Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By snakes19:
long time truck driver that had one side of his face exposed to the sun and the other barely at all

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/5cd8917621000058007f7a5c.jpeg?ops=scalefit_720_noupscale&format=webp
View Quote

if that is real, then wow
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By midcap:
You tend to age slower with you aren't worried about getting shot by the nazis or charlie

also...smoking
View Quote

Bingo. That and folks then worked physically harder. Hard physical labor takes a toll. Especially with a pack of Camels in the shirt pocket. Most middle aged folks from the 70s grew up smelling plow horse farts on Depression era farms. 80% of them. That and almost everybody smoked.

My brother demonstrated this with his hunting dogs. The beagles he hunted the most wore out/greyed out faster than his house pets.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 0002s:
People aren't looking older.  Today people are attempting to look younger.  People in the entertainment industry are getting 'tuned up' at much younger ages and the technology to make it look natural has gotten better.
View Quote

If we were merely talking about actors/actresses etc., then sure, but this applies to people in general, across the board.

FPNI, for one of the biggest factors, but it's not the only factor. There have been threads of HS yearbook photos from the 60s and 70s, where the 'kids' look like they're in their 30s.

I'm older than Wilford 'beetus' Brimley was when he starred in Cocoon, but I don't look anywhere even close to what he looked like. Health plays a big role, as do things like the effects of UV on skin, stress, (as well as the well known aging effects of smoking and alcohol).
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Wow!  Do June Cleaver now. Preferably in yoga britches!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not the years, it's the miles.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ClayHollisterTT:
You do realize that those actors were selected for their look for the role, don’t you?  

The other year I was looking at some old pics at my dads,  the middle aged moms in my neighborhood growing up were pretty hot. Much better than today.
View Quote

Actresses tend to develope a "look" for roles, too. I imagine some of that could be used in reverse to hide when they wanted to avoid attention in public. Wanna just run to the Kroger? Just put on some sweats, pull the hair in a ponytail/ball cap and change makeup a bit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ttushooter:
hairstyles and  clothing play alot into it as well.  in your younger years you perceive that style as something older folks did/looked like.  That is forever cemented into your brain now
View Quote

In another thread with old HS yearbook photos, I considered that possibility, and tried to account for it, by blocking/covering the hairstyles, and the faces of those HS seniors from the 60s and 70s STILL looked old.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
My grandmother recently died at age 98. At the funeral we saw some old pictures of her when she was late 30's/early 40's, and my sister commented "Wow she always looked old."

When she was 90 she looked 70. But when she was 40, she looked 60.
View Quote

When i was a kid, my granny and i were looking at a pic of her back when she was only 30. She said: "Shoot, i looked older then than i do now."  Of course she was a Depression era farm wife raising a mess of kids at 30.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Gen X, am mistaken for an early Zoomer, age wise.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Kspeer:

Dude seriously.  I saw that movie a few days ago.  Was like there's no damn way she was 35.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kspeer:
Originally Posted By PACorps:
“Sarah Conner, 35, shot to death in her home”.

That was the first woman killed by Arnold in the first Terminator, at her front door. NFW would I take her for 35 - she always looked over 50 to me.

Dude seriously.  I saw that movie a few days ago.  Was like there's no damn way she was 35.

Damn... I just checked (because a person's in-movie age, isn't always their actual age).

Marianne Muellerleile. She actually WAS 35 when Terminator was being filmed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:
Keanu Reeves is like 400 and something, he looks great!

I think Tom Cruise started drinking the same sort of blood because that guy hasn't aged in decades
View Quote

Tom Cruise held off the aging very well, until the accident while filming the roof jump in one of the Mission Impossible movies.

Ever since, he looks like he's aged significantly, compared to before that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
People don't think smoking and drinking be like it is, but it do.
View Quote
Poor dental care was another factor.  Even millionaires had bad/lost teeth by middle age up until not too long ago.
Not to mention the aging caused by the stress on everyone during the war...   even civilians that never left CONUS were subject to stress/privations during 1942-45 that would cause today's snowflakes to fall over and curl up in a ball.

Your avg 70 y/o from the mid-80s looked like the cryptkeeper...  there are 70 y/o people today that would pass for 40 back then.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By QCMGR:
Here is a page out of a yearbook from 1957. I think people look old at a younger age back then. These are all 17 -18 year old kids.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1874/0A50E0B3-8B4A-4B02-B880-FF04711829F5_jpe-2534069.JPG
View Quote

That's a grainy-ass photo, but as my post above states, cover the hair and decide if they still look a lot older. I think so.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:31:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: woodsie] [#14]
This one is my favorite.  John Ashton (Sgt Taggart) was 36 when Beverly Hills Cop was released:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:
long time truck driver that had one side of his face exposed to the sun and the other barely at all

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/5cd8917621000058007f7a5c.jpeg?ops=scalefit_720_noupscale&format=webp

Yes, it's real.

Here are more examples of how lifestyle differences affect aging in twins.

https://www.today.com/slideshow/effects-smoking-sun-stress-skin-twins-33422340

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By woodsie:
This one is my favorite.  John Ashton (Sgt Taggart) was 36 when Beverly Hills Cop was released:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/John_20Taggart_large_jpg-2534242.JPG

View Quote

Damn...

I'm way older, and still don't look as old as that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:56:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#17]
Originally Posted By midcap:
You tend to age slower with you aren't worried about getting shot by the nazis or charlie

also...smoking
View Quote

Stress can be a major disabler. My dad joined the US Navy in WWll at age sixteen. Dead at forty-six. Lifestyle. Stress. Smoking. E-8 in the military. I saw a few of them go early as well. Vietnam was eating some of them alive. That's okay, when my father passed away they were bombing the shit out of Hanoi and Hyphong with B-52s putting it on them. Fuck the communists. LBJ and his crew as well. What a fucking waste.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:57:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoStockBikes] [#18]
My opinion: Exercise (specifically “resistance training”) and not smoking.

Dude at work found out how old I was, and said “50 year olds aren’t supposed to look like that” and started quizzing me about my workouts. (For the record, I think I’m fat, but muscle under the fat, trying to get out)

I think that the #1 physical indicator of age is decreased muscle mass. We become weaker, which leads to being less active, which leads to being weaker… We turn into little old men.
If you lift weights and maintain muscle mass while you are able, you avoid the little old man syndrome.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Great news Danny, I'm not pregnant- turns out it was menopause!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By GrinningDag:

I never smoked or drank in my whole life. I'm 30 and people think I'm still in high school.
View Quote

I smoked from 17- 30.
I drink but not every day.

I recently shaved and went to a county fair.

Halfway into my beer, cop in the beer garden comes and asks for my ID. He have it a good bit of scrutiny.
He said I looked underage and suspected a fake ID.

I'm 33
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
Holy shit! That's incredible
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:10:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#23]

Wilford Brimley was 49-50 when they shot Cocoon.
Part of it was makeup, but not that much.

He was 44 when he did The China Syndrome.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:11:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#24]
Originally Posted By seaskidoo:

I smoked from 17- 30.

Halfway into my beer, cop in the beer garden comes and asks for my ID. He have it a good bit of scrutiny.

I'm 33
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By seaskidoo:

I never smoked or drank in my whole life. I'm 30 and people think I'm still in high school.

I smoked from 17- 30.

I'm 33

I got carded in North Richland Hills Texas in a convenience store buying Coors Light by some chick that looked older than me. I was 44. Lol.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

My dad had a long commute everyday for 35 years, lived north of where he worked. Sun on his left side of his face for over an hour twice a day.

Started getting cancer spots on his left side of his face in his late 60's.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/John_20Taggart_large_jpg-2534242.JPG

View Quote

I would have guessed he was mid 50s
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Umm, OP? You're getting older and your frame of reference is shifting.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:
View Quote

Nope.

Archie Bunker was 2 years older when All in the Family started, than I am right now, and looks 70 instead of 47. Lots of other examples throughout the thread.

People just looked A LOT older a couple decades ago.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
My opinion: Exercise (specifically “resistance training”) and not smoking.

Dude at work found out how old I was, and said “50 year olds aren’t supposed to look like that” and started quizzing me about my workouts. (For the record, I think I’m fat, but muscle under the fat, trying to get out)

I think that the #1 physical indicator of age is decreased muscle mass. We become weaker, which leads to being less active, which leads to being weaker… We turn into little old men.
If you lift weights and maintain muscle mass while you are able, you avoid the little old man syndrome.
View Quote

Not sure how common it is nowadays, but one of the basic indicators used in annual physicals in the past, was a grip dynamometer (Jamar was/is one of the most common for calibrated devices).

Grip strength tends to equate fairly well with overall strength/muscle mass levels, which in turn has a pretty good correlation to overall health for bodyweight.

I don't know if they're still in common use for annual physicals with Doc Average, but I still have one (and the thumb/pinch grip tester).
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#30]
big part of it is just the styles from the era. The golden girls pic kind of illustrates it.

I bet if you gave Dianne in cheers a modern makeover she would look quite young.
You've also sort of picked out a bit fatter people who usually age poorly.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

also this
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok, I'm assuming there was some thread in Team where everyone got together and decided to create this troll thread in GD.  Because, there is no way any of this is true.  No.  Way.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

also this
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Obo2:

also this

I found out this summer about perceptions of age. I was at a televised sporting event this summer, and later while watching re-runs, I noticed they panned over the section where I was seated. I replayed that bit of the recording. They showed an old goofy looking guy in my seat and wearing my clothes, but there's no way that old guy was me. I'm still young and handsome.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I have photos of my grandfather and great grandfather...they aged years and years due to being held in Soviet captivity before coming home to Hungary in 1951.

Great grandfather and his twin cousins and his other cousin on the left were all in their 40s in the photos after Soviet captivity.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Spencer Tracy was only 61 in Judgement at Nuremberg but he looks like a man in his mid 80s. Alcoholism took a big toll on him.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:
Spencer Tracy was only 61 in Judgement at Nuremberg but he looks like a man in his mid 80s. Alcoholism took a big toll on him.
View Quote

Heck, he looked well into his 70s years before that. Hard to believe he was only 54 or 55 in "Bad Day at Black Rock."

People keep mentioning smoking, but second hand smoke everywhere, whether you smoked or not, has to come into play to.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

Ann Davies (Alice) is a perfect example of someone who would probably cause jaw drops if she were to do one of those "makeover" overhauls. That's a solid body hiding under those maid clothes. I bet Sam would have preferred she had longer hair.
View All Quotes

Ann Davies (Alice) is a perfect example of someone who would probably cause jaw drops if she were to do one of those "makeover" overhauls. That's a solid body hiding under those maid clothes. I bet Sam would have preferred she had longer hair.

Sam didn’t care. He still brought the meat.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Most folks think I'm 10-15 years younger than I am, and are visibly surprised when I tell them my real age.

It works great with the late 30s to mid 40s women I date, for sure.  They're not out with dad but I can afford like I'm dad.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SAE:

I got carded in North Richland Hills Texas in a convenience store buying Coors Light by some chick that looked older than me. I was 44. Lol.
View Quote

I got carded occasionally until my early 40s
One cashier ( I was just out of the gym, still had workout clothes on ) told me it was the fitness that fooled her, and that her best friend was a workout nut who looked 20 years younger than her calendar age.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Yeah, but they mean as the janitor.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By macman37:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macman37:

Bro was around 49.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#43]
It's mostly genetics, but your bad habits will catch up to you.
My Dad lived to be 94; my mother is still going strong at 101.

I smoked unfiltered cigarettes for 34 years, frequently drank to excess in my college days, and don't eat a balanced diet or exercise on a regular basis . Up until even five years ago, people remarked that I looked twenty years younger than I am.

I'm 70, and these days I look it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RightHandTwist:
It's mostly genetics, but your bad habits will catch up to you.
My Dad lived to be 94; my mother is still going strong at 101.

I smoked unfiltered cigarettes for 34 years, frequently drank to excess in my college days, and don't eat a balanced diet or exercise on a regular basis . Up until even five years ago, people remarked that I looked twenty years younger than I am.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255788/selfie-2534357.jpg
View Quote

I wouldn't put you at 70 in that pic.  Good on you!

Recently I lived in an apt that was on top of shops.  I would sometimes catch the elevator to my floor with an attractive blond and we would be pleasant.
One day she introduced herself and we went from there.  She stopped mid conversation and said "how old are you?".   I told her and she was surprised, she was 42 and thought I was younger than her which would have been a deal killer, apparently.

Anyway.  I believe it, folks look younger these days than they did in the past.  Hair styles, smoke, diet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By BIGSHOOTER414:
FPNI
View Quote

I am telling you, FPNI phenom!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#47]

It is all the preservatives in food.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sixgunner45:
Something I noticed some time ago.

When you look back at people in the '70's and '80's, people just looked OLD.  Take the cast from All in the Family as one example.  Carrol O'connor (Archie) was 47 when the show started.  That is an OLD 47.   "Edith" isn't any better, she was 48 when the show started.

Yesterday I saw a meme of the cast of "Cheers" and their ages.  All of them were in their mid 30's and the old bartender, with one foot in the grave was 58.

My parents are 71 and 64 and just don't look "old" to me compared to looking at how others looked even in the '80's at their ages, and neither of them wear makeup or have any type of cosmetic surgery.

So, are we just not aging like we did even 30 years ago?  

https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/306638946_5385895864797036_1998492654106804056_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=0TJDe3iRsGQAX9mw3mD&tn=_BYtfhVqJtSim5r1&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=00_AT_rCjot1tHsQVHrkLaju1qpVdwCFY3ciJ35x_rwwrzTHA&oe=632FD0A4

It is all the preservatives in food.

Better living through chemicals.  

I noticed in Italy, women and men in the villages not only looked far older than their actual years, but BEHAVED like absolute geezers, even their late 50s onward.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sandblaster:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28220/F7368D6C-9AE1-41B6-89AE-AFFCA0C31911_jpe-2534369.JPG

Not bad.

She still needs to let that hair down.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By RightHandTwist:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255788/selfie-2534357.jpg
View Quote

I’d guess you at 55; no real wrinkles.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top