Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#1]
More people smoked 40 years ago. And smoking will definitely age a person.
On the other hand obesity has increased because of the processed and fast foods and high calorie coffees...
Also today more women are electing for Cosmetic surgery, and makeup and hair dyes are better than they were in the past.
And today we have Rogaine which if used on a regular very consistent basis can partially reverse hair loss (Actor Matthew McConaughey had much less hair 20 years ago. He makes no secret of the fact that he regularly rubs Rogaine into his scalp everyday)

OP - your perception on aging is from Actors who already have lots of makeup on before they are filmed on the set. The Cheers Actor: Ted Danson wore a hairpiece (as did John Wayne and Humphrey Bogart). Hollywood actors tend to be in the 1% of the population that ages well, in addition to having fitness trainers and strict diet and exercise regimens, and they have money and access to really good plastic surgeons.
So your perception on aging may be more than a little skewed.

If you want to see how normal people are aging...go to a High School Reunion. Don't look at the 1%...just the average in the crowd.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Even the earth is rotating more slowly so duh!

Or preservatives in food.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]
It can't be just smoking, I'm 44 and have smoked for almost 30 years yet I look younger than all the age comparable examples in this thread. People regularly guess that I'm 10 years younger.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Less smoking, more sun screen
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#6]
This is due to climate change. Get with it people.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m almost 60

People think I’m 40.
A 30ish woman whom I’ve known at work for several years recently heard my actual age; her response was “no fucking way”.

I don’t do anything special, other than general exercise activities. I don’t eat junk food or drink soda; never like either.

It’s just the way it is.

ETA:  a doctor told me a long time ago that keeping active well past college age would pay off after 50.
 People are active at older ages than they used to be.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

The Sex in the City actresses are the age of the characters in Golden Girls.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’m a nurse who does psych assessments in an ER. Roughly 95% of the patients smoke. Even younger patients (18-25) actually smoke.

Besides them I don’t know anyone in my life who smokes.

View Quote

Most schizophrenics smoke as a form of self medication.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I looked 12, until I was 28... then I looked like I was about 22 for a year or so, and now I look 35, at 33.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
“Sarah Conner, 35, shot to death in her home”.

That was the first woman killed by Arnold in the first Terminator, at her front door. NFW would I take her for 35 - she always looked over 50 to me.
View Quote

Dude seriously.  I saw that movie a few days ago.  Was like there's no damn way she was 35.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Makeup has come a long way.

My wife watches YouTube videos on it all the time and she spend a small fortune on makeup that she special orders online. By contrast my Mother would pick up her makeup from the drug store back in the day and I'm guessing without the internet she learned from other women she knew personally and her mother probably instead of some chick in California who is damn near an artist.

Sun is a huge factor as well.  My wife wear sun screen every single day even in the dead of winter.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is a page out of a yearbook from 1957. I think people look old at a younger age back then. These are all 17 -18 year old kids.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It is all the preservatives in food.
View Quote
Without preservatives they'd have to hose you out of your warm-ups because you'd go bad faster than a banana on a hot sidewalk.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Smoke and sunshine.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
People aren't looking older.  Today people are attempting to look younger.
View Quote

I just think more people are a little better educated on making smarter life choices. I laugh at work as a guy that works with me and my administrative supervisor look and act like old fuckers. Some of the younger analysts thought they were in the their late 50's...overweight, bad knees, a bunch of medical issues...

I'm two years older than both and at 52, yet I get mistaken for early to mid-40's all the time (likely more to do with my immaturity than anything else ).

Take care of your damn body, don't stop being active, workout, don't act your age, eat better and cut down on the alcohol (I do smoke a cigar and drink a few fingers of bourbon once i while though!).

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Its all the preservatives we're eating
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Smoke and sunshine.
View Quote

and cocaine
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#19]
People probably aren't outside as much either. The Sun does a lot to age your skin.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Keanu Reeves is like 400 and something, he looks great!

I think Tom Cruise started drinking the same sort of blood because that guy hasn't aged in decades
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
People don't think smoking and drinking be like it is, but it do.
View Quote

FPNI.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#24]
A shot of formaldahyde daily.  

Eye keeeeeeeeed.  Don't do this at home, at work or anywhere else.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
People don't think smoking and drinking be like it is, but it do.
View Quote

I smoke and drink and at 40 many think I am 30 or younger.
(Must be my juvenile humor)
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#26]
HRT
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I think the Skipper on Gilligan's island was in his mid 40s. Crazy I'm as old as he was when the show started
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I personally have a hard time accepting that I'm "older" than Archie Bunker. But then I observe the way the kids at work refer to me and treat me and I accept the truth.
View Quote

Lol. Same. It’s downright painful.

Add. I was at a nursery the other day standing in line and the young girl behind the counter points to me and says “the old guy is next.” Ouch, that fucking hurt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Vsauce did a video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjqt8T3tJIE
View Quote

I’ll have to finish vid later but I found some new ‘material’

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#30]

You win the thread.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#31]
A lot of people have been giving me the 'FPNI', but honestly I think it's more than that.. I think in the past, people had to be more responsible at a far younger age and stress definitely ages you.

Look at how we bitch about millennials/zoomers not ever growing up or being forced to "adult" (the thing they hate the most).Those fuckers should live forever.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I suspect that part of it is lifestyle. Grandma and Grandpa started smoking in their teens, then went on to working 40 hours in a factory and struggling to feed six kids.
There were no microwaves or washer dryer combos, it was all physical labor.
Look at street people today, that guy that looks in his 60's is actually in his 40's, caused by poor nutrition and living on the street.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Everyone used to smoke and were bathed in second hand smoke everywhere they went.

Everyone used to spend a lot more time outside.  

Nothing ages us as fast as the sun….and smoking did it as well.

Also, don’t look to Hollywood to establish what people look like.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow they look like shit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#35]
It's mostly hairstyles.  Here are a couple of the Golden Girls with modern hair and make-up

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Most schizophrenics smoke as a form of self medication.
View Quote

Very few of the people I see are schizophrenic.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's mostly hairstyles.  Here are a couple of the Golden Girls with modern hair and make-up

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/167167/IMG_2765_JPG-2534152.jpg
View Quote

A lot more editing in these, it's not just hair that was done. But generally agree yes, old lady hair will make you look old.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Not smoking is a big part so is people not getting as much sunlight.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I was getting carded for booze into my 30s.

Then I went grey.  At 55 I probably look 55.

But I ain't Archie Bunker old.
View Quote

At 63 my wife looks quite young. She was getting carded in her mid 40s
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I didn't look my age for years. Good times! And then it caught up with me with a vengeance.
Oh well...........
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I just turned 40, my dad died from a massive heart attack at 43. Smoking, drinking hard alcohol and stress will ABSOLUTELY age you in dog years.

His hair was pure grey and he looked like an old man. Meanwhile I can pass for a rough late 20’s. Also my heart is in perfect condition.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Vsauce did a video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjqt8T3tJIE
View Quote

Pretty good, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Smoking today is remarkably indicative or at least correlated to social class.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a nurse who does psych assessments in an ER. Roughly 95% of the patients smoke. Even younger patients (18-25) actually smoke.

Besides them I don't know anyone in my life who smokes.

Smoking today is remarkably indicative or at least correlated to social class.
This is sad but very true. I work in two urgent care clinics in our system. One is in a very blue collar, poorer part of town. The other is in some suburbs where people who work in the tech industry live. The patient smoking rates are night and day difference. In the suburbs, I can go days without seeing a smoker. In the other clinic, I don't go one hour without seeing smokers. And on average, they look older.

Utah has very low smoking rates, typically about 10% of adults. I don't have any friends that smoke. Anyone smoking at a medical conference is viewed as a pariah anymore. And I'll wonder, "Where are these 10%?"

And then I went to the Iron Maiden concert a couple of nights ago. They were all there. Glad to see the smokers getting out for a fun evening.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I've noticed some severe aging in people over the last 2-3 years.  I guess it was something going around.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#45]
long time truck driver that had one side of his face exposed to the sun and the other barely at all

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Just look at high school kids. 18 year olds from years ago could pass as grown adults these days. Is it a coincidence that happened while kids were being babied more and more?

16 year olds used to be trusted with a lot more responsibility, now they look like little kids, because they're treated like little kids.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A shot of formaldahyde daily.  

Eye keeeeeeeeed.  Don't do this at home, at work or anywhere else.
View Quote

Jump to 1:20.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#48]
That looks like malnutrition.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Looks 65

I can’t believe the skipper was in his 40’s.  I’m older now than he was when I watched that show.  I’m a health nut and lost people think I look 35.  

Not smoking and drinking, and  eating healthy be like it is.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Its all the preservatives we're eating
View Quote

I've seen this posted enough in this thread (the first three I assumed were joking) that it made me think there could actually be something to it. Never considered this before.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top