Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 8:07:38 AM EDT
most of time i hear as a reply is yeah, huh or simply nothing?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#1]
We do in Texas for the most part.  

<shrugs>

HH
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Common courtesy seems to be a dying art.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#3]
It especially pisses me off when I'm buying something at a store and the prick gives no greeting and no thank you. I would have had my ass fired if I'd done that when I was a checker at the supermarket back in the early 90s. We had to fake our happiness then and the punks ought to be forced to fake it today!  

Also, get off my lawn!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Work in a fast food restaurant has trained me to say these things.

It's also almost made me reply to, "Thank you" with, "Would you like any ketchup or salt?".
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Like my drill sergeant said, “Got no home trainin’.” Uncouth bastards that drag society down and reduce our level of discourse. I am tempted every now and then to remind them that a simple “Thank you,” could be the one factor that makes me decide not to gouge out their eyes with chopsticks. When the revolution comes they should be third against the wall, right after journalists and worthless fuckbags that drive slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#7]
sorta like spend over $1k for a vendor here and i don't even get a thank you - it's like i'm doing him a favor.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
sorta like spend over $1k for a vendor here and i don't even get a thank you - it's like i'm doing him a favor.

Call them on it.

You are mobile.

Your business is mobile.

If you do not feel appreciated you probably are not.

If the business you are dealing with has that kind of shitty employees working at it then keep a close eye on quality.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#9]
i hate it, it happens more and more, they just arent raised right.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It especially pisses me off when I'm buying something at a store and the prick gives no greeting and no thank you. I would have had my ass fired if I'd done that when I was a checker at the supermarket back in the early 90s. We had to fake our happiness then and the punks ought to be forced to fake it today!  

Also, get off my lawn!!!

I see the other side of it every day working retail. Guy walks in the door, I give him a howdy, which is not returned. "Can I help you find anything?"  usually gets a dead stare.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I usualy reply with "fuck off" or something along those lines when people try to be helpfull. If I go to a retail store and someone "greets" me or asks if I can be helped, I normaly just flip them off and tell them to get fucked. If I am in a store its because I know what I want and plan to buy it, leave me the hell alone.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I usualy reply with "fuck off" or something along those lines when people try to be helpfull. If I go to a retail store and someone "greets" me or asks if I can be helped, I normaly just flip them off and tell them to get fucked. If I am in a store its because I know what I want and plan to buy it, leave me the hell alone.

You're a peach aint ya!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Lots of times instead of saying you're welcome I'll just say yep or yeah. Mostly out of laziness.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's just like common sense, it ain't common.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I am a fan of "no news is good news"

Hearing  "good morning" does not one single thing for me. It is not even a complete sentence.

It pisses me the hell off to hear someone say "excuse me" if I get within 15 feet of them.

unless I am on fire... please shut the hell up.
I wake up pissed every mmorning and am perfectly content to my own.

To those who are bundles of joy and popularly acceptable "polite" phrase speakers.. go right on ahead
When you say excuse me or I am sorry.. DOnt get mad when I say "for what... walking besides me. please dont apologize for walking and avoiding bumping into me"
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#16]
TIO.....

This is Ohio.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

yep.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hearing  "good morning" does not one single thing for me. It is not even a complete sentence.

It pisses me the hell off to hear someone say "excuse me" if I get within 15 feet of them.

To those who are bundles of joy and popularly acceptable "polite" phrase speakers.. go right on ahead
When you say excuse me or I am sorry.. DOnt get mad when I say "for what... walking besides me. please dont apologize for walking and avoiding bumping into me"

Kicked a puppy lately?  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I usually blade at 45 and shoot them in the foot.  If I don't get a response, I will move up to the shin, then knee, etc....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#20]
even if i don't get a thank you, i always say YOU'RE WELCOME!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I held the door for a middle age lady at the post office  in Louisiana.
She just walked through, and looked at me like I was the fuggin' door boy.

I just said " Oh well, fuck you very much ".
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I say "thank you" too much.  My wife called me on it...I tell the clerk at Walmart "thank you".

Thanks....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#23]
When I lived in PRK, only the transplants (usually) adhered to common courtesies. There ARE some fine people in CA, but generally NOT around the metro areas.

Arizona was considerably friendlier, but it's mostly the rural-raised folks. People in the immediate PHX area-especially Snobsdale Scottsdale, aren't much different than the Ca folks. In a lot of instances, they ARE CA people.

Where I am now in MO, people are still taught common courtesies. Even most of the younger generation is still somewhat polite. Except for the few wannabe gangstas.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I say "thank you" too much.  My wife called me on it...I tell the clerk at Walmart "thank you".

Thanks....

There's nothing wrong with saying thanks to the clerk for helping you.  In fact, I think it is rather good manners to do so.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What the fuck.  Jackass.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Somebody once said that 'manners are what separate us from the animals'...well, opposable thumbs and inventing shit are two others that come to mind, but I'm always mindful of thanking people to the point of excess, holding doors open for people and letting others enter first.  You'd be surprised at how 'dead' manners are in this country.

The GF and I eat out just about every day for stretches at a time, so I get to see people interact.  I've had wait staff come up and thank me for being so pleasant and telling me that others aren't so much.  My GF kind of fits that mold and I've mentioned it to her.  She's not rude, but will defer to me in thanking the person.  She's gotten more frequent in thanking people, but it really doesn't take much to do it and it really makes a difference.

I had some lady the other day pull up behind my truck as I was backing out of the cigar shop.  She's eating what looked to be a dinner roll and with a full mouth begins asking me directions all the while gnawing on the thing.  I felt like screaming at her to take a gulp and start over, but I bit my tongue and began telling her where to go.

Chris

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#28]
I like simple courtesies such as "Thank you" and "You're welcome," but spare me the cheery small talk at the grocery checkout or the fast food counter.

Sheesh. The 16 yr old high school girl at Top's does not care about how my day was. Laquesha at the Wendy's in Rochester doesn't either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#29]
How about an "I'm Sorry" from the wife.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kicked a puppy lately?  

Another episode of "Anti-social weirdos of our Lives" on AR15.  Tune in next week when we re-visit Wal-Mart greeters.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, get off my lawn!!!

I see the other side of it every day working retail. Guy walks in the door, I give him a howdy, which is not returned. "Can I help you find anything?"  usually gets a dead stare.  

This
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

We do in Texas for the most part.  

<shrugs>

HH

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#34]
i get annoyed when vendors just give an one word reply via email - they are all goody goody to get the sale, but then afterwards their attitude changes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I thank everyone.  Cashiers, McDonalds speaker order taker dude, everyone.
I wave to people when I drive past them.
I hold doors for people.
I tell people to have a good day and they look at me like I grew a third eyeball in the middle of my forehead.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, it's already dead, along with common sense.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
even if i don't get a thank you, i always say YOU'RE WELCOME!!

Me too  A common reply in MN to someone saying thank you is "Yep".  It annoys the hell out of me
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#38]
"No problem" has replaced the normal "You're welcome" after a "Thank you". This is wrong. Common courtesy and common sense are rapidly eroding away.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How about an "I'm Sorry" from the wife.

Doesn't exist in my house either.  I seem to say it enough for the both of us though.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks....

There's nothing wrong with saying thanks to the clerk for helping you.  In fact, I think it is rather good manners to do so.

No shit. Some of the replies here make me
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck.  Jackass.  

What ya expect in GD?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somebody once said that 'manners are what separate us from the animals'...well, opposable thumbs and inventing shit are two others that come to mind, but I'm always mindful of thanking people to the point of excess, holding doors open for people and letting others enter first.  You'd be surprised at how 'dead' manners are in this country.

The GF and I eat out just about every day for stretches at a time, so I get to see people interact.  I've had wait staff come up and thank me for being so pleasant and telling me that others aren't so much.  My GF kind of fits that mold and I've mentioned it to her.  She's not rude, but will defer to me in thanking the person.  She's gotten more frequent in thanking people, but it really doesn't take much to do it and it really makes a difference.

I had some lady the other day pull up behind my truck as I was backing out of the cigar shop.  She's eating what looked to be a dinner roll and with a full mouth begins asking me directions all the while gnawing on the thing.  I felt like screaming at her to take a gulp and start over, but I bit my tongue and began telling her where to go.

Chris

Ah, one of my pet peeves––––I just refuse to admit I understand anything until the asker is done with their food and asks properly.  Unless it is a fire or other imminent danger to life and limb, it can darn well wait until you've finished chewing your food.  (And please, try to keep your dang mouth shut while you do that, will you?)
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#43]
also when in traffic you let someone cut in front of you and they don't even acknowledge you will a hand wave - i learned from convertible drivers are the worse.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#44]
The most polite large group of people that I have ever been around were at the 912 protest.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

also when in traffic you let someone cut in front of you and they don't even acknowledge you will a hand wave - i learned from convertible drivers are the worse.

I stopped letting people over a long time ago.  I'd get a wave maybe 1 in 10 times.  Fuck em

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top