Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2011 10:34:21 PM EDT
I see numerous posts where people complain about "today's generation" almost always an older generation idealizing how younger people should act and what is wrong with them..

People complaining about the current generation are usually Fathers,Uncles, Grandfathers, Basement Dwellers ect..They complain and proclaim to know whats wrong with society..Usually the conclusion is video games,internet, and not going outside.. As "kids nowadays" who play video games, or use the internet instead of the kids of the old days.Back then kids played outside,  hunted, fished ect and you didnt have today's problems..

No one looks at themselves and realize they are acting as radical as the children or generation they are complaining about...As Adults back in the day did not use the internet to hold a conversation to complain about their kids being lazy....They went to work, Sat in the back of country gas station and had coffee and conversation with other locals and bitched in person..They took their kids outside to the park to play,hunting and fishing..Older adults did not spend the time to save and host pcitures of "cool story bro"..I feel these people whom complain fail to see that they themselves would be looked at negatively by their elder generation on how they act..

I am not saying TV, Video games, Ipods,internet are the cause of problems for children or not..

But What do you think? Are today's problems caused from poor adult leadership who are not out taking their grand kids fishing and hunting, becuase Gramps is typing about his new 1911 on Arfcom?

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
A professor of anthropology of mine said there are Egyptian hieroglyphics and cuneiform tablets from 5000 years ago complaining about 'kids these days' and how lazy and useless they are.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Same as it ever was.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
"P-p-people try to put us down just because we g-g-get around."

The guy who wrote that is now older than my parents.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Cut your damn hair, hippie.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Ya olde farts
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Get offa my lawn!

Danged whippersnappers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:09:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Older generations have always compkained about the up and coming generation, but I seriously think the youngsters these days FU'd.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:28:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Older generations have always compkained about the up and coming generation, but I seriously think the youngsters these days FU'd.

And who raised those youngsters?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:39:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

A professor of anthropology of mine said there are Egyptian hieroglyphics and cuneiform tablets from 5000 years ago complaining about 'kids these days' and how lazy and useless they are.

Not sure if serious, but I do remember reading a quote from an ancient Egyptian that read something like "...and now men don't want to work, they only want to write books.  Surely the end of the world is coming."  That's heavily paraphrased, but that was the gist of it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:47:46 AM EDT
[#12]
There's a major difference between the attitudes of people my age (23) and people graduating high school. Fucking. Huge.

ETA: Not a maturity thing either.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:28:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

More like a case of "who didn't bother to raise them."
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:35:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

the ones we see the most heinous problems from, fights in McDonalds, late night brawlls in IHOP, kicking a victim when down already, shooting an unknown person on the street for 'creds"?
Constantly inundated with sex, violence, anti social behavior, entitlement mentality from video games, music, videos, commercials, billboards,print ad's
They most probably raised themselves as parents were either single parent working at a subsistence level due to being an too young/lazy/ignorant to parent as they
were "too cool" to get educated or they had parental units that see children as an aborted fetus or an annoyance as they waited too long to abort them and couldn't be bothered to raise their litter..
We see schools teaching that a baby is nothing and easily gotten rid of,,its ok, its like an unwanted puppy..etc..

Feral Children = Feral Teens = Feral young adults = a Feral society = A Society in collapse...or Future America,.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:50:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you know why I complain about "kids these days"?  Because they're hopelessly friggin' stupid.  Read something written by an average teenager today.  It's shocking.  Papers that would have gotten me a D  in 5th grade are now A papers in highschool.  Punctuation?  Non-existant.  Coherent, well though out, cohesive style?  Thing of the past.  In and of itself it wouldn't be a huge problem, but it point s to the larger problem.  That being the celebration of stupidity.  It's now cool to be clueless and vapid.  It has nothing to do with video games or TV.  Parents don't raise or involve themselves in kids lives anymore.  Schools are a joke.  I really do fear for this country's future.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:53:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:54:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Parents don't raise or involve themselves in kids lives anymore

Nail on head.  I'm 25 and I have to agree.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:23:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey OP.

You damned kids today!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:30:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't do that.......my generation was the most anti-gun generation America has ever known.

Plus, way too many of them are self-absorbed libtards.

Overall, I am ashamed of my generation.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:36:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Old folks have been trashing "this generation" since God-knows-when.

As a 28-year-old, I can tell you that the old folks are on to something.  I trash talk my generation all the damn time.  In fact, when I'm talking to other young adults I usually call it "your generation."

They like to call the Americans who won the Second World War the "Greatest Generation."  I call bull.  Look at who they raised.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:46:09 AM EDT
[#21]
my only bitch about "kids these days" (now keep in mind im 28" is instead of fighting like men. You know go out side kick the shit out of each other, shake hands and be on your way. They have to bring 10 people with them and someone always has a knife or gun. I remember starting working at the bar when I was 21, a fight was a fight. Throw em out and then the next night they are drinking togeather. Now they fight get thrown out and come back in 20 mins with 20 people. dumbasses
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:52:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Do you know why I complain about "kids these days"?  Because they're hopelessly friggin' stupid.  Read something written by an average teenager today.  It's shocking.  Papers that would have gotten me a D  in 5th grade are now A papers in highschool.  Punctuation?  Non-existant.  Coherent, well though out, cohesive style?  Thing of the past.  In and of itself it wouldn't be a huge problem, but it point s to the larger problem.  That being the celebration of stupidity.  It's now cool to be clueless and vapid.  It has nothing to do with video games or TV.  Parents don't raise or involve themselves in kids lives anymore.  Schools are a joke.  I really do fear for this country's future.

You do have a point there.

But again I ask - who is giving them A's for work that deserves a D? When you let people get away with being lazy then there will be more lazy people.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:18:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Agreed.  I'm going a little off topic here, but that is why I absolutely hate tenure and teacher's unions.  Entrenched incompetents.  It's wonderful, isn't it?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:28:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Can you fathom how the WW2 vets felt about the hippies in the 60s? They must of thought it was the end of America.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Can you fathom how the WW2 vets felt about the hippies in the 60s? They must of thought it was the end of America.

Look around now that they're in power.  It was.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:48:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look around now that they're in power.  It was.

And, that is what I was talking about........THAT IS my generation.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#27]
cool story bro*

*picture not included
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#28]
You just wait.  You'll change your tune in a few years.  

Although, to be fair, there were no cell phones and no Internet (that was publicly accessible, anyway) when I was a kid, so in that case, things really were different.  But if there had been, I'd have had to walk through the snow uphill both ways to get to them on my way to the movies that only cost a nickel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Mass generalizations are always bullshit but even I look at sites like Failbook and think that kids these days are idiots...and I'm 30. Then again I see idiots of all ages.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Same as it ever was.

no, not really.

Kids when I grew up did not beat the fuck outta trannys in McDonalds.

Kids did not hibernate in front of an XboX

Kids did not get felonies passing around nude pix of the local slut......hell we couldn't even get them to pose, let alone get the film developed.

Kid's did not get felonies for coming to school with a shotgun in the pickup.

between the stupid libs, and stoopid-er kids, this country is FUCKED
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:10:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Mass generalizations are always bullshit but even I look at sites like Failbook and think that kids these days are idiots...and I'm 30. Then again I see idiots of all ages.

The Internet doesn't make people stupider, it just makes their stupidity more accessible to others.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:13:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll be 90 (if I live that long) when a kid born today will be able to run for POTUS. I could really care less about them. My concerns are about the ones born in the 60s - 70s messing with how I live my life till then.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#33]
My Kid is awesome. He is respectful, kind, generous and works. He also maintains an A-B average in school.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Dang kids, always a whackin' in my shed.

Quoted:
Get offa my lawn!

Danged whippersnappers.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Most people that complain about "kids these days" have no one to blame but themselves. They let it happen, they elected the people who make shitty laws and they are the reasons why we can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#36]
At 25, I blame the Baby Boomers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
no, not really.
Kids did not get felonies passing around nude pix of the local slut......hell we couldn't even get them to pose, let alone get the film developed.

OTOH, kids today are measurably less violent in general, and commit less crime. You're just not as ignorant as you used to be.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
no, not really.

OTOH, kids today are measurably less violent in general, and commit less crime. You're just not as ignorant as you used to be.

I did not grow up in Suburbia hell, nor in some big Shitty city.

I grew up in Chesapeake Va in the 70's and 80's.

Worse thing to happen was a fist fight over some pussy

Maybe City life was different........P.S. Fuck city life BTW
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:31:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
But What do you think?

I think you are way off base.  Our younger generations today (in general) are the most lazy, disrespectful, and entitled brats as we have ever seen.  Sure, there has always been generational differences but the latest group have really broken the mold.  Take your pick of whom to blame, there is plenty of that to go around.  Kudos to the parents who have produced "normal" kids today and likewise to those kids who turned out just fine, despite the social peer circumstances they have found themselves in.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well, to be fair some of their older stuff is more impressive than the newer stuff. The pyramids at Giza were some of their first accomplishments, with the pyramids being smaller and smaller each successive generation until they couldn't even afford to make them at all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:32:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a great kid so everyone can speak for themselves.

She's respectful to adults, she's gets straight A's and just made the cheerleading team for highschool (she's just finishing 8th grade) and overall gets along with her peers.

She's on track to be a great member of our society,

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:32:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why the hippies were their kids?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
no, not really.

From what I seen they are much better drivers too. I don't see how some folks lived long enough to reach their 30s by the way they drive. All the talk of cells and all but it's the 30 somethings that I always see a cell mashed against their ear and driving all over the road.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#44]
kids  these days are FAT
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same as it ever was.

no, not really.

Down here, they just lynched and beat the crap out of gays and blacks instead.  
Kids got stoned and hopped up on drugs instead of hibernating in front of an xbox.
You could take a shotgun to school, but had to rely on the good will of your local sheriff's office (who may or may not be part of a corrupt good ol' boy system) to exercise your right to carry a handgun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
kids  these days are FAT

They're not going to say no to fast food when the parents drop the ball and don't cook dinner.
I'm willing to bet if the kid is fat the parents are for sure fat also.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Just for grins, let's do a little GD experiment to see if we can demonstrate how moral values have gotten looser over time.

OK, now someone post pics of women wearing bathing suits commonly seen on today's beaches...

ETA:  Hint for those who don't get it––go read the CoC before you take me up on this.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Internet doesn't make people stupider, it just makes their stupidity more accessible to others.

True statement. I lived with a family in Seville for 4 months during college and loved traveling around Spain.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Used to be you had to at least look like you were intelligent before anyone would listen.  Nowadays, not so much.  The internet does, in effect, make people stupider.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Yep.

I been working since I was 13, never been in jail, never more that a two week stretch not working unless I was on disability, had a new truck at 19, that I paid for in full and drove for 13yrs.

Most of the people I grew up with were/are this way.
My Nephew and his buddies are constantly in trouble, doing Heroin, popping pills, cant hold a job, DUI's out the ass, wrecking cars, hittin their wimmin and have all the sexually transmitted diseases short of Aids, but there is plenty of time to catch that.

Yep, same as it ever was.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top