Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 8:32:10 AM EDT
I'm on a contract for a company in Menasha, WI at the moment that is
being sold, and, the owners are concerned with workplace violence issues, etc.

I'm security, btw.

I'm walking the plant floor and, a woman stops me and, starts questioning me-
Not bad or anything...curiosity.

We exchange pleasentries, and, then she asks if I'm armed.

I tell her no, WI state law makes it really hard to get a handgun permit
without "valid" reasons, so I'm not armed.

She asks if I have a gun in my house, and, I say;  "Yes.  I usually, but not always carry a handgun on my hip, or within reach and, at night, I usually load my AR-15 and, have it at my bedside, then, clear and store it in the morning."

She says;  "Wow..You must live in a bad area.  Are you scared to live there?  Is TX that bad?"

I say;  "No.  I have guns that I know how to use.  I'm not scared at all.  I don't live in a bad area.  I live in a pretty secluded area that I liked until people moved there.  TX isn't bad at all, depending.  I'm more concerned about getting shot in Milauawkee than Dallas."

We talk for a little bit, then, I amble by the shift supervisor, and, we get to talking.  Turns out he's a "hunter".  I have the almost exact same convo with him, complete with his reaction and my reply.

Just struck me as odd there were so many sheep in such a small area.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Wisconsin is pretty liberal.

My mother saw some of my preps in the basement, and said she didn't want me "living in fear"

I said "I don't live in fear BECAUSE I have guns & preparations."
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#2]
You should have said:

"Hell Sugar, I'm from Texas! I cain't sleep at night without 'ere's a firarm next to ma bed, and ma truck won't start unlessen 'ere's a rifle in da gun rack!"
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#3]
For whatever reason, my friends feel the need to bring my gun ownership up every once and while when we are out trolling bars/etc.  Suprisingly, I get about an even split of "oh cool!" vs. "I'm afraid of guns/don't like/etc".   Bear in mind this is a pretty liberal 20-something area (Arlington, VA or DC).  Actually had a lady take me up on my offer let her try some out this past week.   I don't see her running out to buy a pistol or anything, but the seeds of doubt have been planted regarding her liberal indoctrination.      
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#4]
The reaction most people have about my gun ownership?

They hope they're not around me when I snap. The rest of the time, they cower in fear.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#5]

There's a hell of a lot of sheep out there. Their minds seem to work along the lines of "If I take any action to make myself safer I am admitting the world is a dangerous place. Therefore, if I do nothing to safegaurd myself there is no danger."
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Only place I talk firearms is at the range. And if I don't know them I don't volunteer my name. No one at work knows anything other than I am a retired duck hunter, and that's cause I brought in some ordervies for a company lunch.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The reaction most people have about my gun ownership?

They hope they're not around me when I snap. The rest of the time, they cower in fear.

I've been told this before, some were joking, some seemed serious.  LOL
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#8]
WI is pretty liberal. You would be amazed at the number of gun owners, hunters especially, that are against or, have  no opinion on the Personal Protection Act that our Senate and Assembly just passed. Sheep indeed. I moved here several years ago, not really thinking about the "gunb climate" here in WI, but now regret the move at times. Seems WI is becomming more and more like Kalifornia, every day. Don't even get me started on crooked politicians, we have more than our share, but they keep getting re-elected and if caught, so far most are getting away with things more often than not. The older I get, the less I understand people in this country...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 on Wisconsin being liberal. And here, being a hunter doesn't mean jack.

My FIL is a hunter and all he cares about are shotguns, muzzleloaders and bolt actions...and he's also somewhat liberal...go figure. Thank God his daughter is on the same page as I am though .

Anyway, he gave me some crap about having an AR at first, but now he doesn't mind it too much. I'm slowly converting him I think. He sees my C&R stuff and now he' getting interested in that, when before he could care less. Just last weekend he said that he wants me to look into getting a Garand .

However, I'd never tell him that I had a handgun or that I'd get my CCW if we ever get it passed here. Last time I heard him talking about CCW he was ranting about how stupid it was and nobody needed that. Nobody needed a handgun either. It would just cause peope to get hurt more . He doesn't keep any gun in the house ready for defense. They're all unloaded and locked up in a safe and he thinks that it's dumb to keep them ready to use for a home invasion "because it will never happen." *sigh*
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
WI is pretty liberal. You would be amazed at the number of gun owners, hunters especially, that are against or, have  no opinion on the Personal Protection Act that our Senate and Assembly just passed. Sheep indeed. I moved here several years ago, not really thinking about the "gunb climate" here in WI, but now regret the move at times. Seems WI is becomming more and more like Kalifornia, every day. Don't even get me started on crooked politicians, we have more than our share, but they keep getting re-elected and if caught, so far most are getting away with things more often than not. The older I get, the less I understand people in this country...

Seriously. Lautenschlager gets arrested for DUI and she's still a politician . What's the definition of "is" again?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I just dont talk guns with sheeple any more, after thirty years of hearing this crap...I just dont bother with them anymore.

...do you have a permit for that?

...do the police know you have one of those?

...I hope you dont live near me.....(me too)

...why do you need that?

...well, I dont like guns....only cops need those...

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Half of what I talk about at work is guns and whatnot.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wisconsin is pretty liberal.

My mother saw some of my preps in the basement, and said she didn't want me "living in fear"

I said "I don't live in fear BECAUSE I have guns & preparations."

my wife and I go round and round with her always saying "I live in fear" and me saying its not fear its being prepared.  She just dosnt get it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Just wanted to address this point. My wife lost her job last year because the company sold-out. The day they sold, the owner (who is the son of the company founder who actually gave a damn, but that guy is long dead) was vacationing in the Caribbean when he had his supervisors come in one night and tell everyone not to report to work the next day. What an asshole. Maybe he was concerned about workplace violence, but he is a COWARD for not having the decency to give notice (he obviously KNEW that his company was for sale and could've had the decency to give his workers notice so they could find OTHER JOBS).

I guess at least your owners have notified workers that they will be selling. Right? It is the owners' company to sell, but decent people are honest about things and that helps smooth the transition for the displaced workers. Loyalty works both ways and owners/managers who treat employees like barn animals shouldn't be surprized when things don't go smoothly as they flush people's livelihoods down the toilet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Good luck on the PPA, Wisconsin.  As I understand it if everybody shows up and votes as promised you've got veto override margins right now.

I'm constantly suprised that my father, an only recently retired San Diego police officer, disagrees with me keeping a loaded handgun by my bed.  He kept mentioning that he thinks I must be paranoid, this man who saw the worst of humankind every night for thirty years.  Even mentioned how he doesn't keep a loaded gun in the home.  Then I brought the loaded .38 he keeps in his breifcase (it just was his habit he kept while an officer for all those years) and mentioned that it was still there, currently in his house and loaded.  That kindof shut him up.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Half of what I talk about at work is guns and whatnot.

3/4 of what I talk about at work is firearm related...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wanted to address this point. My wife lost her job last year because the company sold-out. The day they sold, the owner (who is the son of the company founder who actually gave a damn, but that guy is long dead) was vacationing in the Caribbean when he had his supervisors come in one night and tell everyone not to report to work the next day. What an asshole. Maybe he was concerned about workplace violence, but he is a COWARD for not having the decency to give notice (he obviously KNEW that his company was for sale and could've had the decency to give his workers notice so they could find OTHER JOBS).

I guess at least your owners have notified workers that they will be selling. Right? It is the owners' company to sell, but decent people are honest about things and that helps smooth the transition for the displaced workers. Loyalty works both ways and owners/managers who treat employees like barn animals shouldn't be surprized when things don't go smoothly as they flush people's livelihoods down the toilet.

The new owners plan to extend job offers to 95% of the plant, from what I understand.

I do alot of closures/downsizes, and, I see it handled well, and, badly.

What you described above happened to me when I worked in a factory before I
joined the Army, and, happened to the plant I worked at after the Army.

I decided that working in a factory:

A-Sucked
B-was not in my best long term interests.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I belong to a car club for VWs here in California and am really outspoken about gun ownership and the need for self preservation/protection,  I've made a few converts and one of them bought his first pistol the other day and picks it up on the 26th.  We are having a club range day to celibrate.  Should look funny with a bunch of VW's showing up at the range and piling out with a bunch of guns.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I belong to a car club for VWs here in California and am really outspoken about gun ownership and the need for self preservation/protection,  I've made a few converts and one of them bought his first pistol the other day and picks it up on the 26th.  We are having a club range day to celibrate.  Should look funny with a bunch of VW's showing up at the range and piling out with a bunch of guns.

I would have bet money that VW's and handguns were mutually exclusive.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh.  I almost bought a fixer upper VW Bus a few years back so I could restore it.  Interestingly a Bus would actually have MORE room for guns and gear than my current car.  A Miata.  

My 18" barrel 870 barely fits in it and my 24" U/O had to ride in the front with me...as discreetly as possible.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I've talked to a lot of people at work, in bars, friends, etc., about guns, and most of them don't seem to be bothered that I own them, but at the same time don't understand why I do.  I generally don't debate the issue, but if they say something I disagree with, I'll let them know.  I don't expect many "converts" are made through arguement, but a comment here or there might get them thinking.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would have bet wrong,  we have 12 people going so far and few that are thinking about it but don't own any ( that's OK we have extras to loan out)  We are having a pre range safety day for the noobs on Saturday.

BTW the new guy got a HK USP in 9mm,  I tried to talk him into a Sig or a 1911 clone of some sort but he really wanted that HK,  I shouldn't complain I have one too and I like it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't talk about it at all. My best friend knows and that's about it outside the family.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I find it annoying that if you have a lot of guns they automatically think you live in a shit area.
Thank god most of the guys I BS with at the Cabelas gun counters are plain gun freaks and not Ranger Elite SEAL shuttle door gunners.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'll take that bet!  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I never get the people who think you "live in fear" if you own guns or stockpile some food for emergencies.

"People call me paranoid for carrying a gun. I have a gun! What is there to be paranoid about?"
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#27]

i live in an area where open carry is legal, and i STILL always have people look at me and honestly ask, "is that a real gun?"

no dipshit. i like walking around with a plastic gun on my hip just so you'll ask me about it...

anyhow, i've had the whole "i hope you don't live near me" thing a million times too when i was living in CT.

my response was always along the lines of, "me too, because if something bad happens i don't want you dropping by asking for help." i hope that popped into a few people's heads when katrina hit this fall.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Only place I talk firearms is at the range. And if I don't know them I don't volunteer my name. No one at work knows anything other than I am a retired duck hunter, and that's cause I brought in some ordervies for a company lunch.

I work in IT my entire department is armed to the teeth.

and we all own motorcycles too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
+1 on Wisconsin being liberal. And here, being a hunter doesn't mean jack.

My FIL is a hunter and all he cares about are shotguns, muzzleloaders and bolt actions...and he's also somewhat liberal...go figure...

NewbHunter is 100% correct.  Hunters in WI are only gun lovers when it comes to shotguns and bolt actions.  Anything else they think is crazy to own.  My dad is the same.  "Why did you buy an AK?  They are so inaccurate.  They are just killing machines.  You dont need that." blah blah blah.
[he owns 3 shotguns, a SW .357 mag, 2 rifles (bolt action), and 2 muzzleloaders.]

My XD, he said "All that is is a police gun.  Why would you want that?"

I haven't even told him I am building an AR.  I probably will never tell him I have an AR.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Really couldn't give a shit what they think. Their opinion good or bad isn't going to change a lifetime hobby of mine.

Most are actually either too scared to get into guns, or have an over bearing nag of a wife who they hand their balls to when they go home, or are just too damned lazy to go fill out a piece of paper to get a permit. They usually are in denial as to the risks that everyday life brings. Ignorance is bliss.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#31]
ALmost everybody who comes across a gun article in my company forwards it to me.

This includes the CEO, Pres, VP, VP sales, and quite a few others.  They also all come to me for gun advice as well.

TXL
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What part of Florida?  And are you hiring?!?!?!?!  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What part of Florida?  And are you hiring?!?!?!?!  

+1 !@#$!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Alot of my coworkers no I am a gun nut but thier is someone else I work with who is far crazier than I am.  I am the least of thier worries but they jokingly tell me often if I get fired we are walking out with you.  Basicly in conversation with a friend I let slip I own AKs now the whole place thinks I am a tad nutty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top