometime I use it as my primary weapon on night hunts. Keep in mind ALOT of hog hunting does not require a rifle. Most of the time we catch them by using a pack of dogs to surround them then wade in bare handed and tied them up. Think Hands Free. Even having a cross-chest slung AR gets in the way. Nighttime, leave the rifle/carbine switch to a pistol. Gonna be close if you need to shoot anyways. Daytime I am falling in love with the .223, reddot sight, lightweight, low recoil, 30 round magazines. After 3 years of hog hunting I consider myself pretty well educated on what works. Nighttime -- Pistol and rope only. Daytime -- AR15 (ok .308 would be nice, but I don't have one) Go for a carbine, expect it to get scratched on briars, fence wire, etc. Don't buy anything you don't want to look like it went to war. Mud, blood, water, doghair will all be in ample supply. Oh yeah, shotgunners, forget about it. There is no place for a shotgun on a hog hunt. I hear people say they would use 00 buck. Stupid idea. If the hog is surrounded by a pack of fighting dogs, and dogs are getting hit by a large boar, you don't have any business firing a shotgun into the melee. You range is going to be less than that of a pistol (.32 caliber pellets right?) and not as effective as a rifle. As for the .22 in Arkansas, I believe it. I dressed out a sow a few months back that had been shot in the hip by a .22 weeks before we caught her. Nasty wound. We boiled her for the dogs. Brush is pretty much a pain in rear as well. Anything you are going to carry, carry it cross chest slung. Over the shoulder and you are constantly getting hung up in the thickets. Reddot sight .223 or .308 semi-auto carbine cross chest slung 30-40 round magazine We have walked over 12 miles at night looking for boars, chasing hogs. Lightweight is a must Scope is a waste of time since the hogs will very very seldom be standing still. By the time that are not running, they will be surrounded by dogs and you will be only a few feet away. No need for sniper quality optics at that point. .40 or better pistol for backup/nighttime primary weapon This last week has been unussually productive for us. Our typical hunts mean long treks through boggy creek bottoms. Very little opportunity for long range shooting TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 1:42:12 PM EDT
All the above sounds good, and probably is, however, our hogs were in a swampy area, and was on the claves in short order. They would even charge the horse. The 444 Marlin would knock down the old boy and give us a second shot. We tried 30-30, 35 Marlins, 06's, we settled on the 444, and our problem was solved. But of course a GE Mini will work!
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 1:47:14 PM EDT
Winchester 94 .30-30 with 175 grain Nosler Partitions. I've never hunted hogs (sounds fun as hell though), but what by what I've seen its done mostly in brushland/woods. The 94 is perfect.
Top Top