Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 6/14/2022 6:21:14 PM EDT
The railroad union coalition comprised of all unions representing all crafts of class 1 railroads were released from mediation today to start the 90 day process for a lock out or strike.  We have been in negotiations since 2020... the carriers will not come close to meeting what we want.  They offered a 14% raise over a 5 year period starting in 2020.  We are asking for 40% over a 5 year period starting 2020 (Maintenance of Way that is... TYE and other crafts are asking for similar wage increases).

Get ready guys.. if there is a strike it probably wont last long.. a day or two.  But if it goes longer than a week this economy is fucked.

https://www.railwayage.com/regulatory/nmb-starts-clock-toward-rail-shutdown/
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Go unions!!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go unions!!!

View Quote

Wages have lagged inflation and productivity for decades. If the railroads won't fix that, it's their funeral. Skilled labor is in heavy, heavy demand elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
okay. I come from a railroad family, every one has worked on the railroad since my great grandfather including me and 5 of my 7 brothers.
Cripple this shitshow, I want to watch the world burn
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go unions!!!

View Quote

Yeah I am not a huge fan of unions... but the unions in the railroad are straight up fucking retarded with no back bone.  I bet our union will roll over and take it at the PEB if they offer 1 sick day a year and 14% raise over 5 years because it was "more than what the carriers offered"

Yeah 9 years with this job ... I only get 10 days of vacation and no sick days.  Then go 2-4 years without a raise.  On top of that I am on the road 80% of my life.  All for 29.85 an hour lol.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Gov will let it last about two days (max).
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Federal intervention will not allow a strike to occur. If it goes that far.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

RLA is the federal intervention.  After 90 days by law we are able to strike if either parties disagree with what the government suggests.

Yeah there are some by laws I am sure the government can come up with.. but believe me a strike is very possible but likely will only last a day or two because the president will just create an emergency executive order
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm just amazed that the railroads are even still in business.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah 9 years with this job ... I only get 10 days of vacation and no sick days.  Then go 2-4 years without a raise.  On top of that I am on the road 80% of my life.  All for 29.85 an hour lol.
View Quote

That is utter crap.

Didn’t they just try to strike over a new (terrible) vacation policy not long ago and couldn’t? Union Pacific maybe? Forget…
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The government that has declared war on Americans?  That one?  Don't bet the farm on that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Atlas Shrugged wasn't prophecy, but she had the players in the destruction nailed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm down, but it won't last a day.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Lol will never happen, Biden will overrule any strike in any scenerio where the unions don't just roll over on their members like they always do. Unions will probably bargain for less that the railroad offering when that happens too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Who cares….. Just more fear mongering to keep the uneasiness cycle alive and well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah I am not a huge fan of unions... but the unions in the railroad are straight up fucking retarded with no back bone.  I bet our union will roll over and take it at the PEB if they offer 1 sick day a year and 14% raise over 5 years because it was "more than what the carriers offered"

View Quote
Maybe I missed the part where they are forcing you to work there?

Oh wait no, I didn't. Don't like it find another job. Nobody or no corporation owes you anything. Don't like it then leave. Don't want to leave then suck it up and do the job.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gov will let it last about two days (max).
View Quote

They'd let it go on a lot longer than that. The only thing stopping them from doing it is if they think it would hurt their election chances.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Frank Wilner is a company shill. There won't be a strike lasting more than a few hours... if that. They offered 11% initially and then raised that to 14% a couple months ago. Just like when they judge in Texas that was worried about the supply chain didn't allow us to strike and set in motion events that will actually make it worse by allowing a new availability policy. If we don't end up with 25 - 30% at least there are going to be even more employees walking. There are a ton of current employees waiting to see what the contract brings. They're tired of being told how important they are to the supply chain. Then seeing how every railroad is making record profits year after year while being expected to take working condition changes and wage increases below inflation. It's a dumpster fire and only getting worse day by day here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The railroad union coalition comprised of all unions representing all crafts of class 1 railroads were released from mediation today to start the 90 day process for a lock out or strike.  We have been in negotiations since 2020... the carriers will not come close to meeting what we want.  They offered a 14% raise over a 5 year period starting in 2020.  We are asking for 40% over a 5 year period starting 2020 (Maintenance of Way that is... TYE and other crafts are asking for similar wage increases).

Get ready guys.. if there is a strike it probably wont last long.. a day or two.  But if it goes longer than a week this economy is fucked.

View Quote
40% raise? WTF?

I'm lucky if I get a 2% raise and I'm an IT Engineer and not a choo-choo engineer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fuck? Don’t they pay boxes of rocks more than that?

Please tell me you’re labor, if you’re a skilled trade, you’re getting buttfucked.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#21]
It's happening!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only by virtue of them inherently being very efficient and monopolies in most cases.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol

Eventually you'll get to see the inside of one
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not sure how that will work absent dragging people to work at gunpoint.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck’em!
Federalize it like WWII!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
40% raise? WTF?

I'm lucky if I get a 2% raise and I'm an IT Engineer and not a choo-choo engineer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

40% raise? WTF?

Over 5 years? When other semi skilled trades with regular hours are seeing similar raises and the companies in question are literally printing money right now? 40% is high but even 14% over 5 years starting in 2020 isn't going to cut it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Atlas Shrugged wasn't prophecy, but she had the players in the destruction nailed.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Katie Farmer is no Dagny Taggart lol
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Go unions!!!

View Quote

You don’t think people should be able to keep up with inflation?    

Do you even believe in Inflation, or are you another one of those meathead deniers?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Three years ago, $61k/year with benefits would have been considered a very decent job.

Now it isn’t shut.

Isn’t it amazing how fast that has changed???
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
okay. I come from a railroad family, every one has worked on the railroad since my great grandfather including me and 5 of my 7 brothers.
Cripple this shitshow, I want to watch the world burn
View Quote

You peeps picked a helluva time to make a stand.   Too bad there wasn't any testicular fortitude before we hit critical mass.  Thanks for being brave now
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Who cares.. Just more fear mongering to keep the uneasiness cycle alive and well.
View Quote
Arfcom told me I was going to starve to death 2 years ago. I was in town in Sunday, I saw a woman that am guessing was 300lbs.

Someone is going to quote this and tell me that it's still coming and I am going to starve to death later this year.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I didn't realized how horribly underpaid some of the RR guys were until I had to hire a flagger to do work near the tracks. I was expecting to get raped but then I found out that they made $12.5/hr; then I was distraught. Great, now I have day laborer looking out for my crew.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

The brainpower behind some of these comments is stunning.

Railroads are the cheapest and most efficient way to move freight.   When you don’t have big bodies of water nearby.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#35]
40%

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The fuck? Don’t they pay boxes of rocks more than that?

Please tell me you’re labor, if you’re a skilled trade, you’re getting buttfucked.
View Quote

Im a track welder...

Not many jobs close to where I live that pay decent for welding.  

Thought about opening up my own fabricating shop... who knows maybe I will once we get fucked on the contract.  Take the back pay and use it towards the business
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Katie Farmer is no Dagny Taggart lol
View Quote

Wrong team.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you know this stuff when ya got hired?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm not sure how that will work absent dragging people to work at gunpoint.
View Quote

National Guard will be called in to run things... Not kidding
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Wages have lagged inflation and productivity for decades. If the railroads won't fix that, it's their funeral. Skilled labor is in heavy, heavy demand elsewhere.
View Quote

Except if there is no rail service there won't be any jobs to go to.
40% raise is not a serious demand. It's extortion.
No one forced anyone to work for the railroad. All unions should be disbanded and let the market dictate salaries and rates. Either you are for capitalism and free market or you are a communist.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Got plenty of apps for fire fighting and law enforcement in our area....theyd take that over what yourr talking about
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Maybe I missed the part where they are forcing you to work there?

Oh wait no, I didn't. Don't like it find another job. Nobody or no corporation owes you anything. Don't like it then leave. Don't want to leave then suck it up and do the job.
View Quote

You would be the perfect fit for railroad management. Pay them pennies to be responsible for multi million dollar shipments and the safety of communities surrounding the tracks, oh and also absolutely no family life or regular rest patterns for your employment duration!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
40% raise? WTF?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

40% raise? WTF?

oooh an IT engineer...wow...the importance of your position of pushing buttons and producing nothing must be weighty.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No one forced anyone to work for the railroad. All unions should be disbanded and let the market dictate salaries and rates. Either you are for capitalism and free market or you are a communist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

8% per year inflation over 5 years is more than 40%
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#45]
for anyone wondering the last contract if I remember right that went through in 2018 gave us annual raises from 2016 to 2019.  Was 3%, 3%, then 2%.  That was the last raise we received.. in 2019.  

40% over 5 years isn't asking a lot especially since we never received a raise during and post covid shut downs.  

40% would bring most of the union's skilled labor wages up to par with other non railroad unions.

Pretty sad a UPS delivery driver makes $41 an hour when the top MoW position pays 33 an hour (BNSF wages)

At the end of the day the railroads always have been corrupt and greedy.. it will never change.  Don't ever take a job with the railroad.  I will be quitting in a year or two tops.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#46]
warren buffet will never let this happen*

* unless he's already figured out a way to use it as leverage to take over someone else's company for pennies on the dollar

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Sciopero

(Lasagna picture)
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go unions!!!

Biden gonna put you all in chains..
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Go unions!!!

View Quote

GD: rugged individualism!
also GD: i hate it when rugged individualists decide to work in a group to represent their collective interests! how dare they not suck the colluding corporations cock!

if real inflation is 9% on average over 5 years you need a 53% raise to break even.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lol

Eventually you'll get to see the inside of one
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top