Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2016 8:33:58 PM EDT
Had a longer post typed out, deleted it...Gist of it is I had the misfortune of encountering ghosts from my past over the last few days.  Essentially a crowd I used to hang around with that I had thought I had long ago left behind me (reintroduced to me in large part thanks to fuckbook).

It's amazing really, how little some folks evolve in life and essentially remain unchanged from what they were 25-30 years ago.  

Doesn't apply to everyone..I've encountered some people from my youth that have turned into fine adults, but this isn't the case for everyone it seems.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You're not my dad!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Tons of old guys my age walking around in Florida Gator attire year round.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Or the people who train wreck themselves in their 20's... That's fun.

My favorite are the people who I never thought would succeed who somehow make tons of money and have great jobs / great lives. They amaze me! And it makes me happy to see them succeed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]
It's wierd. That moment you realize that the people you cared so much for, even loved. Are just flops that never had any drive to begin with. Many of my old click are in jail, doped out, or just plain losers at life.

Sorry for ya.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet I could throw a football over those mountains
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't changed fundamentally, thank goodness cause I'm still cool...
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or the people who train wreck themselves in their 20's... That's fun.

My favorite are the people who I never thought would succeed who somehow make tons of money and have great jobs / great lives. They amaze me! And it makes me happy to see them succeed.
View Quote

Those are my favorites also...

I just like to see change and growth.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

1982 was a good year. The year before I came to this Earth
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Dazer & Confused + Married with Children = OP

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I've talked here about Keith, the weird kid that I lived next door to growing up.

I haven't seen him about 6 years but last time I did he hadn't changed one fucking bit since high school.

Dude wanted me to listen to a Whitesnake cassette with him.

This was in 2009 or so.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dazer & Confused + Married with Children = OP

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

R.I.F.  You might want to read the OP again.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I've known a few like that.  Good example is a coworker.  Grew up hunting/fishing constantly with his dad.  Basically all they did.  Now in his forties and no different.  Lives and breathes it.  It's the only interest he has.  It sucks to have a conversation because no matter what topic he always brings it around to "so I was on my stand the other day and...".  Don't get me wrong I like to hunt/fish (I basically lived in the woods from my teens through my mid twenties) but as I got older ive picked up many other things to get interested in.  I have "evolved".
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
One of my former friends must be the guy Bruce Springsteen wrote about in "Glory Days". His accomplishments in high school athletics have defined his life, he still thinks of himself as the quarterback and sports a mullet some 40 years later. Quite sad actually.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
One of the reasons I deleted my Facebook account.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Some cultures likewise never grow past what they were in their youths.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View Quote

</img />

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I work in high schools. One district I worked at, around 60% of the staff had graduated from that school.  It was creepy as fuck.  Especially the guys who had been high school athletes there and were still totally consumed by their high school sports team.

Worse place I ever worked.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I work in high schools. One district I worked at, around 60% of the staff had graduated from that school.  It was creepy as fuck.  Especially the guys who had been high school athletes there and were still totally consumed by their high school sports team.

View Quote

For some that is/was the pinnacle of their whole life.

Sad.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's pretty much my town.

People are nice enough, but it reeks of that small town viper den type situation.

We really should move, but I like the area. When people try to talk gossip with me I stop them in their tracks and tell them I don't care. This place is fueled by it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was a teenager I knew a group of guys who spent their time drinking, smoking and bullshitting.   Decades later they are still at it, in basically the same place.  In fact, they took over the local bar from their fathers who were doing the same thing until they died.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I rather enjoy seeing their opiate pale skin and meth teeth faced selfies.  Makes me feel successful
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top