Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 7:00:41 AM EDT
My brother just visited the Statue of Liberty where they have airport type security screening for metal objects and x-rays of bags. But he mentioned that they also have a booth you step into that puff a bunch of air at the person and analyzes for explosives.

Anyone hear anything about these machines and when they would be implemented at airports? Might be a good idea after the Richard Reid incident and the recent Russian airline incidents.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#1]
i seen on the discovery channel a while back that they were slotting them for use at terminals, when?

i dunno
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I was at either Raleigh or Philladelpha about a year ago, I was randomly stopped.  They rubbed a piece of cloth on my breafcase handle and stuck int into a big brown machine.  After about 2 minutes a green light came on and I was sent on my way.  During those long two minutes I was wondering if I had touched my gun bag or anyother thing in my house that may have gun powder residue on it before going to the airport.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was at either Raleigh or Philladelpha about a year ago, I was randomly stopped.  They rubbed a piece of cloth on my breafcase handle and stuck int into a big brown machine.  After about 2 minutes a green light came on and I was sent on my way.  During those long two minutes I was wondering if I had touched my gun bag or anyother thing in my house that may have gun powder residue on it before going to the airport.

Same thing happend to me while leaving Las Vegas. I was really tense because I couldn't remember if I used that bag for a hunting trip and had ammo in it at one time...turns out I got the green light to go...but now I have a couple bags devoted to just travel...and not hunting trips.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I did a report on them in school. The puff of air supposedly dislodges the explosive particles from clothing etc and a gas chromatograph takes in and analyzes the air. If there is characteristics of explosives, it will sound an alarm. The thing is it doesn't have to be explosives on you. It could be explosives stuck to your clothing (eg demolition/construction worker, military, police, etc.) Not perfect but better than nothing
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Step in and

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top