Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 12:44:41 PM EDT
I've been divorced for about 9 years...but recently, my parents have been receiving phone calls from 'people' looking to talk to her.

Next, they started receiving mail addressed to her at their address....

Now, my brother in law is receiving the same type of calls...He has an american sounding last name, but I guess they traced it through my sister's maiden name.

She changed back to her maiden name when we got divorced. My number is unlisted. There are very few people with my last name in this country.  Less than 10 families that I can find.

Money shouldn't be an issue, I pay a lot in child support, and it's obvious that she's not spending a lot on them. She makes a pretty good living on top of that.

Currently, we're all ignoring the calls.

tvone
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like she used your parents as references on a loan that she defaulted on.

Just a guess.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Check six, dude. Trouble may be brewing....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Check six, dude. Trouble may be brewing....

You're right.  This requires you to look into it more. Cover your a**.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Less than 10 people in the WHOLE COUNTRY with your last name?

Damn

Definitely not Smith
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Did they leave a number?

If so it might be worth calling from a pay phone that is a few towns from either of the places they have numbers and addresses for.

I would do this to politely ask, "wtf are you trying to learn?"

I had something kinda similar and it turns out some moron tried to use me on a resume as a reference and he never expected it to be checked out.  I am not a reference in my opinion and I creamed that one for fun.  It is rude to use someone for a reference and not tell them.

I would call simply for the loan possability mentioned.

And the pay phone is not paranoia, it is to make the goof balls spend a few hours checking out that town.  Go pick one that is close knit and kind of out of the way.

And yeah, I like playing with folks who call my number.  I am too cheap to pay to unlist my number but I go out of my way to play with folks who call or misdial.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#6]
My bet is that it is about money...  bad debts, credit cards, etc
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My bet is that it is about money...  bad debts, credit cards, etc

Quoted:
Sounds like she used your parents as references on a loan that she defaulted on.

Just a guess.

Yup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top