Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
7/8/2020 3:01:36 PM
Posted: 5/1/2009 7:48:49 AM EDT
I repair refrigeration / AC for a living.  Right now is about when the phone starts ringing with people who want me to come over and fix their shit for a couple beers.  I'm just chomping at the bit to work on your 20 year old garbage after a hard day of working on other peoples 20 year old garbage. I don't want to go home and relax, no.  I want to go to your house and repair your stuff for free because we kind of know each other.

I  so desperately want to give you free stuff off my work van so I can get fired. I also don't want to go home because there are things there that need to be done and I don't feel like doing them ,so this will give me an excuse. I know money means so much to you so why don't you just keep it in your pocket, I enjoy working on your garbage so much that payment is not required, I wouldn't think of it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:50:20 AM EDT
This is why I no longer inform people that I used to do comp repairs.

I just pretend I'm computer illiterate. People tend to not ask for my help anymore.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:50:50 AM EDT
That is a pisser. I hate people like that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:53:50 AM EDT
I know exaclty what you mean.  Every deer season my friend list really grows.  I have people that I haven't talked to in years all of a sudden want to talk to me so they can hunt my place.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:57:10 AM EDT
You should get paid, plus the beer! That is what I do when I need work from a friend.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:58:46 AM EDT

I race and am a halfway decent auto mechanic. I go thru the same damn thing. I just say I'm too busy usually and give a lot of phone advice.
When they tell you the problem on the phone tell them it's time for a new widjit, the old one aint worth fixin'.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:58:49 AM EDT
One of my units is making a funny sound, whadduyasuppose it could be
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:08:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 8:09:36 AM EDT by BillofRights]
Consider getting a different trade.  For example, become a Fireman.  How many friends are going to ask you to put out a fire?

Become a pilot.  How many of your friends own cabin class turbine aircraft?

See how it works?

BTW-  What ever happened to DrFrige?   That guy was really helpful and informative.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:15:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Consider getting a different trade.  For example, become a Fireman.  How many friends are going to ask you to put out a fire?

See how it works?

BTW-  What ever happened to DrFrige?   That guy was really helpful and informative.

He's still around. I do help people around here when I can. Don't mind that.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:23:53 AM EDT
People who don't call unless they want something? Oh, I see you've met my kids!

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:29:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kapitalist:

I just pretend I'm computer illiterate. People tend to not ask for my help anymore.

Same here. I just tell them "I work on telecommunications equipment and digital switching. I don't mess with PCs at all". That usually stops them once their eyes glaze over.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:52:09 AM EDT
been a mechanic for the last 30 years..... brother, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:10:51 AM EDT
You get beers when that happens!?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:11:55 AM EDT
4/10
easy answer, tell them to fuck off
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:16:15 AM EDT
Or you need to just develop a very expensive taste in beer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:41:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 9:42:24 AM EDT by KrushR]
Originally Posted By Kapitalist:

This.  It has to be a very good friend in a terrible situation for me to help any more.  Family doesn't even ask, except Mom.  I'm not rude about it, I've just explained that I don't do PC repairs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:57:44 AM EDT
Mechanic here, get that a lot too. I got an uncle and cousin who only call when they want to
go to the range and shoot up my AR. I had to tell them to buy the ammo last time, so they didn't go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:02:11 AM EDT
I used to do taxes.  I don't tell people that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:03:08 AM EDT
I feel you man.  I grew up working with my Dad who had an HVAC business.  It used to frustrate the hell out of him.  He knows a lot of people and has a lot of friends, which made it even worse.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:53:32 PM EDT
I do HVAC service myself, had the same problem.(work for myself)

Finally put my foot down and told them they can pay just like the rest or call somebody else.

I have one or two that I help out on occasion and I'm more that happy to give anybody advise over the phone.

But if I break out the tools, I break out the recipe book.

I have no problem helping out folks on here in the DIY forum, if they can fix it them self, good for them.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:16:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JCoop:
People who don't call unless they want something? Oh, I see you've met my kids!

We must have the same kids.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:19:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Quite a few actually...its nice to have friends in "high" places.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:25:36 PM EDT
What's your phone #?  I need some money!  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:26:15 PM EDT
My family and friends know I don't do carpenter work for free.  Heck I built a big two car garage for a friend recently and made a nice chunk of cash!  I have a friend who's a mechanic and when I need my car worked on I take it to his shop and pay like anyone else.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:34:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:40:23 PM EDT
i have a friend i never call and he never calls me..

unless one of our jeeps is stuck  ..

I have no idea where i meet him or got his number..    but thats all we call each other for.

its wierd but he always shows when I call.. and I always drop everything when he calls.  
we BS for a few and off we go.

wierd now that i think about it.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:13:46 PM EDT
In my case, there is another word for them,  "family"  

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:44:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MossyOakMan:
I know exaclty what you mean.  Every deer season my friend list really grows.  I have people that I haven't talked to in years all of a sudden want to talk to me so they can hunt my place.

I'm a butcher, and in the fall I use to get a lot of calls from old friends, use too
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:55:38 PM EDT
You should simply tell them that you'll take a look at it, but "I charge  . . . ." whatever it is you charge.

If they get all "c'mon dude," then you ask them to do their whatever it is they do for you for a couple of beers.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:09:23 PM EDT
I have a lot of equipment and tractors for my business and "friends"/neighbors always want something for free.

Let's see, you want me to bring my $40,000 tractor with $1000 registration, my liability insurance, my taxes on the trucks, maintenance costs at about $30/hour of tractor time and do your thing for free?

yeah, whatever, my rate is $120/hour, no travel time because you are my neighbor.

If i get the work, great, if I don't, that's great too.

BTW, I do fix our private road, because it's the neighborly thing to do, but I'm not fixing each person's driveway.
Top Top