Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:45:28 PM EDT
I just don't get the people who think DMB is rock and roll. It's not. It's adult contemporary, easy listening, vanilla pop, pseudo alternative crap.

But the delusional hipster hippie wannabes think that when they're listening to DMB, they're listening to real rock and roll. Or that they're going to a real rock concert when they're seeing what is basically Elevator music for the Gen X.

All DMB fans need to get it through their skulls-  it's not rock you're listening to. It's bubble gum. In no way, shape or form is DMB rock. You're listening to muzak thinking you're a rock n roll rebel. You're not.

End of today's music rant.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't like the 'bagpipe' type voice of the lead singer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
No, that band is not rock and roll.

that band is ghey.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think its that way because hes not a good singer and he strains to sing. Same way with staind.

Dave Mathews is a dirty stinking hippy anyways.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my most highly despised bands.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
 Your kidding right?  What about Ryme and Reason, Don't Drink the Water, their cover of All Along the Watchtower?  It may not be Ozzy but it isn't elevator music either.  No one ever said that they were hard rock.  Different strokes for different folks.  Honestly, next to Pink Floyd they are my favorite all time band.  (I grew up watching Dave play every Friday and Saturday night before they were "found")  I don't like most of their politics but they are good guys who play good music and put on a good show.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I like their older stuff better.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
shhhhhh... It's a secret if you call it rock n roll all the kids will eat it up. Look at what happened to kenny G with the young crowd. If he had been labeled a pop artist he would have been bigger than britney spears.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Crap.

They're not Dropkick, the Pogues, Ramones,  the Business etc., so that almost goes without saying.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#9]
if ted nugent saw dave matthews, i think he'd kick dave's ass
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think its that way because hes not a good singer and he strains to sing. Same way with staind.

Dave Mathews is a dirty stinking hippy anyways.

Someone once said to me they thought it sounded like Dave Matthews was singing with a mouthfull of shit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I like their older stuff better.

Yeah the new CD blows Under the Table and Dreaming and Crash were CD's that you could play all the way through as the newer CD's came out the quality of the CD started to decline.  Grey Street and Bartender were two of their best newer songs.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#12]
All of the CD's blow.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Since the thread title has been changed, there is a broad spectrum of music that falls under the category of "Rock and Roll"  Alternative is a good description of DMB.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#14]

DMB is a garantied lay with fat chicks.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ted Nugent is someone I can agree on politics but his music SUCKS.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm old, I've given up on a lot of bands that think they can rock.

Much less this one,

GM
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
 Your kidding right?

No, my is not kidding.

Take someone like chris cornell, who can create a solo album that is very dark and mellow, dabble in different styles, and still be rock. And when he wants to, he can kick ass.

DMB, otoh, is no-threatening alternative wannabe music. At their most rockin' level, they're barely even approaching early rock era tunes in intensity.

It's for people who want to think they're rockin' out without hurting their arthritic hip.

The dave matthews band is to rock and roll as airsoft is to firearms.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#18]

WTF is "alternative"!???

EVERY kind of music is "alternative" to everything else.

"Alternative" is simply an ignorant, smug, self-centered label that ignorant, smug, self-centered nitwits attach to "their" favorite flavor of music so that they can feel oh-so-superior and "edgy" when in fact they're nothing but conceited, egotistical, hypocritical little booger-eaters.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#19]
"and roll" is dead.

Just rock.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Since the thread title has been changed, there is a broad spectrum of music that falls under the category of "Rock and Roll"  Alternative is a good description of DMB.

it wasn't changed. For some reason it clipped off the last part of the title and I had to go back and put in the last part to fix it.

However, the text of the first post is exactly the same, and the same sentiment is expressed there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Finally, yes he sucks something awful.

How do you feel about red dawn?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Plus they crap on other people
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Your kidding right?

No, my is not kidding.

Take someone like chris cornell, who can create a solo album that is very dark and mellow, dabble in different styles, and still be rock. And when he wants to, he can kick ass.

DMB, otoh, is no-threatening alternative wannabe music. At their most rockin' level, they're barely even approaching early rock era tunes in intensity.

It's for people who want to think they're rockin' out without hurting their arthritic hip.

The dave matthews band is to rock and roll as airsoft is to firearms.

As I said before Rock and Roll encompasses many types of music.  DMB does not aspire to be a hard rock band.  They are in their own category all together.  Listening to good music isn't about seeing who can go deaf the fastest.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#24]
DMB is to now what Hootie and the Blowfish were to 1995. They're both like good breakfast cereal: nothing particularly bad about them, but nothing particularly good about them either. Designed not to provoke or offend, unless it's involved with agitating for the right trendy liberal causes and saying the right things in interviews.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
WTF is "alternative"!???

"Alternative" is simply an ignorant, smug, self-centered label that ignorant, smug, self-centered nitwits attach to "their" favorite flavor of music so that they can feel oh-so-superior and "edgy" when in fact they're nothing but conceited, egotistical, hypocritical little booger-eaters.

Damn chill out
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.

You like DMB and you think wango tango sucks.

You rock and roll rebel you.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
No, that band is not rock and roll.

that band is ghey.

+1
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about Red Dawn?  One of my favorite movies.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Plus they crap on other people

"Bridge! Bridge! Take me to the bridge- and drop me. Ow!"

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
DMB is to now what Hootie and the Blowfish were to 1995. They're both like good breakfast cereal: nothing particularly bad about them, but nothing particularly good about them either. Designed not to provoke or offend, unless it's involved with agitating for the right trendy liberal causes and saying the right things in interviews.

That is another band that I liked when their first CD came out- I still listen to that CD the better half hates them
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF is "alternative"!???

Damn chill out

Touched a nerve?

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.

You like DMB and you think wango tango sucks.

You rock and roll rebel you.

Yes Wango tango sucks, cat scratch fever sucks.......you guys give Ted way, way too much credit.  As I said, I like his conservative stances and he is a helluva good guy, that doesn't mean that I have to like his music.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is another band that I liked when their first CD came out- I still listen to that CD the better half hates them

Damn, man, you're hardcore.

Hootie AND DMB!!!

Got any yanni cd's you want to tell us about?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF is "alternative"!???

Damn chill out

Touched a nerve?

No, don't know why you had go off on saying those things...I like their music, big deal, so you like something different who cares, don't know why you have to act like an ass about it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF is "alternative"!???

Damn chill out

Touched a nerve?

No, don't know why you had go off on saying those things...I like their music, big deal, so you like something different who cares, don't know why you have to act like an ass about it.

He wasn't being an ass. He was telling the truth. The alternative tag is overused and a marketing gimmick. It's like starbucks. Trendy and popular because it is (was) trendy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I loathe what that assclown did to "All Along The Watchtower"
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hootie AND DMB!!!

I also have Pink Floyd, Gratefull Dead, Guns and Rosses, Eagles, Bob Marley, Tom Petty, Huey Lewis and the News, Bruce Hornsby, Doobbie Brothers, Bob Dylan, The Band, Matchbox 20, Tim McGraw, George Straight, Willie Nelson, Ronnie Milsap, and Jimmy Buffet to name a few.  I have a huge music collection from a wide array of genres.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about Red Dawn?  One of my favorite movies.

Damn you... for once I felt I had found some one I could love.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I loathe what that assclown did to "All Along The Watchtower"

I like both.......
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hootie AND DMB!!!

I also have Pink Floyd, Gratefull Dead, Guns and Rosses, Eagles, Bob Marley, Tom Petty, Huey Lewis and the News, Bruce Hornsby, Doobbie Brothers, Bob Dylan, The Band, Matchbox 20, Tim McGraw, George Straight, Willie Nelson, Ronnie Milsap, and Jimmy Buffet to name a few.  I have a huge music collection from a wide array of genres.

Well, thanks for listing your record collection.

None of that makes DMB rock and roll, however.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

He wasn't being an ass.

Ok sure.........
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hootie AND DMB!!!

Ok big shot what do you listen too?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Only AC/DC is pure rock.

Hokie Pokie
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF is "alternative"!???

Damn chill out

Touched a nerve?

I'm not talking about Dave Mathews Band - I'm talking about the juvenile attitude of calling an entire category of music "Alternative" as if Blues, Southern Rock, Fusion, Funk, Rockabilly, Thrash Metal, R&B, Classical, Jazz, Nashville, Pop, Electronica, Caberet, Folk, Bluegrass, Classic Rock, Glam Rock, Country & Western, etc are all the same.

Every time someone says they like "alternative" - they sound just SO stupid.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Only AC/DC is pure rock.

Hokie Pokie

Highway to Hell is a great song, some of their songs are hit or miss, don't like TNT or Dirty Deeds, do like Hell's Bells and Have a drink on me.  Back in Black kicks ass as well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

that is what it is listed under and the music shop, at least it was 6 or seven years ago.  When downloading off the internet it is labeled as alernative.  Like I said, DMB is in its own category.  You have to admit that it is rare that a band could take off without electric guitars and having a violin and a saxaphone as featured band members.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hootie AND DMB!!!

Ok big shot what do you listen too?

Uh, let's see a small sample:
The who (rock)
Reel Big Fish (rock  / ska / metal)
Joe Walsh (rock)
Zeppelin (rock)
Buddy Guy (blues)
Chris Cornell (rock, with varied styles)
Alice in Chains (rock)
Foo Fighters (rock)
Garbage (rock)
Rush (rock)
Stevie Ray Vaugh (Blues)
Dean Martin (either easy listening or just damn good music).

See what I listed last? I listen to Dean Martin. He's not rock and roll. I hold no illusions about him being rock and roll.  But I like him. I don't try to justify my listening to him by saying he's rock and roll when he isn't.

That's what this thread is about. You may like DMB, it may be your favorite band. But it isn't rock and roll.  Just accept it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The who (rock)
Joe Walsh (rock)
Zeppelin (rock)
Buddy Guy (blues)
Alice in Chains (rock)
Foo Fighters (rock)
Garbage (rock)
Rush (rock)
Stevie Ray Vaugh (Blues)

See what I listed last? I listen to Dean Martin. He's not rock and roll. I hold no illusions about him being rock and roll.  But I like him. I don't try to justify my listening to him by saying he's rock and roll when he isn't.

That's what this thread is about. You may like DMB, it may be your favorite band. But it isn't rock and roll.  Just accept it.

If it makes you feel  better........
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is what it is listed under and the music shop, at least it was 6 or seven years ago.  When downloading off the internet it is labeled as alernative.  Like I said, DMB is in its own category. You have to admit that it is rare that a band could take off without electric guitars and having a violin and a saxaphone as featured band members.

Whatever.

Enjoy your "rare" band of musical geniuses.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The who (rock)
Joe Walsh (rock)
Zeppelin (rock)
Buddy Guy (blues)
Alice in Chains (rock)
Foo Fighters (rock)
Garbage (rock)
Rush (rock)
Stevie Ray Vaugh (Blues)

If it makes you feel  better........

I'm not the one trying to rationalize that DMB is a rock band.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top